PDA

View Full Version : Problem with tohatsu internal tank

bob r
09-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Has anyone had a problem with cracking around fittings on Tohatsu or Nissan internal fuel tanks? I haven't had any issues in 6 years with our 4 hp, 4 stroke outboard, but did an oil change and when filling tank on stand with cowling off this evening noticed a pinhole leak at top hose fitting(right below fuel cap). when wiggled it was obvious that the fitting itself was not molded on with rest of tank but somehow a square piece of the same material around the nipple itself was made separately with the nipple and fitted into the tank body(obviously not well enough).If ran would have wiggled looser and poured gas internally while running. If I had filled it without cowling off could have been really bad with gas on the internals of a hot engine, not impact related, please examine all similar fittings!A new tank is $70 or $80, but cheap considering other possible scenarios. Doubt if one is available in Issiquah but will call in morning, otherwise our weekend fishing is T.U. Bob R

SilverBullets
09-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks Bob...good to know. Just got a 4hp 4 stroke Tohatsu a couple years ago. I didn't mount it on the boat this year (keep it as a spare.) Even though we use a external tank we've been filling the internal up just for emergencies...might not now.

bob r
09-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Just found a new tank in white center at Sorensons marine, maybe get it today, install it and make it out tomorrow. New tanks have a different type plastic nipples on it, black, my guess diff. type plastic insert, they plastic weld them in, they must have had problems like mine to change it.Bob R

bob r
09-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Installed new tank, Sorensons Marine does indeed have the largest supply of Tohatsu parts on their shelves, installed new tank, going fishing! bob r