PDA

View Full Version : steelheads

1keyman
07-08-2012, 07:18 PM
got on the water by 7am and my son hooked up with a largemouth bass first thing on flahers, and a custom wedding ring,then i was able to hook up with to 2 decsent steelhead trout,about 25' down on small silver flashers and a father murphy firetiger wedding ring bug type trailer w/nightcrawler,NO KOKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cliffpaul2
07-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Where?????

1keyman
07-09-2012, 03:40 PM
at berryessa,2 small land locked steelheads,unless there's some other type of trout that i've never seen,i suppose i could be mistaken,they were long silver,pink inside,1 was thicker than the other,and their heads were like rounded bullet shaped,so if you can better identify them,then enlighten me

Cliffpaul2
07-10-2012, 03:27 PM
at berryessa,2 small land locked steelheads,unless there's some other type of trout that i've never seen,i suppose i could be mistaken,they were long silver,pink inside,1 was thicker than the other,and their heads were like rounded bullet shaped,so if you can better identify them,then enlighten me

I'm no expert, but I have a little experience fishing at Berryessa. Attached is a photo of three species I caught a couple of weeks ago. The one on the right is a Rainbow (it had pink meat). The one in the center is a landlocked King Salmon, and the one on the left is a Kokanee. Hope this helps.

1keyman
07-10-2012, 03:37 PM
the fish i have look nothing like those,except maybe the rain,without the color,like just silver with tiny black dot along the back,i know kings look similar to kokes but have lrge block dot on their backs these did'nt,i will try to get descent pics befor i cook them tonight

Tater Salad
07-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Hey 1Key Man,
I believe you caught rainbows. The lake seems to be loaded with them. There is a fishing organization (can't for the life of me remember which one) that has a fish pen, and raises / releases them in the Markley Cove area. It's in the 5 mph zone as you motor out of Markley, on your port side. I believe they are eagle lake strain bows. They are long and sleek, compared to the Kokes / Kings. I attached a photo of 2 limits from Berry, and the 3 fish on the left side are rainbows. See if they look familiar. I apologize for the poor color on the photo.
PM sent about Friday also.

1keyman
07-10-2012, 11:42 PM
these fish had no red in on them what so ever,but we just got done eating one,and i'm more of a catch and release guy on trout, but these fish were super tasty!

Mr. D
07-11-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm assuming you were fishing the Markley area. If so, lot's of trout in the area raised & released by Project Kokanee, CIFFI, each year out of the pens located at the end of the houseboat dock. These are Eagle Lake strain so the pink flesh is no surprise. The fish live in the pens for several months before being released so these fish know how to forage and eat what's in the lake once released. Lot's of small kings in the same area also.
Congrats on taking landing a few!!
Mark

1keyman
07-11-2012, 01:36 PM
i feel embaressed,i guess different rainbows raised in different bodies of water appear ,well different!thank you for all the replies and info,i relly go to berryessa for the kokes,specificly the bigger ones like the pic tater salad has on' birthday berryrssa',but as yet no kokes for me,i have caught kokanee before at just about every lake i've fished for them at,except tahoe,and berryessa,so looking forward to my first giant slug at berry!!!!!!

jmatthias
08-23-2012, 02:09 AM
the fish i have look nothing like those,except maybe the rain,without the color,like just silver with tiny black dot along the back,i know kings look similar to kokes but have lrge block dot on their backs these did'nt,i will try to get descent pics befor i cook them tonight

I Live at Lake Berryessa and watched them plant several thousand pounds of Eagle Lake trout in the last few years and that is most likely what you caught. They have thick skin, pink meat and very good flavor, next best to Kok's, my opinion..

1keyman
09-09-2012, 07:33 PM
well i have learned in this case to ask around a bit more before making a claim on species,however i thank everyone who responded,and i appreciate the tactful manor at the approach everyone took