PDA

View Full Version : Ignition problems

smokepoles
09-10-2012, 01:33 PM
I've had this recurring, but intermittant, problem with the ignition on my 1990 90hp Evinrude. Usually would start after a bit, but never quite sure what I did different, and it never occurred long enough for me to check things out with a voltmeter on board. So, I replaced the ignition switch earlier this year and had couple outings with no problem and thought I had it solved but problem popped up again at the Gorge.

So began carrying a volmeter on boat, and yesterday at Bear Lake it started fine in the morning and a few times after, but then nada. Checked voltage at selenoid and nothing although voltage at start terminal of ignition. Bypassed the neutral safety switch thinking that might be it, but still nothing. So, just put a rope on and gave it a pull. Started right up and we went in as it was time to leave anyway.

Checked it at home and still no power to selenoid (that had not happened before at home where I could investigate in more detail), so figure it must be a short somewhere between the selenoid and after neutral safety switch. Who knows where and I was hating to start looking. Found some crimp connections wrapped in tape back before the last last 2 foot run into the motor. Untaped and started checking them. All looked OK and solid.

Tried ignition again and had power to selenoid. So, thinking maybe I had jiggled things into place or separated the short. Sprayed on electrical cleaner and retaped. Wife tried ignition for me several times and had power to selenoid each time.

Anyway, not sure if that was the problem as it has been no rhyme nor reason to when the problem occurs. Replacing the wire from from ignition to selenoid is probably the correct fix, but hate to get into that right now. This will have to do until end of season. At least I know a pull start is possible, and I expect I can even jump the selenoid if need be.

Other thoughts?

lowe1648mt
09-11-2012, 02:13 AM
I no longer remember the harnesses on the Evenrude/Johnson motors. However the model years just preceeding yours, there was a problem with the Red plug in between the motor and the key switch. Good luck.

smokepoles
09-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Good thought about the red plug on harness in the motor rather than wiring between motor and ignition. I certainly could have moved that as I was checking wires and connections and thus 'fixed' the short. It is clearly worth taking apart and checking, and minimally spray with electrical cleaner/protectant. I always like to do the simple stuff first. It also makes some sense that when the starting occurred when I first got the boat and fishing and camping at a high mountain lake when it was always very damp in the morning. Seemed that if we took the cowling off and fiddled around checking connections (maybe simply allowing things to dry) it would just begin to start and be OK for the rest of day. At first this issue always just happened in the morning and had me convinced that it was perhaps a short from dampness. However, the no start issue then began to pop up later in the day. Perhaps that was because the problem area was getting worse and susceptible to more than just dampness.

Anyway, the intermittent nature of the issue has made it difficult to trace, and it never has been an issue that I could take to the shop.

lowe1648mt
09-12-2012, 12:44 AM
The connecting pins are split. sometimes they get pushed together. that makes for a poor connection. Try spreading them apart, gently, by inserting a knife blade into the split. Make sure the pins are clean as well as the socket they fit into. somrtimes the sockets get spread out. you can tighten them with a small screw driver. Put Dielectric grease on alll connections to hold down corrsion. Again- good luck.

smokepoles
09-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Did that last night. As you indicated, the socket that connects to selenoid was mishapen and could see the 'red' of the plug where it was split apart. I tightened with a small screw driver. There was a hose clamp around the red plug in addition to the usual wire clamp, and I don't think that is stock (never know what you'll find on a 20 year old used motor). I think perhaps the clamp was tightened too much and deformed that connection that is on the outside of plug. No visible corrosion so sprayed with electrical cleaner and protectant. Hardest part was taking of the air intake extension so that I could get to the plug and pull it apart. Need a bent wrench or something to get to the bottom bolt.

Anyway, it's back together and everything seems to work, but only time will tell if it solved the issue. Thanks for your help!

Tight lines,
Chuck

lowe1648mt
09-12-2012, 01:26 PM
No problem. Been working on these things since 1966.