PDA

View Full Version : Wiggle Hoochie Question

SilverBullets
01-08-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm in the middle of making some proto-types of a hoochie accessory and have a question maybe someone here can help me with. Do the wiggle hoochies that have the plastic bill in the front run with the bill facing up or down while trolling or do they even have a up or down and produce more of a erratic action like an Apex (up,down,sideways... etc.)

mrmike
01-08-2013, 06:43 PM
The wiggle hoochies I've purchase the bill is facing down like a wiggle wart to create the side to side action and dive. The few I have were purchased from Shasta Tackle

kokanee-lou
01-08-2013, 07:29 PM
I have both Shasta's wiggle hoochie and Crystal Basin's Hoochie Thing. Watched their action over the side of the boat and they both run with the bill down. It is recommended that wiggle hoochies should be set back 18 to 24 inches from a dodger so it's action is not affected. They work so well that they are my go-to setup for American Lake koke.

SilverBullets
01-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks... that's kinda what i figured. I've used them before but never really checked out their action too closely. I know they're advertised to have the action of a apex but from my experience with them they pretty much run all over the place with a roll once in a while. I guess alot depends on where the line runs through the bill, the shape of the bill, and the boat speed. I'm making a few different designs... should be fun seeing how they act in the water. I'll post up some pictures once i get a few more built.

SuperD
01-09-2013, 10:29 AM
When they are all said and done they just look to big and bulky to me. I'd rather put some more bend in the dodger than drag one of those. I bought into the success of the mirco hoochies this last year and like "smaller is better".

SilverBullets
01-09-2013, 11:42 AM
When they are all said and done they just look to big and bulky to me. I'd rather put some more bend in the dodger than drag one of those. I bought into the success of the mirco hoochies this last year and like "smaller is better".

Actually, the ones i'm working on are 1/4 the size and will be more part of the hooche rather than a big piece of plastic sticking out of the nose. The movement of a dodger will still be required... this is just a small tweek on the lure to give it a different look/action.

Kokonuts
01-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Looking forward to seeing them! Keep us posted!

Kokonuts

mrmike
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Silver Bullets I kind of agree with Super D I FOUND OUT THE MINI/MICRO HOOCHIE was the ticket last year for me and didn't have much success WITH THEM WIGGLE HOOCHIES they were just to big and found out the Micro Hoochies don't like the Sun they melt

SilverBullets
01-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Here's a few pictures of some early proto-types... not the final design though.

trollmonkey
01-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Those look nice SilverBullets,let us know how they work.How long are microhootchies ya'll are using? I've used some 1" tubes with good results.

SilverBullets
01-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Those look nice SilverBullets,let us know how they work.How long are microhootchies ya'll are using? I've used some 1" tubes with good results.

I believe the micro hoochies are 1 1/2- 1 /3/4". Here's another design i'm working on...

Mudinchev
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
101ok101 Ya that! .......How ever I have had my share of "Wiggle Hoochie" days later in the summer.

calamari
01-25-2013, 09:03 PM
I don't believe they still make them but Scotty used to make a rigged Wiggle hoochie for ocean salmon fishing that worked great for kings and too well for the silvers we couldn't keep. It rode with the bill up so it doesn't seem to affect the effectiveness of that type of lure. The hard part is going to get the thing balanced so it wiggles and doesn't just spin. I converted kokanee sized Apexs to have an attached hoochie slipped over the end and nesting in notches I cut to hold it in place. It was for trout trolling and I had to mess with it a lot to get the cuts and location where it would work like I wanted. Be patient and I bet you'll like what it looks like.

Kokonuts
03-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Silver Bullets,

I really like your iddea & I think it will work well. Have you thought of making something else to form them to keep the cost down?
Or are you just using old Apexs from your tackle collection?

Kokonuts

SilverBullets
03-11-2013, 12:34 AM
Silver Bullets,

I really like your iddea & I think it will work well. Have you thought of making something else to form them to keep the cost down?
Or are you just using old Apexs from your tackle collection?

Kokonuts

Actually, those were cut from old plano box dividers. I used a heat gun to form the general shape then a dremel to trim. I'm just making a few designs to try out and not interested in selling them.

Kokonuts
03-11-2013, 02:12 AM
Silver Bullets,

Thanks for the tip, I should have known that you would find something to use!

Kokonuts

kelson
04-20-2013, 10:18 AM
An old fly fisher trick is to put a large metallic sequin in front of their fly. It might just work with the mini micro hoochies? I'm going to give it a try and I'll let you know.
K