PDA

View Full Version : Yarn balls for Kokanee?

Kokonuts
12-13-2012, 01:26 AM
The last couple of months I've been hitting the rivers for Salmon & Steelhead & the yarn ball is something that a lot of people are using. Sooo being "NUTS" anyway Iv'e been thinking of using Yarn (Lots of Colors) to make something up for Kokanee!! Have any of you tried it yet? Any ideas ?

Kokonuts

remembering
12-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Yes I have used them. But not as yarn balls. 57255726
My wife named them aliens. I have a bigger version for larger salmon. 5727
I have caught Kokes on them but bottom line they do not do as good as most lures.

mrmike
12-13-2012, 01:17 PM
As we speak I've been putting something together with yarn balls in a smaller size like a little bigger then a bead in between the two trailing hooks one reason to be an attractent the other to hold scent/they can be made with mulit color combinations. They being puff balls been extremely deadly for steelhead. I'm in the experimental stage.

Kokonuts
12-13-2012, 04:36 PM
As we speak I've been putting something together with yarn balls in a smaller size like a little bigger then a bead in between the two trailing hooks one reason to be an attractent the other to hold scent/they can be made with mulit color combinations. They being puff balls been extremely deadly for steelhead. I'm in the experimental stage.

Mr. Mike, Great minds think alike! I am thinking of the Basic multicolor Yarn ball with Pink & Chartuse streames down each side about 11/2". I am also cutting foam blanks of different colors for the body. They are easy to make with brass tube 3/8" -1/2" dia. x 8" long. I use the reamer on the tube cutter to sharpen one end then drill thru the foam by twisting the tube by hand. I drill the foam long ways from one end & the foam comes out anout 6" long then just cut to length for the body. I think these will make some good looking Bugs!!

Remembering, I cant get to your attachments But really would like to see them! Can you check it out?

Kokonuts

mrmike
12-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Kokonuts I'm attempting some big changes one is small puff ball of yarn about the size of a large bead so I can use for scent between hooks and the other I have put together is an attractan, because it dosn't fit the difinition of a fly by ODFW STANDARDS and it actually does away with the hoochies/ITS A TUBE attractant you run your line completely through and attach your hooks these attractants are 1 1/2 inches to 3 inches long made out of Crystal Flash I've made over a hundred of them They look like a jig with a head but has a tube instead of a hook I am know applying yarn with the Crystal Flash because yarn will hold scent. As your aware Crystal Flash comes in numerious colors/I have made .a hundred different color combinations they will actually work the same as a hooche behind a swing blade but haven't field tested them yet. I think these kokanee are in BIGGGGGGG trouble. I'm not ready to take photoes yet because I haven't deciding how or what I'm going to do with them.

DLM
12-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Kokonuts I'm attempting some big changes one is small puff ball of yarn about the size of a large bead so I can use for scent between hooks and the other I have put together is an attractan, because it dosn't fit the difinition of a fly by ODFW STANDARDS and it actually does away with the hoochies/ITS A TUBE attractant you run your line completely through and attach your hooks these attractants are 1 1/2 inches to 3 inches long made out of Crystal Flash I've made over a hundred of them They look like a jig with a head but has a tube instead of a hook I am know applying yarn with the Crystal Flash because yarn will hold scent. As your aware Crystal Flash comes in numerious colors/I have made .a hundred different color combinations they will actually work the same as a hooche behind a swing blade but haven't field tested them yet. I think these kokanee are in BIGGGGGGG trouble. I'm not ready to take photoes yet because I haven't deciding how or what I'm going to do with them.

I tied up something similar towards the end of last year with varied success. This type of thing has been used on the upper columbia for sockeye for several years.

SilverBullets
12-14-2012, 04:50 PM
I've threaded up hoochies using pom poms instead of beads... they're pretty much fluffy balls of yarn like material. They're different sizes, bright colors, and can be found at most craft stores. The ones pictured are about the size of a 5mm bead.

mrmike
12-14-2012, 05:44 PM
DLM I've watch what videos I could fine I found nothing but Hoochies with coontail attached for sockeye(Mack Lures). I've found numerious types using a weighted lead jig head and hooks with numerious types of feathers etc.I have know idea if this will work have to field test them/that the fun part. I can tell you the Indian Hatchery way up the Columbia have planted millions I mean millions of sockeye smolt this year like 300 million /. In 2 to 3 yrs we will be in for a treat.

Kokonuts
12-14-2012, 08:05 PM
I really love this stuff!! Everyone has some good ideas!!

Silver bullets, Yep, Pom Poms should work,I found some a few weeks ago & have tried them for Steelhead!

I am going to try some small foam bodies with yarn, trying to get something that will have a LOT of movement, color, & scent behind the dodger!
Kokonuts

mrmike
12-17-2012, 01:58 PM
I'M GLAD I CAN ADD IDEAS AND HELP FELLO FISHERMAN/FISHLADIES. AS KOKANEE FISHERMAN POPULATION GROWES AND GETTING BIGGER AND BETTER WE CAN HELP BRING THIS FISHERY TO ANOTHER LEVEL. i'M NOT ONE TO HOLD BACK SECRETS. i INTRODUCED AN UNBRELLA RIG OREGON TACKLE HAS MARKET THEM I FIRST DESIGNED THEM FOR TROLLING ON TOP FOR KOKANEE WORK EXTREMELY WELL 4 WILLOW LEAF FLASHER BLADES IN AN UNBRELLA RIG THE CENTER ATTACHED A WEDDING RING ETC. I had very good results with at WICKIUP. Oregon tackle put a weighted head on them and used them for Tuna/Salmon with great results.I still have them in the experimental stage on Kokanee.

Kokonuts
12-17-2012, 10:41 PM
I'M GLAD I CAN ADD IDEAS AND HELP FELLO FISHERMAN/FISHLADIES. AS KOKANEE FISHERMAN POPULATION GROWES AND GETTING BIGGER AND BETTER WE CAN HELP BRING THIS FISHERY TO ANOTHER LEVEL. i'M NOT ONE TO HOLD BACK SECRETS. i INTRODUCED AN UNBRELLA RIG OREGON TACKLE HAS MARKET THEM I FIRST DESIGNED THEM FOR TROLLING ON TOP FOR KOKANEE WORK EXTREMELY WELL 4 WILLOW LEAF FLASHER BLADES IN AN UNBRELLA RIG THE CENTER ATTACHED A WEDDING RING ETC. I had very good results with at WICKIUP. Oregon tackle put a weighted head on them and used them for Tuna/Salmon with great results.I still have them in the experimental stage on Kokanee.

Mr. Mike, Right On!
The last couple of years I've been making a lot of "Stuff" and The best so far has been my Verticle Dr Weights. The are about 11/2" round & 15" long they can be made in any weight and track very well. For the guys that like to bounce their "Balls" I add a broom to the bottom that really stirs up the bottom for Big Macks. Uncle Larry is making the weights without the Broom.
I also have been using Verticle Flashers that work well above the DR Weight, they really add to the display!
At an estate sale a couple of years ago I found some LIL Guy's that were made in the 1970's By Maxwell Manufacturing for Salmon & Steelhead. They also work for Kokanee!. Crystal Basin picked these up last year and them called Lil Devils.
I have a few more under construction for next spring. I wish I could post pictures here but you cant teach an ole dog new tricks!
Kokonuts