PDA

View Full Version : New Melones 6/6 and 7

Tater Salad
06-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Fished Melones for the first time this year.
Wednesday fished 3 different areas. I intentionally left fish to scout other areas. Started around the islands in Carson Cove. After 2 fish, moved to off of Glory Hole point for 2 more fish. Then moved to just south east of the dam. I was able to release one fish that swam fast and hard almost straight down, so I was able to keep fishing. The next fish was bleeding, so I was done fishing.

It was still early so I went looking at other areas to see if I could find fish. My conclusion was that within a minute boat ride you could find Kokes in any area of the lake. Fish were consistant from 20' to 60' on the Lowrance. I caught fish at depths from 35' to 45'.

All of the Kokes I caught were small, 11" to 12.5".

I tried quite a few different hoochies, bugs, etc. My home made beads with a small blade behind a bahama mama dodger was the producer. Bead color was either pink or orange glow, and the blades were gold or silver.

Thursday I took a friend fishing. He had never trolled with downriggers, let alone for Kokanee. We started at the south end of the island in the Mormon Creek area, and never left there. It was a bit of a fire drill running 3 downriggers, and 3 rods, while teaching him how. It seems like the longest we waited for action was 3 minutes. That is until we were looking for the go home fish. Fish #10 took about 45 minutes to find, and was a little deeper, at 53'. I used the same tackle that I had used the day before. Riggers at 35', 40' and 45' all day, until the last fish.

Thursday's fish were all 11" to 12".

Hope to see some of you at the Russ Faught Memorial Tournament on the 16th!