PDA

View Full Version : Last Koke of the Season

rgarbar
08-17-2012, 08:22 AM
5530Went out the other day to target the fish I mark in the upper water column(0 to 30 feet) while chasing kokes. Started to get marks in the 50 to 60 foot range. Took off my spoons and spinners and put on some kokanee terminal tackle and did manage to pick up this small koke(a visitor from West Hilllaugh hyst). Had a couple of more strikes but no fish on. A strong west wind picked up and chased me in. This will probably be my last koke fishing for the year as they are going to drop the level of Nantahala lake after labor day to do some flood gate work and I have to pull my boat out or it will be high and dry on the rocks.

Trout Tracker
08-17-2012, 02:14 PM
That one is too fat to be a West Hill koke. The shorts are not quite that fat.

trollmonkey
08-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Ron, I like that dodger hootchie set-up. Those little dodgers have sweet action. That koke was about the length of the one we got Sat but ours was skinnier( may have been the real West Hill visitor). TM

rgarbar
08-27-2012, 02:09 PM

Got out for a couple of hours today. No kokes but I did get this rainbow and a fiesty 14" smallmouth(released). Marked a couple of schools of fish deep. One at 110 feet and another at 85 feet(too deep for my equipment and my old cranking arm). Took the trout at 60 feet and the bass at 30. Very little traffic on the lake. Just a couple of geezer barges.

Trout Tracker
08-27-2012, 04:17 PM
rgarbar, what kind of dodger is that? Looks good.

SuperD
08-27-2012, 04:30 PM
rgarbar, what kind of dodger is that? Looks good.
Looks to be a Crystal Basin Wild Thing.

rgarbar
08-27-2012, 07:57 PM
It is a Crystal Basin Wild Eye. Both the Flo red and flo green version are very effective at Nantahala especially in May and June when the fish are in the 35' to 50' depths. I usually tow a matching color Macks cha cha squider or Crystal Basin hootchie thing 8' to 12" behind the dodger. Have caught other species with this setup including that trout you in the picture.

Trout Tracker
08-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Hey, Thanks. Gonna have to try some up north here.

rgarbar
09-09-2012, 12:50 PM
<!-- .hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family:Tahoma } -->
Just pulled my boat out for the season as the power company is about to drop the level of Nantahala for dam and flood gate repairs. I envy you guys at west Hill who are still finding and catching kokes. Hoping the dropping of the lake level does not effect the spawn next month as we are entirely dependent on the natural reproduction for our kokes. Put up some statistics of both West Hill and Nantahala. As you can see each lake is different and produces unique challenges. Was a pleasure reading all the Eastern comments. Hoping to see you all for the 2013 season.

Statistics

West Hill Lake

•Lake Type:Natural Freshwater Lake, Dammed
•Water Level Control:Connecticut River Council, BSA
•Surface Area:261 acres
•Shoreline Length:3 miles
•Normal Elevation:935 feet
•Minimum Elevation:932 feet
•Average Depth:34 feet
•Maximum Depth:63 feet
•Water Volume:2,525 acre-feet
•Drainage Area:2 sq.miles
•Trophic State:Oligotrophic

Statistics

Lake Nantahala

•Lake Type:Artificial Reservoir, Dammed
•Water Level Control:Duke Energy
•Surface Area:1,605 acres
•Shoreline Length:20 miles
•Normal Elevation:3,012 feet
•Maximum Depth:249 feet
•Water Volume:137,000 acre-feet
•Completion Year:1942
•Drainage Area:91 sq.miles
•Trophic State:oligotrophic

trollmonkey
09-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Hey Ron, Thanks for the comparitive info.I bet Wolf and Bear would be great koke lakes,but that ain't going to happen. Let me know if you try Queens and what the ramp is like. Also consider Calderwood or Cheoah .A few years back in Oct we caught some nice rainbows and a brookie up to 19".We hadn"t got a fish until 230PM ,then got 14 by 500 PM. We did best on #2 silver bladed Mepps spinners working tight to the bank near the dam. Take care Mark