PDA

View Full Version : Nantahala

hornhunter1
09-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Hi Trollmonkey,
Those kokes grow to nice size in your koke lake. I've been targeting kokes for eight seasons now and my largest is 18" 2lbs at Twin lakes three years ago.
Twin lakes use to be an awesome koke fishery until the explosion of the alewives lead to their demise, but it seems to be coming back with the browns thinning them out.
I may have to take a vacation to Nantahala, it's absolutely a beautiful area. I've noticed there is only one koke guide on that lake, do you know why??.
Thanks

Regards, Hornhunter1

trollmonkey
09-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Because we're lucky,not wild about that sort of pressure. I wish we had more koke lakes,but no such luck. Our kokes are wild from, plantings in 59-64. The state doesn't actively manage them,but thankfully the spawning grounds are on private property.That protection gives them a chance to spawn in peace. Fortunately no one has planted any bluebacks ,they are in several area lakes and have impacted walleye and white bass. If you get down here let us know, kokes are kokes it seems. The gear you're using will probably work here. TM

hornhunter1
09-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Thank God for Rainbow Springs security keeping the breeders protected.The only time I had the opportunity to see 100% wild salmon spawn was in Alaska.
It was a beautiful site to see the Kanuktuk River red with sockeye by the thousands, but to see that happening on a smaller scale in your neck of the woods is amazing and makes you North Caroliners very fortunate.
When I make my trek down there when would be the best time to fish the kokes??

Thankyou, Hornhunter1 Russ

trollmonkey
09-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Hey Russ,Early to midsummer is usually pretty consistent.The fishing should hold all summer ,but brutally hot weather killed the koke fishing in late summer over the late few years. I don't get out to Nantahala as often as I'd like,but I would eventually like to see some red fish at the headwaters or in a small trib. Maybe someday Take care Mark

hornhunter1
09-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Mark,
Thankyou for answering my inquiries on the Kokes. Much appreciated.

Best Regards, Russ