PDA

View Full Version : things we are doing to our boats for this years fishing season

dragonfly
01-21-2013, 09:20 PM
I thought I would start a thread showing what we are doing or would like to do this year to our boats and share with others our ideas that mabye would help someone elese, or go I never would have thought of that! any way my idea came when I got tired of having to keep my anchor chain in a container so I wouldnt have to here it bounce on the deck or scrach the deck and sides of the boat when I had to haul it over the sides. I do a lot of hyd. work and need to protect the hoses from rubbing so I thought the sleeves I use on hyd hose would work perfect its nylon, soft, breaths, and dosn't rot and its black which goes with the boat (thats important) best of all its cheep. for my ss chain I use #16 or 1'' and about 6' of it, I slide it down the chain and tuck in about an inch and cut 2 small slices opposite each other and run a black zip tie (not because it matches the boat they are uv resistance and wont crumble like the white ones do over time) thru and chain above the anchor if you use the break away style like I do or to the anchor eye if you don't. do the same thing on the last chain link before the rope conection and you are done no more noise, scrached floor, or hot chain, and no more container I have to worry about blowing out. simple and easey here are some pictures for those that have never seen it before. dfly http://imageshack.us/a/img835/6329/003czd.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img502/7350/004igp.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img571/1174/005jn.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img502/9043/006mwc.jpg

Bluknight
01-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Looks like a great solution. My length of chain is rubber coated but I don't that will last very long before it starts breaking down and crumbling over the deck. Where would one get that stuff you used?

Bluknight
01-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Oh yeah - In response to your thread other than pulling maintenance on my outboards I only have trying to figure out a step stool / lead storage solution for my boat. When I sit on the transom to run the kicker my legs dangle and don't reach the ground. When I'm on the kicker for 2 hours straight I tend to lose feeling in my legs. You know like when you spend too long on the toilet! Anyway I figured a step stool type deal to put my feet on while trolling and make it easier for those less agile to get in to the boat would be nice. Also - why not put a lead on it and store lead cannon balls. I tried the high end version of this getting one fabb'd out of diamond plate but it is a bit of a pain in the a*% to move out of the way once a fish is on. I'll see if I can pull it together and share my results. Anyone want a nice diamond plate box with a lid?

SuperD
01-22-2013, 11:33 AM
bluknight, depending on how married you are to the weight storage idea, these steps fold up and store nicely out of the way when you don't need it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-12-Folding-Step-Stool/16206978

SuperD
01-22-2013, 11:35 AM
My boat modification for the Winter was to add a secondary bilge pump.

http://imageshack.us/a/img832/2474/bilge3.jpg

mrmike
01-22-2013, 12:10 PM
My fishing partner (wife) just purchased for my Christmas present a new Ripe Tide 101 thrust auto Pilot Minn Kota Electric for my sled. Will be in the process of mounting it here shortly. Will have some custom made removal bracket so I can take the unit on and off, its 36 volts (3 batteries). I have a guide model sled having it removalable it might interfer with my anchor system. I'll get it worked out.

dragonfly
01-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Bluknight I get it at a-1 coupling in tigard, wholesale it runs about $1.22 a foot, cheeper if you buy a 100' roll. retail $2.00 you should be able to find it at most hyd shops I give you the price so you can gage if you are getting a good deal or not where ever you buy it

Bluknight
01-22-2013, 11:02 PM
SuperD - That looks like a very good option. I thought I was doing good trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. Instead I got a pain in the butt from it. I have bench seats so I think a little organization tray inside one of those will hold weights just fine.

Dragonfly - thanks for the heads up on the pricing. I'll have a look around

Kokanee-Toni
01-23-2013, 01:52 AM
This is a good place for ideas.

What am I doing for my boat? I am, with the help of friends, trying to get a boat ready for the water.
My old boat is a 12 foot 1977 Sears Gamefisher. I got an unexpected inheritance and I spent it on a beautiful red 15 foot 5802 boat.
To find out that the motor and trailer were good but the transom, stringers were like wet sawdust.
Then we had a fundraiser and collected about 1/2 of the money and I bought this 15 foot boat.
The blue boat.5801 Which was in much better shape.

So I had Steve and Trent trade the boats trailers, took off the 1973 65horse Evenrude Triumph with the controls (which is for sale). Then sold the trailer and gave the boat to the person who bought the trailer who is restoring it.
But I didn't want a putting green for the floor 5803 so Trent took out the carpet 5804 and there was a soft spot that they cut out.

And the power trim didn't work on the motor of the blue boat so I bought the trim motor and Steve and Trent put it on. It works now.

I took out the back to back seats that was in it and someone gave me 5805 these boxes. I have the swivel seats to put on them. eenakok gave me a bench seat, a Gramin fish finder and kokanee_slayer gave me 2 manual downriggers, and winterun gave some $$.
I have a new bilge pump waiting at Cabela's and Steve and Trent are putting the new roller bunks on the trailer that I bought.
So I need to get the resin and fiberglass for the floor. But we are going to do the whole floor with new foam and fiberglass the stringers...but that is another story.
Then have to figure out where to put the downriggers, fish finder, and all the other stuff one needs for a bigger boat.

If I didn't have a whole lot of people helping me I wouldn't have a new to me, boat, to put in the water this spring.

dragonfly
01-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Toni, sounds like you have a lot of great friends I know there are a lot of people here with a lot of experience and been there done that, that will be willing to give advice when you get ready to start assembly. so when you have a problem or question weather it be boat or fishing you can't beat the experience combined here. dfly

SuperD
01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
The green carpet is hilarious! It looked pretty plush. Once you put the 2 box seats in, look at the floor space and ask yourself if you really need the bench seat. My first boat was a 16' and I felt like I couldn't step backwards without tripping over something. I took the back to back seats out and just went with the 2 front seats. It made it much more fishable. Start another thread Toni and give us the blow by blow progress as the boat comes together.

kokanee_slayer
01-23-2013, 04:16 PM
This years Winter project was to upgrade from Manual to Electric Downriggers and add a second battery. That work is done but am considering adding a bait station.

SuperD
01-23-2013, 05:06 PM
This years Winter project was to upgrade from Manual to Electric Downriggers and add a second battery. That work is done but am considering adding a bait station.
Does your boat have an offshore bracket? Bait tanks done properly take up a lot of room!

kokanee_slayer
01-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Does your boat have an offshore bracket? Bait tanks done properly take up a lot of room!

No, I don't have an Offshore Bracket and you're exactly right; the room involved is the delema. I really don't require a bait tank to store live bait for the fishing I typically do. So I'm kicking around some ideas to try and come up with something that will work with the space available.

dragonfly
01-23-2013, 10:06 PM
heres a project I did a few years ago it's for the top of the dog house. it is wasted space so I made use of it. it holds my cooler,corn, scents, knife,papper towles etc. all at table height its my crab pot holder/dumping and sorting bin. and landing, wacking and cleaning station, when done I take my wash down and hose every thing out the back and into the water nothing ever gets in the boat and it hinges with the dog house so I still have access to the engine. dfly http://imageshack.us/a/img713/8409/005kn.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/9429/003pmc.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img841/8140/002fjy.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img576/8792/001oqq.jpg

SilverBullets
01-23-2013, 10:34 PM
heres a project I did a few years ago it's for the top of the dog house. it is wasted space so I made use of it. it holds my cooler,corn, scents, knife,papper towles etc. all at table height its my crab pot holder/dumping and sorting bin. and landing, wacking and cleaning station, when done I take my wash down and hose every thing out the back and into the water nothing ever gets in the boat and it hinges with the dog house so I still have access to the engine.

might want to check the regs on that

dragonfly
01-23-2013, 11:31 PM
silver what regs are we talking about i,ve had coast gaurd, state and sheriff on board , if you are talking fish cleaning as long as they are not dismembered and able to see fin clips, sex,and species and are just gutted thats fine acording to all 3 same with getting eggs as long as you have the carcass in possession in the field is ok, in oregon any way

SilverBullets
01-23-2013, 11:53 PM
silver what regs are we talking about i,ve had coast gaurd, state and sheriff on board , if you are talking fish cleaning as long as they are not dismembered and able to see fin clips, sex,and species and are just gutted thats fine acording to all 3 same with getting eggs as long as you have the carcass in possession in the field is ok, in oregon any way

You might be right. It mentions "unlawful to dispose of dead animal (fish) carcasses, or parts thereof" under general regs. I took it as the guts too since under the general statewide regs the definition of chumming (which is illegal oregon lakes) reads "depositing in the water any substance, not attached to a hook, which may attract fish". Maybe i'm reading too much into this.

SuperD
01-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Hey, crawdads and catfish have to eat too! LOL!

dragonfly
01-24-2013, 12:32 AM
silver I talked with them about that and they said it would have to be a deliberat act to stop you for chuming. I am usually cleaning as we idle in from fishing or while waiting to get inline to load up thanks for asking

kokanee_slayer
01-24-2013, 10:31 AM
heres a project I did a few years ago it's for the top of the dog house. it is wasted space so I made use of it. it holds my cooler,corn, scents, knife,papper towles etc. all at table height its my crab pot holder/dumping and sorting bin. and landing, wacking and cleaning station, when done I take my wash down and hose every thing out the back and into the water nothing ever gets in the boat and it hinges

Good idea dragonfly and nice fab work!!! Kokanee-Toni provided me with a similar idea last year to utilize the space in front and perhaps above my main outboard which may be the route I take.

SilverBullets
01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
silver I talked with them about that and they said it would have to be a deliberat act to stop you for chuming. I am usually cleaning as we idle in from fishing or while waiting to get inline to load up thanks for asking

Thanks for the heads-up DF. Yeah.. I allways thought what difference would it make as long as it's done with no poles in the water...there's spawned out fish all over the lake anyway. laugh hyst

lowe1648mt
01-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Kokanee _slayer,
If you have a outboard, take a look at clearances when you tilt the motor.

kokanee_slayer
01-24-2013, 06:39 PM
If you have a outboard, take a look at clearances when you tilt the motor.

Good Point Chris !!!! I've taken some initial measurements and think there is enough clearance if I go that route. Still exploring options at this point but I have picked up some good ideas and tips on the forum.

dragonfly
01-24-2013, 07:44 PM
the one thing I am going to do with the fish deck is add some of that adhessive, tope mesure tape to the bottom or the sides to quick check the length of fish. dfly

SuperDaveMT
01-25-2013, 01:54 PM
I bought my boat (crestliner canadian 165) when it was cold and figured out last spring when it thawed that the floor was rotting out. I muddled through the summer, but pulled it out recently. I ordered the marine grade plywood, stitched it together (floor's 56" wide at the widest point), used the old floor for a template and cut it out. Now I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit so I can seal it in bed liner (durabak) top and bottom and reinstall. I'd like to add some slide in tackle storage, but the area I have to work with isn't really big enough for the commercially available stuff so I'll have to see what I can come up with.

SuperD
01-25-2013, 02:27 PM
dave, while you have the floor out, is there any room for a floor hatch or is it all foam and fuel tank?

SuperDaveMT
01-25-2013, 02:47 PM
There isn't much room under the floor - a center channel for the livewell intake/drain and the rest is foam. If I could put a gastank under the floor, that would open up a great spot at the transom for the storage I'd like to have, but I don't think the floor space is deep enough.

dragonfly
01-26-2013, 03:53 PM
ok every good wacker needs a scabbard! I was going fishing this morning and my budy had to work so I was looking at my wacker and remembered how I keep it in the side tray to keep it from rolling around or hang it from the cooler and thought, I got to come up with a better way so I thought 'scabbard' so I found some aluminum tig welded the bottom and drilled a drain hole, cut and arched the top and made the back so it will clip to my fish tray or the lower lip on the side trays on the boat. so its handy but out of the way. here are some pics. dfly http://imageshack.us/a/img201/6739/018os.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img713/6268/015nit.jpg

autorick
01-27-2013, 01:27 AM
I am hooking up a Humminbird 788cidi tomorrow for when i am on the back deck i wont have squint into the cabin to see what is happening.

kokanee_slayer
01-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I am hooking up a Humminbird 788cidi tomorrow for when i am on the back deck i wont have squint into the cabin to see what is happening.
Very Nice!! I have a Hummingbird 597 ci hd and love it but only have a 16ft boat so I don't have to look too far to see it. LOL

Kokanee-Toni
01-30-2013, 11:08 PM

That is really cool!

eenakoK
01-31-2013, 04:02 AM
I am hooking up a Humminbird 788cidi tomorrow for when i am on the back deck i wont have squint into the cabin to see what is happening. Very Nice!! I have a Hummingbird 597 ci hd and love it but only have a 16ft boat so I don't have to look too far to see it. LOL

You are going to have a fish killing machine.. Can't wait to see it!

Winterun
01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
I am hooking up a Humminbird 788cidi tomorrow for when i am on the back deck i wont have squint into the cabin to see what is happening. Very Nice!! I have a Hummingbird 597 ci hd and love it but only have a 16ft boat so I don't have to look too far to see it. LOL

I have the same unit! 788 CI HD Combo. It has more bells and whistle's on it than I can use. But the color screen is excellent to look at and in bright sunlight no problems at all, well unless you have polarized sunglasses on. Just keep updating the software, it's expandable, and has an extra card slot for transferring those secret spots from your unit to your computer!!!

Now I gotta go find something to do to my boat!!!

Winterun

Kokanee-Toni
01-31-2013, 09:30 PM
I have the same unit! 788 CI HD Combo. It has more bells and whistle's on it than I can use. But the color screen is excellent to look at and in bright sunlight no problems at all, well unless you have polarized sunglasses on. Just keep updating the software, it's expandable, and has an extra card slot for transferring those secret spots from your unit to your computer!!!

Now I gotta go find something to do to my boat!!!

Winterun
You could come and work on mine. I have lots to do?

T K
02-01-2013, 01:01 AM
4 years ago, got married, had two kids and bought a POS fixer upper house. Been a little too busy for fishing. Things are calming down a bit now. Got my boat from my brothers house last week. Lund WC 14, Honda 20 hp. Been cleaning and going over everything. My Cannon down rigger power cables were dry rotted. Replaced those. Oil change. Batteries charged. New trolling motor wired up.
Going to try to hit up Berryessa Friday and see how it goes. I feel like a teenage girl waiting for a Justin Beeber concert.

Steelheadin360
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Started my pre-spring boat repairs on the livingston this week. i used it for crabbing last year so i had a few things to fix from banging it off rocks. Had to re fiberglass part of the middle keel due to it just rotting out for some reason. pulled the main keel strips off and filled in the screw holes and ordered some new keel strips from livingston. sanded down the hole bottom of the boat and shot it with black gelcoat yesterday. my little 4horse kicker was running a little ruff last time so i pulled it apart and found the problem, float bowl was rusted out. trying to find parts for a late 70s kicker is almost impossible. but google didnt fail me and for the price of $45 bucks i got a new float and float bowl heading my way. im also gonna cut out the top of one of the back "seat" but leave enough around the outside to put a carpeted plywood top and install my battery inside of it and mount my fish finder on top. im also thinking anout doing the same thing under my seat and putting my gas tank under it. just gotta find a more square shaped one.

I also sold my 25 horse jet drive, it came off my little john boat and just didnt work on the livingston at all, it took one trip to figure that out. so im in the market for a 2 stroke 20-25 horse short shaft. or a 15-20 horse 4 stroke. order a new prop for the minnkota, spooled the downriggers with braid instead of cable.. pretty much gonna be ready to kill some few in a few weeks

Scrminbanshee
02-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Well, I just wired in a new lowrance elite 7hdi. While i was in the process i had to move around the scotty rod holders and then i also added some rod holders to the boat. Up next is going to be another down rigger, been debating on electric or manual. The electric would be nice but is so expensive. I am also going to add an i pilot to minn kota but the guy at cabelas that i bought my sounder from said to wait till march cause there should be a sale going on then.

Hey steelheadin360 good idea on going with a 15 to 20 horse i had a 14ft livingston before the lund and put a 25hp prop on the back and planing that thing was a bit intense. The bow would come up so high i couldn't see so i would find a clear path and then hope none would get in my way. It did have a 15 on it and was a bit underpowered but would still run at about 17mph but i think the 20 would be the way to go unless you want to add forward controls but then it get expensive.anyways just my two cents.

Steelheadin360
02-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Yea im going for the 2 stroke 20 route I think. Thanks for the input. I usaully try to put the fuel tank up front if im by myself in the boat because of the planning problem. i put my dads 15 horse on it and his prop i think is pitched a little weird, took a bit to get it up on a plane and get the rpms up but when it did gawd dang did that boat move out. i dont usaully use the gas motor for trolling so the high speed option would be nice :)

kokanee_slayer
02-01-2013, 03:27 PM
I used to have a 12ft Lund with a 15hp 4-stroke and to help it plane better I installed a Doel-fin Hydrofoil Stabilizer on the outboard and put 120 lbs of ballast in the bow when fishing by myself. It plane out well and at WOT it would do 18 to 20 mph.

Scrminbanshee
02-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Yea im going for the 2 stroke 20 route I think. Thanks for the input. I usaully try to put the fuel tank up front if im by myself in the boat because of the planning problem. i put my dads 15 horse on it and his prop i think is pitched a little weird, took a bit to get it up on a plane and get the rpms up but when it did gawd dang did that boat move out. i dont usaully use the gas motor for trolling so the high speed option would be nice :)

I also ran the hydrofoil on the motor.when i went with a new motor i put a 25hp etec out back. I would think that a 20hp two stroke would be the way to go. Doesnt the plate say no bigger than a 20 without a remote steer? If so they nailed it lol.

T K
02-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Up next is going to be another down rigger, been debating on electric or manual. The electric would be nice but is so expensive.

When I was rigging up my boat I asked a friend of mine about down riggers. He had two manual. I asked if he did it again what would he wished he would have gotten. He said," electric motors". "Cranking those manuals up and down all day gets old real fast". I took his advise and got electric downriggers (Cannon Mini Mags) and have been soooo glad I did. I can hear people from across the lake cranking theirs up while I just hit the switch and wait for mine to come up. Think about how many times your stuff goes up and down in a day. The extra money is well spent.

kokanee_slayer
02-02-2013, 02:28 AM
I also ran the hydrofoil on the motor.when i went with a new motor i put a 25hp etec out back. I would think that a 20hp two stroke would be the way to go. Doesnt the plate say no bigger than a 20 without a remote steer? If so they nailed it lol.
It's been a while and I don't remember the HP limitations but it did make quite a difference in performance. Agree the 2-Stroke has a much better power to weight ratio. However, the 4-Strokes are much quieter and lot more fuel efficient. Obviously, it just depends what you are looking for.

kokanee_slayer
02-02-2013, 02:39 AM
When I was rigging up my boat I asked a friend of mine about down riggers. He had two manual. I asked if he did it again what would he wished he would have gotten. He said," electric motors". "Cranking those manuals up and down all day gets old real fast". I took his advise and got electric downriggers (Cannon Mini Mags) and have been soooo glad I did. I can hear people from across the lake cranking theirs up while I just hit the switch and wait for mine to come up. Think about how many times your stuff goes up and down in a day. The extra money is well spent.

I agree on the electric downriggers. I fished with manuals for years which weren't too bad for lake fishing with 8 lbs weights and typically running no deeper than 50ft. However, when fishing the Salt and cranking up 13 lbs weights from depths of 100+ ft, it got old real fast. LOL

dragonfly
02-02-2013, 10:30 AM
T K are you mountimg them mid way,in between, or at the rear ? good choice going electric saves a lot of time, also something to consider is having them set up with ball retrivers makes life a lot easier too. dfly

T K
02-02-2013, 11:46 AM
T K are you mountimg them mid way,in between, or at the rear ? good choice going electric saves a lot of time, also something to consider is having them set up with ball retrivers makes life a lot easier too. dfly

Mine are mounted off of each side at the back.

dragonfly
02-02-2013, 10:27 PM
OK I am doing some minor overhaul work to my electrical to get ready for my 2 scannons I am modifying. I will be adding 2 group 27's to the starboard side cleaning up the wiring and adding another transducer for the digitroll 10's and will be permanently mounting and wiring the 2106's to the forward gunnel's first I had to figure out the slope of the gunnel's which is 8 degrees then I got a piece of 1'' thick black uhmw and cut to 6''x 8''and and milled an 8 degree angle and drilled the 4 holes and made backing plates out of 1-1/4 x 1/4'' SS flat bar and mounted the scotty mounting plates, ball retrievers, and the scotty 6'' risers to clear the rails heres pictures of the project so far. gfly
http://imageshack.us/a/img713/6750/012ggk.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img692/5017/013kkw.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img41/9228/014bh.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img836/8216/015rhx.jpg

Scrminbanshee
02-03-2013, 01:21 AM
Dam dfly you been busy huh?

I agree on the electric down riggers. i just hate how expensive they are.

dragonfly
02-03-2013, 12:56 PM
thanx Scrminbanshe also if you noticed in the lower picture top center I installed a led flood light it not only lights up the rear deck area but I turn it on when backing down the boat launch and lights up the whole area for those dark thirty fishing starts something to think about when setting up lighting. dfly

DLM
02-03-2013, 03:47 PM
having a place for the net and boat pole so they are handy but out of the way was a problem so I came up with this and mounted them behind the cab so they don't take up much room but are easy to get to when needed dfly

Dragonfly

Tell me about the light on top of the tower. I don't have a tower, but I need to light up the back of the boat in some way. I have been looking at LED systems but am concerned about how much light they actually put out.

dragonfly
02-03-2013, 06:03 PM
DLM it boils down to how much light you need. todays LEDs rival there halogen counter parts , and out last them by years they are sealed and potted so weather or vibration doesn't affect them, and use very little power. the light on the right is the halogen that came with the boat the one on the left is a 10 led which put out way too much light and I switched to the 6 led which still puts out more light than the halogen but spreads out wider and has a more pleasing light. they are still spendy retail but once mounted you won't have to mess with them again we use them on our drill rigs which is the toughest environment out there, and they have been maintenance free. they are a work/flood light see, www.trucklite.com for some info. the ones we use are imports from Fleet Pride if you want to check them out. dflyhttp://imageshack.us/a/img46/2918/003jej.jpg

DLM
02-04-2013, 10:45 AM
DLM it boils down to how much light you need. todays LEDs rival there halogen counter parts , and out last them by years they are sealed and potted so weather or vibration doesn't affect them, and use very little power. the light on the right is the halogen that came with the boat the one on the left is a 10 led which put out way too much light and I switched to the 6 led which still puts out more light than the halogen but spreads out wider and has a more pleasing light. they are still spendy retail but once mounted you won't have to mess with them again we use them on our drill rigs which is the toughest environment out there, and they have been maintenance free. they are a work/flood light see, www.trucklite.com (http://www.trucklite.com) for some info. the ones we use are imports from Fleet Pride if you want to check them out. dfly

Thanks for the info, now I just have to figure out a mounting system,

SuperD
02-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Dave,
Another nice light source and easy mount is the light that clamps to the handle bars on a bike. I have 2 that I put on the bimini tubes. They produce a good amount of light and I can direct them where I need them.

There are several types out there and I'm posting this one just to show the easy mount to bimini top tubes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y1IO7E/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/187-9266338-2198633?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=059H27VCFN1HK2Q08CR5&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B0034IAQM2

DLM
02-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Dave,
Another nice light source and easy mount is the light that clamps to the handle bars on a bike. I have 2 that I put on the bimini tubes. They produce a good amount of light and I can direct them where I need them.

There are several types out there and I'm posting this one just to show the easy mount to bimini top tubes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y1IO7E/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/187-9266338-2198633?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=059H27VCFN1HK2Q08CR5&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B0034IAQM2

What a great idea. I tend to over think stuff and miss the simple answers like this one. Thanks for the tip.

sawtooth
02-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Both light systems look like winners. I like the ease of the bike light idea and will probably give it a try. I don't usually need light for my summer koke fishing, but early season kokes or fishing springers on the Columbia will definitely call for a light at 0 dark thirty. If I used a light more often than a couple of times a year, the hard wired system that dragonfly has would by worth the time it takes to set it up. Thanks guys for the suggestions. Dragonfly, you certainly have a talent for making goods products even better. Thanks for sharing.

dragonfly
02-05-2013, 12:25 AM
thanx sawtooth. my wife and kids were complaining about getting back on the boat after swimming and said they would like a step, and after a couple years of looking for one I could live with and not having any luck I decided to make my own, it had to lock in place without pins had to be low enuf so as not to inter fear with the big cooler on the upper swim deck when crabbing, and be able to be used for getting on and off the boat when trailered with out swinging around so I made this one with a cam setup when down it has a positive stop. to put upright you just swing up then when up you push down and drops in the cam slots and locks in place to drop back down you pull up and swing back down.and now every body is happy and it makes for not having to crawl over the sides to get in or when loading up gear to go. here are a couple of pictures dflyhttp://imageshack.us/a/img6/2386/006bhyp.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img268/7912/005vfk.jpg

sawtooth
02-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Another nice addition dragonfly. I wish I had your welding skills.

kokanee_slayer
02-05-2013, 11:20 AM
dragonfly,
You are quite the fabricator!!!!

This thread is loaded with great ideas and am going to implement some of them on my rig.

Steelheadin360
02-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Dfly thats quite the machine!! very nice ideas!

My parts came for my small kicker, got that bad chicken going and running good. So this last weekend i took the boat out to lake stevens to do a leak test. let it sit for a half hour and didnt see any leaks and it just so happened i brought my fishing gear with! spent about six hours on the lake and the kicker did great, electric motor did great, boat worked awesome, loving the braid on the riggers. now its time to start cutting stuff up and opening up some room in the boat

dragonfly
02-05-2013, 02:51 PM
heres something I do when my boat is going to sit for long periods I have a tricker trailer with torflex axles I use my floor jack and jack up one side at a time and put a jackstand on the frame between the tires so the tires are off the ground and no load on the axles now you can check or pack the brgs. air tires and what ever other stuff you need to do. my trailer is a 2004 with a 22' t-jet and I have been doing this sence 2006 when I bought it. last summer my friend from medford came up with his 2007 21't-jet same trailer and we were at wall mart parked side by side and he noticed how much more tire clearance my trailer had compaired to his. so we started to look at the axles and noticed they were sagging more than mine not to the point of replacement but worn more so. the only thing I can think is by lifting my axles and taking the load off, the axles don't take a set and load the rubber. just my thoughts

dragonfly
02-10-2013, 12:34 PM
know this may all ready be known by you guys but while at the sportsman show I picked up a some scotty rocket launchers to replace my quick draws and when I got them home I noticed that they had a new (to me)quick release which I love. now you don't have to pull up and twist to the right spot to pull out. now it's just push button and pull straight out, no mater what position they are in. which will be convenient when having to remove them all for theft reason when travailing or storing. just one of those things that makes life a little easier.
and all my other scotty products fit the new quick release. dflyhttp://imageshack.us/a/img402/516/001uqp.jpg

Kokanee-Toni
02-12-2013, 11:11 AM
I worked on my trailer while Steve worked on the floor of my boat. There was more stringer rot than first thought.

dragonfly
02-12-2013, 01:06 PM
toni thats sucks but at least now you can build the floor the way you want it with better materials and you can add storage, esey access to the fuel tank, plumb for a kicker run conduit under the floor to the back so you don't have to run wires under the side rails,make a nice bilge sump, come up from the floor for rod storage be able to plate for petestal seats, frame for a crab davit etc. etc. and then you will have what you want. dfly

kokanee_slayer
02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Toni, that’s a bummer. This is reminiscent of some remodeling projects; I’ve done on older homes. As you dig deeper and peel the layers back, you find all sorts of nice surprises. At least, when completed you’ll have a good, solid rig which can be configured to fit your desires.

Kokanee-Toni
02-19-2013, 03:39 PM
My son put the seats on the boxes then came and told me the boatless seats were ready. tooexcited

kokanee_slayer
02-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Very Nice Toni !!!

autorick
02-20-2013, 05:34 PM
I noticed my gear case on the yamaha 9.9 kicker was leaking, so I tore it apart and replaced the seals, gaskets and water pump. Took it out last weekend and no leaks! I also installed a eletrical filter thing, from Humminbird, to go in front of the new 788 di and installed a boat charger for the batteries. Now I can just plug in the boat and the charger will top off and maintain the batteries.

SuperD
02-20-2013, 06:17 PM
A couple weeks back I raised my main motor 2" to the last holes on my bracket. And Friday was my first chance to get out and test it. My cavitation plate is now running at the surface as prescribed for optimum performance. The boat handles like a race car now and is much more responsive. However, I think the new position is going to require me to do some re-propping to get the max speed where I want it.

plugs
02-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Been a busy couple weeks. I took my drift boat last season and bought 2 Riviera downriggers that were way to big for my drift boat and mounted them. I decided they had to go for the new season. So this last couple weeks I've ordered 2 pedistals for the 2 new scotty 1061's I just got. so I could use them. I put a new floor in my drift boat. It had none being a older Clackacraft drifter. Yesterday it was a trip to Steven's Marine to buy a brand new 9.9 XXL shaft 4 stroke. Hung the old 7 1/2 Johnston in the garage. Soon as the risers come for the Scotty downriggers and get em mounted I'll be ready. Hopefully before next weekend as Saturday is my birthday and intend on fishing Merwin Lake for the day.

kokanee_slayer
02-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Replaced my manual down-riggers with electric Scotties and added a second battery. I was having a few issues so I added and Automatic Charging Relay (ACR). They are spendy little rascals but well worth the money.

Steelheadin360
02-26-2013, 09:24 PM

laid some new gel coat on the livingston, added seats. and mounted my downriggers!

dragonfly
02-26-2013, 09:44 PM
looks good steelheadin especially doing in this weather. now thats dedication. dfly

Steelheadin360
02-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks Dfly. Got a nice break in the weather yesterday. ive been waiting to spray it for about 2 weeks now. got the messy part done with and put it in the warm garage to bake up. not the prettiest job but it looks alot better then the yellowing white chalky color that it was before. Today was a little chilly but i wanted to get the riggers on. Hitting the lake tomorrow!

kokanee_slayer
02-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Steelheadin360, I love Livingstons as they are one of the most stable boats out there. Had a smaller one for years and loved it.thumbsup

Steelheadin360
02-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Its an awesome little boat! Way easier then draggin the jetsled to the lake and burning a bunch of gas!

dragonfly
03-30-2013, 08:19 PM
OK I am doing some minor overhaul work to my electrical to get ready for my 2 scannons I am modifying. I will be adding 2 group 27's to the starboard side cleaning up the wiring and adding another transducer for the digitroll 10's and will be permanently mounting and wiring the 2106's to the forward gunnel's first I had to figure out the slope of the gunnel's which is 8 degrees then I got a piece of 1'' thick black uhmw and cut to 6''x 8''and and milled an 8 degree angle and drilled the 4 holes and made backing plates out of 1-1/4 x 1/4'' SS flat bar and mounted the scotty mounting plates, ball retrievers, and the scotty 6'' risers to clear the rails heres pictures of the project so far. gfly
http://imageshack.us/a/img713/6750/012ggk.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img692/5017/013kkw.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img41/9228/014bh.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img836/8216/015rhx.jpg

dragonfly
04-13-2013, 04:07 PM
I have added a lot of electrical components to her over the years and needed to update the wiring so the first thing I need are hi amp rated bus bars with multiple connections but I could not find any that would work or I could modify so I found a 2'' x 8'' x 3/8'' copper bar drew out what I needed
http://imageshack.us/a/img833/8743/006mph.jpg

split it took it over to the mill squared it up layed out the holes drilled and tapped them
http://imageshack.us/a/img692/4599/002fxu.jpg

the 1st one is 3/8'' for the main power lead that will be 4ga cable the next 4 are 1/4'' for the 4 downriggers the last 12 are # 10 machine screws for every thing else. there are 2 bars one for positive the other one for negative.(I know I could stack my terminals but this way each accessory has it's owne terminal and will be labeled so I know what is what) here are a few things to get started
http://imageshack.us/a/img38/4766/003hr.JPG

1 gage wire for the main cables ( I am adding 2 group 27 batts to the starboard side), 4 ga to run to the bus bars ,10 ga and 14 ga sealed fuse holders for ato type fuses depending on the load, dielectric grease. wire labeler plus all the wire and cable ends. this is as far as I got today I will show the wiring lay out when I get it drawn along with the SS batt tray, bus bar compartment and the wiring. dfly

Scrminbanshee
04-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Well with some advice i installed both the scotty 1106 and the i pilot. While my pockets may be lighter i think it will be worth it... well lets hope.

dragonfly
04-15-2013, 01:12 PM
scriminbanshee where did you end up mounting your downriggers and did you make something or did scotty have something ? maybe post some pictures, thanx for sharing. dfly

dragonfly
04-18-2013, 11:14 PM
got started on my black uhmw bus bar housing and mounted my bus bars need to mount it to figure out where I want the exit and cut in a hole for that
http://imageshack.us/a/img40/3118/001lt.JPG
got some 14ga SS and plasma cut it out and cut in the 1 5/8'' x 1/4'' slots for the tie down strap and bent it out and drilled and counter sunk for screws
http://imageshack.us/a/img17/9563/002sog.jpg
and made a liner and here is the strap I will be using
http://imageshack.us/a/img13/7195/003wmu.jpg
this will be my wiring lay out
http://imageshack.us/a/img818/2812/004peq.jpg
both sets of batts will be separated and the kicker will be on the main side of the selector so it will start on a or b batts or both so it will charge what ever batt selection I choose when running. everything I will be adding (the 4 down riggers, tr-1, panther tilt, wash down etc. ) will be connected to the bus bars and the only thing that will be connected to the batt will be the bilge pump so if i am docked and the batts are shut off it will still run if there should ever be a leak. that's it for now I will be repositioning the tr-1 and the main start batt to make room for my buss panel. dfly

lowe1648mt
04-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Are you covering the buss bar? I don't think you would like to have a short across those terminals. be sure to put a lock washer on each terminal and I always cover with liquid rubber to keep down corrosion. Overkill is a good thing. Too much is never enough.

dragonfly
04-19-2013, 09:20 AM
thanx lowe I don't know if you can see in the picture but there is a seperation bar between the pos. and neg. bars plus there will be a cover that will keep anything from touching any of the wires, I don't use lock washers on electrical but use ss serated star washers for a better bite and contac. I like the spray on plastic, but not on places I will be working in because if I need to add or remove its a pain to clean up insted I use a clear silicone dielectric grease to seal up the termanials and keep the moisture out.it will make more sence once I get it mounted and the wires installed. dfly

Scrminbanshee
04-19-2013, 12:27 PM
scriminbanshee where did you end up mounting your downriggers and did you make something or did scotty have something ? maybe post some pictures, thanx for sharing. dfly

Scotty had what i needed just had to reenforce the wood but pics and a walk through to come.

dragonfly
04-20-2013, 08:45 PM
started on my battery box and electrical this is where I started
starboard
http://imageshack.us/a/img443/7366/001ajt.jpg

and port

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/1092/002jam.jpg

pulled everything out and cleaned up the area then on the starboard side I mounted my battery box
http://imageshack.us/a/img819/1576/001oze.jpg

installed the batts and secured them with the strap
http://imageshack.us/a/img405/9711/003grk.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img526/8026/002fjg.jpg

other than making the batt cables that side is done and now has 2 group 27s
the port side I moved the tr-1 to the right installed the new batt hold down and started to install the bus panel but ran out of ss screws so this is where I stopped tonight
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/3452/006wjk.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/901/004vvjs.jpg

tomorrow will be making batt cables and running wires. dfly

Trackerg
04-22-2013, 10:02 AM
nice job Dfly..I did something similar on my boat. I added another deep cycle for the bow mount trolling motor using a battery selector switch. I like knowing when one battery is getting low and being able to switch to auxiliary battery. I located my second battery in the front port compartment in order to transfer a little weight to the front of the boat.

dragonfly
04-22-2013, 07:05 PM
thanx trackerg, I have a spot infront of the front step foward to the anchor box that will hold up to 3 group 27s nicely and thinking that might be next years project to install them and an I-pilot trolling motor mainly for the on anchor feature that my tr-1 dosn't have. does yours have that feature and how well do they work I don't think I would need much over 60 lbs thrust being I will be using it to hold position only and the tr-1 for trolling. dfly

Trackerg
04-23-2013, 05:13 PM
I don't have the Ipilot. I have heard good things about them though. Looks like you have a fairly large boat. I think you are right on the 60 for an anchor. I have 17 and a half foot Tracker and my 46 pound Motorguide will pull it along at 2.5 mph in calm conditions. It seems like it weighed in at around 2400 pounds but id have to find the weight slip to verify that.

dragonfly
05-02-2013, 10:06 PM
got all my wires gathered up and rather than just zip locking and bundle them together we have these wire trays that come in 4' lengths and different heights and widths
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/9884/001qyc.jpg

and when installed has a top that snaps on and keeps them all secure
http://imageshack.us/a/img833/5989/003elbn.jpg

here is what they look like with wire in them.
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/8129/006zknm.jpg

and here is my mess I am working on
http://imageshack.us/a/img254/5793/007sm.jpg

hopefully I remembered every thing and will be putting on ends and installing the start batt.
now I know some of you are thinking those things would make great dodger organizers, well this is what they look like. dfly

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/5008/008eva.jpg

dragonfly
06-04-2013, 09:51 PM
In the process of servicing the boat I noticed the oil in the tr-1 reservoir looked like used crankcase oil and thought while servicing the rest of the boat I would change and flushing this oil, I never liked the slow reaction time with the rubber hoses having to inflate and deflate 'so to speak' the hose humps up and moved around when turning left to right and the constant overcorrecting because of it, so I pulled the cyl
http://imageshack.us/a/img62/146/003bkh.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img196/4294/007kpo.jpg
to clean it up , pressure test, polish up and mount the quick connect fittings
http://imageshack.us/a/img211/926/008axq.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img832/5333/013soe.jpg
the hose is a nylon braid, flexible with a 800lb burst strength so there is no stretch and reaction time is almost instant now and stops dead and no over swing. this is the same hose I use on low pressure pilot controls and thought it would be ideal for this application.
here is the control unit
http://imageshack.us/a/img69/9960/011iy.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img5/361/015cr.jpg
the push in fittings make it fast and easy
http://imageshack.us/a/img109/8928/014sbn.jpg
dfly

dragonfly
06-04-2013, 10:35 PM
after changing over the hyd lines adding another transducer, battery cables, fuel hose, tr-1 control wires the panther wires and vent, the air intake and duct hose was pretty well blocked off
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/1681/009fsa.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img837/3110/005bqh.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img198/32/006ne.JPG

so for ventilation and fire safety I decided to redo the vent system and moved them to the starboard side
http://imageshack.us/a/img838/5420/004fqy.jpg
the starboard side is facing forward and is ducted to the bottom of the sump area on the starboard side. the port side is ducted on the port side of the eng. in the sump area and is power suction that blows it out and rearward through the port vent and the far port vent is just for hyd. and electrical and what ever air circulates through it. dfly

dragonfly
06-04-2013, 11:42 PM
http://www.endroad.com/ here is a site to get some interesting tie downs. I used the original one to replace the old one on my anchor
http://imageshack.us/a/img40/4061/001ti.JPG
http://imageshack.us/a/img809/1470/002muj.jpg
now I wont have to worry about it bouncing up. then I mounted a pair of downrigger weights on each side of the pole holders on the dog house
http://imageshack.us/a/img819/354/003hcr.jpg
so they are handy and not rolling around. any way they have a lot of different hold downs that will fit just about any thing from fishing rods, nets, fire extinguisher, etc I got mine from GK machine. dfly

SuperD
06-05-2013, 10:22 AM
I like the clamps for the downrigger weights. One thing I noticed with the bar weights is that I can't hang them on the boom when I run from spot to spot like I could with the other style of weights. I might be able to mount a couple clamps on the offshore bracket side of the transom to hold weights while they are still connected to the cable.

dragonfly
06-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Dave when I am moving around the lake I just put them in the rocket launchers on the down riggers or in the ones on the rails I just put them on the dog house when I am not using the downriggers. these are my 1 1/2 SS lead filled ones that I made for a guy and liked them so well I made 4 for my self and they fit into the rocket launchers. dfly

SuperD
06-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Since I have the "old style" 1 15/16" dia., that isn't an option and I really hate bringing them into the boat and laying them on the floor everytime we make a run. I think one of those quickfist clamps on the transom and on the gunnel would hold them real well.

dragonfly
06-05-2013, 12:23 PM
that should work, each one of those clamps are good for up to 2 1/4'' and 22 lbs. dfly

dragonfly
07-06-2013, 07:27 PM
I thought the original thunderjet letters were dated and needed a change so used the same fonts I had on the back and layed them out for the new 'thunderjet' and vectorized my dragon and went down to the print shop to lay out how I wanted them layered and colors. they did a great job. picked them up Friday and I put them on this morning. here's some pics. dfly
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/1681/009fsa.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img196/9560/qwp4.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img703/8741/2bom.jpg

dragonfly
07-22-2013, 09:46 AM
finally got caught up at work and got the boat out on greenpeter for a shake down before next weekend and fished from 6 to 12 worked out some bugs, forgot stuff, but all in all the boat worked perfect. one great improvement was the tr-1 hose replacement with plastic. NO more annoying swinging back and forth noise even in the wind in fact I had to look to make sure it was working because it wasn't swinging back and forth over correcting all morning. the new digi troll 10s with the scotty masts were great almost has me thinking of replacing the other two 2106s. the fishing was hot ( thanx to fishwithgary products ) and didn't need or get to try the bottom trac or the jigging feature's but I will have all of next week end for that. I don't know what my Australian shepherd was thinking but he was on the anchor nest and lost his balance and fell off when I was in back setting up the downriggers and heard my wife yell ''max fell off and went under the boat'' by then he popped out the back and I grabbed him and drug his hairy butt from the rear deck back on the boat (just another reason I am glad I have a jet ) note to self, next dog will have a tail. but with all that we still got our limits and I cleaned fish on the way in. dfly

Mike
09-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Love the panduit for storing dodgers Idea ... I can't believe I never thought of that , I work for a automation company and we have our own panel shop there's ton's of scrap laying around. I think I'll have to snatch some up and play around with it. The boat looks awesome some really nice work being done there!

Kokaholic
09-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Well, yes it's the end of the season, however laker fishing and cutts at bear lake are just getting started so my new boat item was just added and finished up tonight. I just mounted a Minnkota Terrova 80 with I-pilot Us2. Way excited to get out soon and give it a whirl. Brand new. I am happy happy happy.

mrmike
09-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Well I also added a new Minnkota Terrova 101 with I-pipot Us2 the Salt water model I had it on for part of the season and it does take some time to get use to. If you were to see me and my boat you would swear I was drunk it was a windy day I was all over the place but I'm sure enjoying it, The unit does have a lot of power and opens up some different avenues of fishing for me,and I'm getting use to it the boat really responds extremely quickly with the bow mount.

dragonfly
09-12-2013, 02:53 PM
that is one of my winter projects along with changing the steering over to the flow tec steering for the jet, I have the st 80 I-pilot with a 60'' shaft and in the process of building the fin for it that will help keep me straight when the wind is really bad and the tr-1 won't hold. use the Yamaha for speed and thrust. and the minnkota for steering so I don't use as much power.
mike I have a Panduit set up on a piece of uhmw on my boat work table with the next ones to go in and put the old ones in when swapping out, its handy works great and every thing is in sight

dragonfly
03-15-2014, 09:35 PM
well I sold my scotty 2106s this winter and picked up 2 digi-troll 5s to go with my digi-troll 10s and needed to replace the risers that went with the scottys. the cannons are to flimsy and I would of had to drill a smaller 4 hole pattern so I decided to make my own. so I started out with 1/2 plate and cut and milled 2 bottom at 6'' x 6'' and 2 top at 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 and cut 2, 4'' x 4'' x 1/4'' square tube
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/20254daf-db13-4831-bd06-a4cc87cab129_zpsb181aba3.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/20254daf-db13-4831-bd06-a4cc87cab129_zpsb181aba3.jpg.html)

drilled and taped the holes
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/3b9e971b-7f8a-4353-b0ea-5362679e8c6d_zps539e902c.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/3b9e971b-7f8a-4353-b0ea-5362679e8c6d_zps539e902c.jpg.html)
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/824b5ff3-4f61-4c4e-8785-d3a4bf578e68_zps5f036d0a.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/824b5ff3-4f61-4c4e-8785-d3a4bf578e68_zps5f036d0a.jpg.html)
and counter sink the holes for the bottom ones

then I removed all the anodizing for welding. this is hazardous and not recommended if you are not familiar with the process, you can see it on u-tube if you decide to do it,

here they are de anodized and welded ready to be finished and polished
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/468e1881-ebfd-4b7f-90a8-1d94b9a5080c_zpsab86f3d6.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/468e1881-ebfd-4b7f-90a8-1d94b9a5080c_zpsab86f3d6.jpg.html)
here is one polished and the other ready to be.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/1d5f8c67-d421-44ba-86fb-6d405e169e1c_zps6c817232.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/1d5f8c67-d421-44ba-86fb-6d405e169e1c_zps6c817232.jpg.html)
took them out and mounted them and put one of the 10s on to make sure every thing fit up
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/6d006d65-cae3-4f49-bb26-903368681759_zpsed698c99.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/6d006d65-cae3-4f49-bb26-903368681759_zpsed698c99.jpg.html)
these are rock solid and not worried about them bending or coming off I just wish my pics of chrome came out like they really looked . dfly

lowe1648mt
03-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Kokanee_slayer-Were thoe ACR's made by Blue Seas of Bellingham, Wa?

Propnut69
03-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Dragonfly, nice job on the risers looks like some real skill to do that. Again well done.worthy12

Mike
03-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Dfly, Looks great I don't know about the rest of you but I've got some serious cabin fever!

bdogdt47
03-20-2014, 12:57 AM
http://www.poseidonbrand.com/store/product/view/1/14 . I just ordered a stick on tape measure for my boat from this web site. Pretty cheap.

dragonfly
03-20-2014, 08:34 AM
I finally found the tape. I wanted a black back ground because it is going on aluminum and found it at sportsman's warehouse it is made by Berkley http://m.berkley-fishing.com/products/tools-and-equipment/classics/ruler-37-boat

SuperD
03-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Let us know how the decal performs for durability. I went with an aluminum yardstick from Home Depot.

Metal Manipulator
03-20-2014, 11:14 AM
I had the tape on my boat. It started looking ratty so I spent the entire day taking it off of the diamond plate. I too fastened an aluminum ruler to my transom area.

SuperD
03-20-2014, 11:33 AM
My solution:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-36-in-Aluminum-Yardstick-J236/100353825

kokanee_slayer
03-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Kokanee_slayer-Were thoe ACR's made by Blue Seas of Bellingham, Wa?

Yes, I believe so. It's been installed for over a year and no issues.

dragonfly
03-20-2014, 11:31 PM
changing over to oil hubs........ because of pic limits this is part 1
let me start by saying that there is nothing wrong with grease packed bearings have been using them for decades with no problems if adjusted right. but I have been changing all our shop trailers over to oil hubs now for the past 3 years and really like the results so I decided to install them on my boat trailer now I that I feel confident with them. I only put about 2000 miles on my trailer a year, but I clean, repack and check every thing out every year so I know I will not have any problems coming or going during fishing season, and not having to deal with grease I thought would be nice. being a diesel mechanic all the semi trucks and trailers have been oil bath for over 40 years and always wondered why the small trailer industry hasn't done it except for a few, the cost is more to produce but if you add the cost of bearing buddies it is pretty much a wash . you have the advantage of cooler running bearings, with the synthetic oil, you can always see the lube level so you know if there is a problem, don't have to wonder if water is in your grease or worry about over greasing and getting into your breaks. the seal is a uniseal and doesn't rely on the axle surface to seal . it seals inside it self just like the semi's. the hub is solid aluminum with a threaded heavy polycarbonate cap with an o-ring seal, again just like the semi's. so I will show you how I changed mine over, first the parts.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/99c0d298-b8d8-4d12-8ac9-26884f98ba8d_zps96cf9a97.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/99c0d298-b8d8-4d12-8ac9-26884f98ba8d_zps96cf9a97.jpg.html)
this is what I have now.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/d4108ea6-4dea-4761-8dc8-b3cce924a3a8_zps5c4ebfd9.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/d4108ea6-4dea-4761-8dc8-b3cce924a3a8_zps5c4ebfd9.jpg.html)
I put tape around the SS bearing buddies so I don't scratch them up when removing.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/07095972-3b07-44da-86a9-e82f25f665b2_zps686efd5a.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/07095972-3b07-44da-86a9-e82f25f665b2_zps686efd5a.jpg.html)
then pull the cotter pin, nut, washer, and bearings then the drum assembly and clean every thing up. check bearings and races if anything looks questionable replace it now! bearings are cheep compared to sitting on the freeway half way to your fishing spot, waiting for a tow truck because a bearing spun on your axle.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/0deac7f3-4bf1-4eea-98a7-2e7cfa3244a8_zps57140a82.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/0deac7f3-4bf1-4eea-98a7-2e7cfa3244a8_zps57140a82.jpg.html)
I like every thing to look good so I wire brushed primed and repainted the drums. on some drums you will notice a plug and a hole in the face of the drum it is for adjusting the brakes if you don't want to crawl underneath the trailer. makes it easy on reassembly.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/39039813-dd19-4ff1-96b9-bf711e3e713e_zpsaf3613f2.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/39039813-dd19-4ff1-96b9-bf711e3e713e_zpsaf3613f2.jpg.html)
now check your brakes and hardware and make sure every thing is in good shape. clean and blow off now you are ready for re assembly.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/2e639ca8-9397-4aa5-b131-9d661cda40b2_zps19034c29.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/2e639ca8-9397-4aa5-b131-9d661cda40b2_zps19034c29.jpg.html)
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/fa2b057a-412b-44a4-bb94-fdc319d5179d_zps39035d54.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/fa2b057a-412b-44a4-bb94-fdc319d5179d_zps39035d54.jpg.html)

sawtooth
03-21-2014, 12:01 AM
Love my oil hubs. They are the only way to go in my opinion.

dragonfly
03-21-2014, 12:04 AM
oil hubs part 2

first oil the inner bearing and race and drop in. now for the seal, lightly lube the outer surface and push in with a seal driver (there are 2 axle seal sizes the most common is 1.72 id x 2.56 od but if you have the less common which is 1.68 id x 2.56 od so make sure of your axle dia. whether you are doing grease or oil seal. the parts guy probably has never done this so always measure. the outside is the same but the wrong id will let water in and grease out on your brakes. just a word of caution)
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/02981946-2d72-4d31-80c4-9e4836be9eb5_zpsacc39a3a.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/02981946-2d72-4d31-80c4-9e4836be9eb5_zpsacc39a3a.jpg.html)
lightly lube the inner seal and install drum on axle. lube the outer bearing, slide in then the washer and nut. adjust to rp618 practice ( .001-.005 end play ) and install a new cotter pin.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/784b52d2-df46-427a-bbe9-5cad5ef06086_zps01a1ba22.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/784b52d2-df46-427a-bbe9-5cad5ef06086_zps01a1ba22.jpg.html)
now you are ready to install the aluminum hub. I use red 272 red loctite ( it has a higher heat rating than the 271) and put it on the surface that drives into the drum and install, then wipe off any left over loctite. next screw in the cap and o-ring and fill with the synthetic oil
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/dd1fa4c3-a7eb-4fef-93e5-9d9fede82acc_zps8e3d4a11.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/dd1fa4c3-a7eb-4fef-93e5-9d9fede82acc_zps8e3d4a11.jpg.html)

adj. breaks install the drum plug and mount the tire and check the tire psi ( just a suggestion but also check the year on the tire. http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/selecting-the-correct-tire-for-your-needs/how-can-i-tell-how-old-my-tires-are if it is getting over 6 years old and doing a long hot trip you might want to be thinking about new ones. check your spare also ). this is how they look now. 3 more to go. now for spare parts this is what I used to carry
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/1bb6d069-280e-48e5-bb0a-419146f294e4_zps98ba675b.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/1bb6d069-280e-48e5-bb0a-419146f294e4_zps98ba675b.jpg.html)

this is what I need now. all the parts now fit in a zip loc bag
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/20589508-0854-4447-8308-60835895bfba_zps5cf4dee6.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/20589508-0854-4447-8308-60835895bfba_zps5cf4dee6.jpg.html)
dfly

MackayGuy
03-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Dfly.....I had oil bath on my last boat trailer and liked em a lot. Have grease w/ bearing buddys on the new trailer....I'm never as confident in them after I let them sit a while, so always tear em down in the spring and repack. I've been thinking about changing to oil bath. I checked the price on the brand you used and that's pretty reasonable. I'll have to measure my hubs and order up a couple of sets. Thanks for the write up and excellent pics.....as always.

Bduck
03-21-2014, 10:23 AM
SuperD got me into putting the aluminum rule on my boat after fishing off of his. Credit goes where credit is due. A good investment that's not gouging the pocket at all. I opted to use double sticky tape which has been holding for over 3yrs now and not to drill holes.

I've been kicking around the idea of oil hubs for a while now. I did have to change an axel after each side spun bearings twice. It got to the point where the inner seal was not lasting and allowing moisture in to mix with grease. Each time I was out I was on a long haul.

dragonfly
03-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Bduck if your spindle in worn a quick and easy fix is a SS speedy sleeve that covers the worn surface and makes it like new. you can still run your same seal. we use them a lot to repair shaft seal areas instead of replacing them. CR/SKF makes them. or you can use a uniseal the seal surface doesn't matter as long as it is not to torn up. dfly

Mharri333
03-21-2014, 11:47 AM
DFLY, My new trailer has the oil bath type. I was glad to see that you have had good experience with them over time. I was a little leery of them at first.

dragonfly
04-12-2014, 02:58 PM
finished making my swing mount for the minn-kota heres the progression from paper
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/8cdc9991-61b0-438f-b2d3-2737102001d6_zps279e6ca7.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/8cdc9991-61b0-438f-b2d3-2737102001d6_zps279e6ca7.jpg.html)
to making a model to make sure every thing works.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/0a6cac01-c889-45c0-a123-7f856e776952_zps97701578.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/0a6cac01-c889-45c0-a123-7f856e776952_zps97701578.jpg.html)
to the finished product
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/99e004fb-c048-48b5-8350-8a2098fe29b2_zps7c6d0870.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/99e004fb-c048-48b5-8350-8a2098fe29b2_zps7c6d0870.jpg.html)

now mounted on the boat.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/99eca72f-667a-4b71-8acb-5f7bbf89faa8_zps4be8d9c7.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/99eca72f-667a-4b71-8acb-5f7bbf89faa8_zps4be8d9c7.jpg.html)
here's the 3 positions so I can swing it out of the way and stow it so I don't have to step over it when getting in and out of the boat when at the dock, it also can be deploy it in any of the 3 positions but I want mine in the center of the boat.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/58d94dd8-0c94-487f-b852-aee6363c1971_zps9a1b3dc3.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/58d94dd8-0c94-487f-b852-aee6363c1971_zps9a1b3dc3.jpg.html)
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/4e645b6f-d215-4cbc-b19b-9d4cea59ed0e_zps0764188a.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/4e645b6f-d215-4cbc-b19b-9d4cea59ed0e_zps0764188a.jpg.html)
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/a01455ce-3afc-47b9-878a-07403eb46cc1_zps021a956c.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/a01455ce-3afc-47b9-878a-07403eb46cc1_zps021a956c.jpg.html)
this is it diploid in the center, now I need to figure the batt situation.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/dbf976d6-a01b-4199-8d14-9fb844d7259b_zps7a37166f.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/dbf976d6-a01b-4199-8d14-9fb844d7259b_zps7a37166f.jpg.html)
dfly

jhmh2ofowl
04-13-2014, 08:54 PM
In my self affirmation of thinking I was brilliant, I changed out the old 2 stroke outboard kicker on my jet for a 4 stroke. The newer kicker/troller is an 8 HP Evinrude. That being said, I went through the entire fuel system. New hoses, tank, bulb, fittings. The only used pieces are the mount and what is in the outboard.
So we take it out to the local lake today, Lucky Peak, and I fire it up. We troll around for about 35 minutes or so and it sputters and dies. It restarted (without the choke open) and it did the same thing shortly after I put it in gear. This went on until I gave up.
I know little to nothing about outboards, so I am turning my thoughts over to all the experts out here.
I am wondering if a good old fashioned tune up is in the future, or if I need to look at something else?
Is there any outboard mechanic that is in the Boise area worthy of you folks recommending, as I am mechanically slow on these motors?
Thanks to all. I appreciate the help.

dragonfly
04-13-2014, 11:28 PM
well all I can tell you is what I would look for first. before I would take it out I would have changed the oil and filter if it has one and replaced the spark plugs you replaced all the hose's and the bulb ''note'' some of the bulbs have to be in the vertical position to work properly so check that also make sure the vent on the ( I assume the portable tank) filler cap is rotated into the open position so there is no vacuum. dfly

downriggeral
04-13-2014, 11:53 PM
dfly is spot on. Do you know the history of the motor you bought? Sounds like a fuel issue; possible trash in the carb float bowl? Many people don't treat their crummy ethanol laden fuel. Every drop must be treated year around. I like Evinrude Two Plus Four but there are other good ones out there. I'm a little far away in Spokane to physically be of much help. Alan

Mike
04-22-2014, 10:37 PM
I've got a giant check list to get through before my boat hit's the slip for the summer!

1. Install new kenwood digital media receiver.
2. Cut holes and install new alpine 7.7'' speakers
3. Mount new sirius marine antenna on hardtop
4. Drill holes and mount new cannon flush mount power ports
5. Change spark plugs
6. Change engine oil
7. Rewire all accessories currently landed directly on battery terminals, to terminal blocks on din rail and label
8. Wash and work my way through 3 step oxidation and wax treatment.

Updates to follow.... just have to finish the tile in the bathroom before I touch the boat or I'll be in trouble!

Mike

mrmike
04-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Since this up coming weekend we planned on going up on the opener at Wickiup we decided to have the tire pressure tested at are local Les Schwab Tire Center on the Motor Home, while I was there decide better have the bearing on the boat trailer repacked as its a long season with a lot of miles pulling are sled yet to come. Drop the boat off on Monday got a call a few hours later the bearing completely shot and need to replace the whole axle the spindle completely destroyed. I saved myself hundreds of dollars on a standard PM (PREVENTIVE MAINTANCE) check being broke down in the middle of no ware and a ruined weekend. Check them bearing my hat goes off to SCHWABS great service had my sled back in 48 hrs ready to go also a split in the tire with they caught due to the hub.

jhmh2ofowl
04-30-2014, 08:57 PM
dfly is spot on. Do you know the history of the motor you bought? Sounds like a fuel issue; possible trash in the carb float bowl? Many people don't treat their crummy ethanol laden fuel. Every drop must be treated year around. I like Evinrude Two Plus Four but there are other good ones out there. I'm a little far away in Spokane to physically be of much help. Alan

Thanks! Sounds like I have some puttering to do. Looks pretty easy to check out by the sounds of it. Just how I like it!

dragonfly
04-30-2014, 10:17 PM
my jet has the extended bow so its is about 4' to the front bow chock which when by my self and loading hot makes it easy to be off to one side and miss it especially in the wind. so I was changing out to a new winch and thought if I had a rod or something as a guide to know where center was and where to stop would be great. so I cut, milled and drilled an aluminum angle
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/d58e251a-995c-4e41-89e5-008d542c7a35_zpsfc0c0277.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/d58e251a-995c-4e41-89e5-008d542c7a35_zpsfc0c0277.jpg.html)
got a HD 1/4'' cable clamp and went down to Freddys which had there bicycle flags on clearance and grabbed that. cut it down to 4' dipped the tip in red tool grip so it would be easy to see and put it in the clamp.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/007_zpsf6e7db0a.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/007_zpsf6e7db0a.jpg.html)
now when I come in I can just line it up with the trolling motor or when off the anchor roller and it should be close enough to clip the safety chain and hook the winch. dfly
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/003_zpsb6bef0d8.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/003_zpsb6bef0d8.jpg.html)

dragonfly
05-11-2014, 04:48 PM
part 1. after cleaning my wheels after changing over to oil hubs I decided to clean and update my trainer by adding led lights' DOT Conspicuity tape and new grip tape here's what I started with

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/001_zps19d4495a.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/001_zps19d4495a.jpg.html)

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/002_zpsbe110c62.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/002_zpsbe110c62.jpg.html)

stripped off all the decals and stickers

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/003_zps2a178b3f.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/003_zps2a178b3f.jpg.html)

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/004_zpse4ec6bf5.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/004_zpse4ec6bf5.jpg.html)

dragonfly
05-11-2014, 04:49 PM
part 2, this is after the CLR was applied and sprayed off, them washed down with soap and water.
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/006_zpsc165ef25.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/006_zpsc165ef25.jpg.html)

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/007_zps47fdbc1b.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/007_zps47fdbc1b.jpg.html)

now to apply the DOT tape, new grip tape and install the lights,

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/003_zps60dfd3b1.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/003_zps60dfd3b1.jpg.html)

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/shawnlsullivan/002_zps1a53a719.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/shawnlsullivan/media/002_zps1a53a719.jpg.html)
make sure you protect all aluminum from over spray or you will have white spots. to clean with I just used a cheep yellow sponge with the green scotch brite on it, and black nitrile gloves. dfly

bdogdt47
05-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Added a bump out on my down rigger mount to hold my dr weights, pliers and screw driver to adjust my release clip7171

bdogdt47
05-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Am going to try posting my picture again of my addition to the DR mount.7172

Mike
05-21-2014, 11:14 AM
D'fly,

Trailer looks great and that whole rig sure has a nice shine to it. My friend here in WY has a TJ almost identical to your's named the General Lee and I have to say they are beautiful boats. As for me I completed most of the items on my pre season check list with a few exceptions. Hard to get it all done when your trying to get out for the season.

dragonfly
06-08-2014, 08:36 PM
made a cup holder for the bigger coffee cups and the thick insulated cozies today I took some 1/2 diamond plate cut and milled to the right shape milled a hole for the insert drilled some holes and mounted it here's the procedure and results
first the cup size difference
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/843/lp2r2.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/nflp2r2j)
this is the finished product
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/837/iarw.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/n9iarwj)
this is the difference in fit
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/856/eg3n.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/nseg3nj)
and this is it mounted
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/843/smjw6.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/nfsmjw6j)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/841/5pxf6.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/nd5pxf6j)
it might not sound like a big deal but the big coffee cups don't fit and I like the foam cozies over the neoprene ones for keeping caned pop, tea, and where appropriate beer cooler.

Mharri333
06-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Cup holder are a big deal! One of the deciding factors on many new cars. It is also one of my biggest belly aches about my TJ. Dadgum coffee cup won't fit in the little cup holders. They are made for cans not cups. I have to rework mine too. Nice work Dfly.

SuperD
06-10-2014, 01:00 PM
IKEA sells these plastic cups with a lip for $.99/ea. You can hang them on a gunnel tray and they are large enough to fit insulated coffee cups or other beverage containers. The nice thing about them is you can move them around. They don't have to be mounted.

http://imageshack.com/a/img204/2685/cup2j.jpg