PDA

View Full Version : bike rack

grant
06-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks to some good tips from the forum I bought and installed a hitch/towbar... now done that I thought would be good extra to get a bike rack to place on it, they got several models/brands... i need one for 2 ATB's which brands/types are good?
Thanks!

SuperD
06-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Read the fine print carefully. Of the ones in the link you posted, most say, 1 1/4" receiver tube. That would be more common to a car or small SUV size hitch. 2" would be the typical truck receiver size. I would recommend buying a rack for more bikes than just the 2. Handle bars and pedals always get in the way when you try to jamb the designed number of bikes on any rack. I use a 3 bike rack for my wife's and my bikes.

grant
06-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Read the fine print carefully. Of the ones in the link you posted, most say, 1 1/4" receiver tube. That would be more common to a car or small SUV size hitch. 2" would be the typical truck receiver size. I would recommend buying a rack for more bikes than just the 2. Handle bars and pedals always get in the way when you try to jamb the designed number of bikes on any rack. I use a 3 bike rack for my wife's and my bikes.

Thanks, never thought about that... yes it will be 2 bikes but what you say makes lot of sense. Thanks!thumbsup

Full_Monte
06-19-2012, 07:40 PM
I just bought a Thule rack after dinking around with a hanger-type for two years. I'll never go back to the hanger type. Too much time putting the bikes on and insuring they don't knock into each other.
Try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JUF4G2/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

Also, get the hitch pin that keeps the rack from rattling around. You won't be sorry with either of these. Also, a Barbeque cover makes a good bike cover when you aren't underway. I use one at the campgrounds to keep people from seeing what's inside. It also keeps the rain out.