PDA

View Full Version : Last night at WH!

SeaDog
06-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Hi,

Got out last night on WH and went to the south end, in my boat, with my friends (in their boat).
We both anchored off the yacht club in 53 ft. of water, just before sunset (8:45 PM)!
No wind -> Dead flat greasy calm!

Caught 2 Kokes (13") right away, jigging, at 38 ft. -> Then the bite died till just before midnight!
Friends had to leave, and wouldn't you know it, the schools of Kokes started to come thru again between 33-38 ft. right at that time!
Got my last 6 Kokes within an hour!

Strange how the Kokes here at WH seem to follow this same pattern every year.
You guys on Nantahala (or however you pronounce it ....that name gets me tounge tied ....LOL) seeing the same kind of bite pattern?

Late June thru July we really have to work for them.101thumbsdown101
Aug. thru Sept. we just can't seem to keep them off the hook !thumbsup

Wind kicking up over the next couple of days -> Hope to be out again soon!
Need to smoke up another batch of Kokes -> Last 2 batches of 40 fillets each disappeared in a flash !tongue2

SeaDog

trollmonkey
06-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Hey Seadog ,You pronounce Nantahala just like it's spelled,although it might sound strange with your funny Northeast accent.nananana As far as bite patterns I think normal is a pretty consistent bite through the summer. Fish getting bigger and deeper as time goes on.Finding kokes and being there when they turn on is the deal. But a couple of years lately the bite seemed to shut down midsummer(last year was one of those).You could see kokes deep on the finder,but no biters.It might have been a good time to jig,maybe I'll try to stay up late to try sometime.101smily101 Honestly ,I'm only getting out there 3-4 times a year( wish my koke lake was 4 min from the house bandmyhead). Ron has a much better grasp of whats going on at Nanty,so I'm grateful for him sharing his success.worthy12

rgarbar
06-30-2012, 10:27 AM
SeaDog

Great night out. Question for you. I would like to try to do some night jigging for the kokes. The problem is where I find the kokes the water runs from 130' to over 200' deep. I cannot anchor. Can you catch the kokes on a slow night drift or do have be stationary? I think Mark might be interested in this as well. Thanks Mark us trolls have stick together!

Thanks Ron

SeaDog
06-30-2012, 10:57 AM
SeaDog

Great night out. Question for you. I would like to try to do some night jigging for the kokes. The problem is where I find the kokes the water runs from 130' to over 200' deep. I cannot anchor. Can you catch the kokes on a slow night drift or do have be stationary? I think Mark might be interested in this as well. Thanks Mark us trolls have stick together!

Thanks Ron

Hi Ron,

Yeah! You should be able to drift fish and jig for them on dead calm water.

Would suggest you drop an anchor down 15-30 ft. or use a drift sock (sea anchor) to slow your drift even more.

You'll be able to tell by the angle of your fishing line -> Closer you get to vertical will be best.

SeaDog

trollmonkey
06-30-2012, 11:44 AM
SeaDog

Thanks Ron

Hey Ron,I've never had great luck night fishing ,but I haven 't put lots of effort into it. Down at Jocassee lots of trout are caught at night. It is deeper than Nantahala,folks tie off to the intake structure(may not be legal now?) or tie off to the bank, back out into deep water,then anchor in deep water.Their lights draw in tons of shad and herring.Seemed like Doc Oc tried night fishing a year or so back? Not sure how it went.I can think of a spot or two that might be worth a shot in the dark. Mark

rgarbar
06-30-2012, 06:34 PM
This night jigging for kokes sounded great until I started to think. I would have to get a light system, probably a rod and reel designed for jigging. I would also need braded line and an anchor. Wife said101no101. The day I picked up my ball and chain is coming soon(they call it anniversery) I had best save my funds for that. I am going to investigate this further. Thanks for the info guy's.