PDA

View Full Version : 1st shot at canning yesterdays catch....

02gtdbzfan
05-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Well, after much research, I read so many different methods, I decided to wing it and go with my gut-

pint jars
packed with fresh kok, scaled, iced over night, steak cuts
shot of V8 hot and spicy
Tbsp of white wine vinegar
Tbsp of chopped jalepeno
some fresh white onion
splash of tabasco
splash of wortheschire
1/4-1/2 tsp of salt
pre-boiled 30 min
90 min in pressure cook on high

we shall see....comments? thoughts?

rebelsportsman
05-28-2012, 09:52 PM
i am going to be doing my first ever canning in the next week or so. let us know how this comes out.

SuperD
05-29-2012, 10:18 AM
You've added a lot of liquid so don't pack too tight with fish. They give off a lot of liquid too. It can create a boil over in the jar and the end result is the lids don't seal. The first few batches are going to be trial and error. The few jars that don't seal are okay to eat immediately or be refrigerated. I like your choice of ingredients. Try adding a 1/2 a bay leaf to that.

02gtdbzfan
05-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks, they turned out great. A bay leaf would have been a great addition...next time for sure.

SuperDaveMT
05-30-2012, 12:46 PM
How much head space did you leave for the liquid from the fish? I can't wait to try your recipe - thanks for sharing

MMDON
05-30-2012, 11:37 PM
I think dill might be better with fish than a bay leaf . . .

SuperD
05-31-2012, 11:52 AM
How much head space did you leave for the liquid from the fish? I can't wait to try your recipe - thanks for sharing
Ideally, the fish should have some air space around it in the jar and brought up to the beginning of the jar threads for the lid. That is roughly 1/2" to 3/4" head space.