PDA

View Full Version : rigging your own hoochie

kok-head
12-31-2012, 01:52 AM
a similar thread/post may already exist for this topic but here is something I started doing last year, the coffee/bar straw for adjusting the set back is something I took from someone's post on here (great idea whoever that was)

components: leader, 2 hooks, squid/tube body, straw (left over after your breakroom coffee), large sewing needle (taken from wife's sewing kit without her knowledge), patience, satisfaction when you catch fish and save money thumbsup

snell a tandem hook rig (youtube has countless great videos), with straw inside hoochie lay next to your hooks to eye-ball your approx. set back, hold straw in place and remove hoochie, mark with a felt pen, cut your straw and do some simple threading and you're done

I prefer to use 12lb fluorocarbon leader, adjust your dodger length accordingly and: spend less time re-tying worn leaders and more time reeling in fish and drinking your favorite beverages, and if you hook into the occasional large rainbow/bull you'll get it to the boat instead of snapping it off, otherwise you can't get a photo of it and no one will believe you 101facepalm101

Kokonuts
01-03-2013, 02:13 AM
Kok-Head, Thanks for the tip!

Here's a couple more that I've played with!
Spinning Hoochie --Simply take your favorite hoochie, cut off about 1/4"to 3/8" off the nose and the slide it up the back of the S&G until it hits the wings with a little super glue! And bingo you have a Spinning Hoochie! The color combos are endless! And they work well on larger sizes for Salmon!

Next you can take a tee cone/teebeads Put a little super glue inside of the nose of a hoochie and slide the tee cone up inside the body. Now the legs will really stand out! These will also work for Salmon in the larger sizes!
For smaller Hoochies take a flat file and run the tee cone around it to make a smaller diameter for less spread on the legs.

Have Funn With These and lets hear some more tips!! Kokonuts

kok-head
01-03-2013, 02:09 PM
thanks for the suggestions Kokonuts, I've seen some of your creations and they look great, I know someone that does well fishing for stripers on a basic hoochie/dodger setup and he will definitely want to know about your spin and glow hoochie design, do you run the spinning hoochie a lot and if so do you run it behind a dodger?

SuperD
01-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Guys here in CA commonly run 6" skirts up the back of yo-zuris trolling for stripers too.

Kokonuts
01-03-2013, 07:24 PM
thanks for the suggestions Kokonuts, I've seen some of your creations and they look great, I know someone that does well fishing for stripers on a basic hoochie/dodger setup and he will definitely want to know about your spin and glow hoochie design, do you run the spinning hoochie a lot and if so do you run it behind a dodger?

I use them just like a regular hoochie behind a dodger. They spin real well ,its just a different look for Kokanee!
Kokonuts

kok-head
01-03-2013, 11:14 PM
its interesting what the stripers will go for, I've watched lots of youtube footage of stripers hitting just about every different type and color of lure in existence, I've never fished for them but I will someday

I think I'm gonna have to rig up a few of the spin and glow hoochies, I'm sure the idaho kokanee have had almost no exposure to them, and I bet the rainbows will think they've died and gone to heaven
I can almost picture the cooler full of fish after my first day out this spring tooexcited