PDA

View Full Version : First time kokanee fishing on Nantahala

JWare
01-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Hello, My name is Jim and live in Rome Ga. I am an avid kayak angler and love to try my hand at new and unique fish. I've read about the kokanee in Nantahala for years and I've decided to give it a go. I've watched every youtube video and read every online article that I could find. I've bought some small chrome shasta dodgers, 1,2,4oz trolling weights and ordered some hootchie mommas in assorted colors. I'll have white green giant niblet corn and gulp maggots. I have elctronics on my boat and can easily maintain a trolling speed of .5-1.5mph. I sure I'm in for a great deal of frustration but I'm ok with that. My main questions(I welcome any advice btw) Can you catch them in winter? Deep or on the surface in cold weather? Do you ever get trout in with the salmon? I'll be up and will camp on one of the islands or public spots on the lower lake. I also plan on fishing for walleye at night/evening...I've caught walleye on a couple of Ga's lakes but I'm open for suggestions there also. I promise to post photos guaranteeing I'll have a huge smile if I catch one. Thanks in advance and Good fishing to you!

rgarbar
01-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Since Nantahala does not ice up I think you can catch kokes in the winter. The problem may be finding them as they will be all over the lake and all over the water column during the cold months mixed in with all the other fish. I have had my best sucess in the Months of May, June, and July. During those months the kokes are usually in the 30' to 50' depths of the lake. In late July and August they can really start going deep. 100'+ down and not easily fished for(with my light duty stuff). I have caught some decent sized trout, walleye, yellow perch and smallmouth bass fishing for kokes on kokanee terminal tackle. In the summer bite usually starts when Duke starts drawing water for generating(0900)hrs. Which intake they use can also effect the bite. The wakes from a lot of speed boats and overpowered geezer barges fron July 4 to mid august can make yakin and fishing a pain(I have a Yak). The lake basin can get very hot and humid and you will be tempted to take off you PFD. Mid week is best for me and I never fish Nantahala on the summer weekends because of the boat traffic.

JWare
01-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Thank you for the information, I'm going up saturday to fish in the river and I'll check out the ramps on the lake and possible camp sites.

rgarbar
01-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Your best bet is the Rocky Branch boat ramp. It is closer to the better Kokanee fishing waters. The Choga ramp is kind of a haul by yak(better bass fishing in that part of the lake). Wine Spring island is private, you might get chased. Little Choga island and Shore island are both on Forestry Service land and good camping spots. Another popular place to camp(my favorite) is the point of land to the west of Wine Spring island(across the lake). It is in the vicinity of the dam on the FS side. Good Kokanee/trout fishing in the area of the dam and the stretch of water to the Rocky Branch ramp.

JWare
01-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Thank you so much, do you know if any has a Lake map/marine topo in print or if its charted on navionics. I'm about to install a HB 597combo bottom machine on my kayak and was wondering if any of those chips may have this lake.

JWare
01-30-2013, 09:17 PM
I've camped in a neat little cove that had a stream running into it on Wayah rd. there was an Island out from the cove mouth.

rgarbar
01-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Sounds like Wine Spring Creek and your looking at Wine Spring Island(private). Been some reports of Kokes spawning up there! If you want some peace and quiet camp on the forestry property. Anyways there is some good koke fishing in that area and is convenient to the dam. I usually fish the main river channel and the branch channels. Rocky Branch and Wine Spring creek channels can be very productive. Your FF should easily find these. I use a primative HB 160 on my skiff and yak and it works fine.

JWare
01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Thank you for the information, I probably will cancel my trip this weekend due to the heavy rains. The Nf land is where Ill camp, thanks again.

1bigfish
02-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Looking forward to your sport report. Planning to fish the lake in March. Duke power reduced the lake level 30 feet this winter. Pretty hard for the salmon and trout to spawn. The only spawners I saw in the river this past fall was on a poachers stringer. He was snagging the salmon. Had 8 fish but got run off. Next year he will go to jail. We need Gomer to make a citizen's arrest.

1bigfish
04-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Still have not fished the lake. Did have some excellent trout fishing in the river. Big fish and lot of them. Not as good as last year but still pretty stellar.