PDA

View Full Version : Trailer bunk

jekern1015
06-25-2012, 02:44 PM
I need to replace one of the bunks on my boat trailer. Has anyone done this? Was there a specific brand that you can recommend. Mine is all rotted out and just floats in the water when I put the trailer in the water. What is the best way to replace them? Do I go to a lake and let my boat sit at a dock while i replace the bunk then go fishing or do I use a couple of jacks and a 2x4 to lift the boat off the bunk and replace it at home.

smokepoles
06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
I replaced the four bunks on my trailer last Sept.. I cut doug fir 2x4 to length and carpeted at home. I then took boat to Hyrum during middle of week, launched boat and tied up to dock (really no one around this time of year), and removed old and put on new bunks. Mine were easy as the bunks sit in brackets and are held in place with nails from the sides.

Trackerg
06-25-2012, 05:36 PM
I kind of cheated. used the overhead crane in company shop. picked the boat up in the back just off the bunk boards. Replaced the boards with treated 2 bys. from lumber store and marine carpet from boat supply.

dragonfly
06-25-2012, 08:40 PM
mine is an alumn. jet and has hdpe plastic bunk runnere and was wondering if you guys had to have carpeting ? if you could use the new plastic deck woods instead of wood and you would never have to replace them again just a thought

smokepoles
06-26-2012, 12:21 AM
Lot of stuff on the internet about replacing bunks. I believe the plastic decking not to provide enough support for a bunk given typical spacing of supports. Treated lumber is generally of lower quality/strength than select good doug fir. I settled with premium doug fir selecting the best pieces from Home depot. Covered with marine bunk carpet using stainless staples. Left back side open so to allow faster drying. There are other options if you need boat to slide off, but I'd rather have the grip of carpet and float it off.

Full_Monte
06-26-2012, 07:02 AM
It depends on the size and weight of your boat. The heavier it is, floating it off starts to look like a good idea. If you can handle it, jacking it off the trailer on one side with hydraulic jacks and temporary 2x4 bunk between the hydraulic jacks and the boat hull might work as well. Either way, having the replacement bunk ready to install before starting work is a good idea.

TroutScout
08-04-2012, 08:59 PM
I was going to replace my 2 x 4's bunks with treated lumber and was warned not to use treated wood with an aluminum boat because the wood treatment chemicals react chemically with aluminum and destroy the aluminum. So I did an on-line search and found information warning against using treated wood. So I used regular pine instead and gave them three coats of exterior paint to slow rotting.

SuperD
08-05-2012, 04:52 PM
I've always done my trailer work when the boat is in the water or parked in a slip while camping. If one uses the boat in the water method, just come over prepared with extra parts and cordless drill. Stuff happens and being over prepared is never a bad thing.

bfloyd4445
08-05-2012, 06:47 PM
the lake is a good idea but make yourself a new bunk before you go to the lake so all you have to do is remove the old one and lag bolt the new one on. wouldnt be a bad idea to replace them as a pair. Use carpet designed for wet areas and they will last forever. I have used plain old carpet scraps and had them last for years.
won't take you but an hour or less then go play on the water

Bduck
08-06-2012, 09:24 AM
My boat is glass. The bunkers I replaced were in ok shape but started showing signs of deteriation. I found a nice piece of indoor/out carpet at Costo for $25. I used press treated timber 2X's. I cut a pad to sit flush on the wood and wrapped with more pad all the way around. I didn't wait to get to the lake. I used a floor jack with a block of wood. Jacked up one side at a time and replaced old ones. Didn't take much more than 20mins to replace. No other maintenance was required. Its been about 2yrs now and the staples I used to tack the carpet down with are the only thing starting to show signs of deteriation but that won't effect how its put together.

Old School
08-16-2012, 12:00 AM
I recently did the job and pretty much did what smokepoles described. Only addition was I went to home depot and bought the brown pressure treated wood cuz their selection of fir was poor. I pondered a couple days and decided I didn't want to chance chem reactions on my aluminum so decided to see what lowes had. I was much more impressed with their fir and they had both wet and kiln dried doug fir. I went kiln dried. I bought my carpet at bass pro I think. Use SS staples. I even bought some outdoor carpet sealer I thought would be good for the seams. Never needed it so don't waste ur time on that.

Paul S.
09-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Another good wood for bunks is redwood, if you can find it. Also, tamarack (western red larch) is another good choice as neither of 'em will tend to rot with repeated wettings. For covering, I use a double layer of indoor-outdoor carpeting over the top and a single layer on the sides.