PDA

View Full Version : colorado kokanee

rebelsportsman
05-14-2012, 10:13 PM
it is about 3 weeks until i go after my first kokanee and lake trout. i bought a portabote and motor to haul up there with me. i started the motor today and it is fine. i will put together the boat tomorrow and see how it works.

rebelsportsman
05-26-2012, 10:44 AM
we are on our way to colorado. a stop in allen, tx for the grandsons birthday today and then to coldwater kansas on monday to visit friends and then to buena vista, colorado. anyone that fishes that area and wants a partner, let me know. i will be there for 3 months.

rebelsportsman
06-02-2012, 09:51 AM
i am in buena vista, if anyone wants to fish for kokanee and needs a partner for the day. i will start fishing monday around here. i know there are trout biting, but do not know anything about kokanee yet.

Bduck
06-02-2012, 09:15 PM
rebelsportsman, I wish the best for you in the pursuit of kokes. From the moment you catch your first one, you'll find out who really got hooked. You need to add the Gorge to your bucket list. signfishin

101chromefish101

ElPasoCounty
07-04-2012, 11:15 PM
How'd you do?

rebelsportsman
07-05-2012, 09:09 AM
my wife caught one so far and some friends are starting to catch a few. i have done real good on trout, but have not caught a kokanee yet. i went to blue mesa, to look around, and saw quite a few kokes brought in to the boat ramp there. i don't think my porta boat is big enuogh to get on the water there, so it will be next summer before i get out on blue mesa.

silverkoke
07-29-2012, 02:04 PM
hey are you still up there , ill show u how to get kokes there if u are interested ? , are u going to be at clear creek tommorow by a chance ?

rebelsportsman
08-01-2012, 07:34 PM
i can be at clear creek almost any day. i caught a nice kokanee today in antero. i am going to clear creek tomorrow. any day you are going to be there let me know. i am only about 15 minutes away.

TroutScout
08-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Here's a piture of Blue Mesa jiggers on Aug 11, 2012.
They sit over a school of Kokes and use cripple lures with mity lites (strobe lights).
A friendly bunch that doesn't mind company.5511

rebelsportsman
08-13-2012, 10:48 AM
thanks. i only have the porta bote to fish out of this summer, so i have stayed away from blue mesa. i am bringing my 18' bluewave next summer and will be on blue mesa a lot.

stratofisher
08-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Just got back from fishing for a week at Blue Mesa. Fish are holding at around 85'. The bite seems to pick up at around 9:45 in the morning after the sun hits the water and the fish school up a bit. If you go be sure and get some mity lites early. We fished all week until Friday when we were finally able to procure some lites. Very low success rate without the mity lites. After the lites it was full on fish catching. Just want everyone to be aware of the importance of the lights as you will be extremely frustrated as everyone else around you catches fish and you just jig for an eternity to catch one or two fish each day. Needless to say I bought a handful of the lights for my next trip up there. Be sure to measure out 75', 85' and 95' with dental floss ties to your line. It will help you to nail the depths as the fish are very tightly grouped at around 85' with some up and down movement. Jig color did not seem to matter much. Be sure to use braided line for the mainline, and then add a flurocarbon leader. Another trick is to use the 1.5 ounce jigs with an aftermarket size 4 treble. The original hooks are too large on the crippled herring jigs. Well that just about covers all the tricks of the trade I learned while up there. Campground rumor was to follow the guy with the red jackets on his motor as he is consistently locating the fish schools. Might be something to this rumor. Anyways enjoy the fishing.

silverkoke
08-20-2012, 02:10 PM
hey rebel ,im going to gunnison and may stop at clear creek on labor day the 3rd , are u going to be there still ,could me and my brother go in ur boat ?

Walleyes and Roosters
08-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Campground rumor was to follow the guy with the red jackets on his motor as he is consistently locating the fish schools. Might be something to this rumor. Anyways enjoy the fishing.[/QUOTE]

Randy is going to love that spewel. Best bet is to get some good electronics and find your own school.

rebelsportsman
08-20-2012, 10:35 PM
i have to go back to texas thursday. we have a granddaughter with her first birthday on saturday. we have to make it back for that. now next year it is possible we may be a few weeks late getting back to texas. this weather up here is great compared to the heat in texas.

stratofisher
08-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Figured whoever had the red jackets on the boat might get a kick out of the fact that the campground was telling folks to follow him. Had no problem finding the schools with my 1197 Hummingbird. It was just getting the fish to bite my offerings. That improved greatly after getting that sily Mity lite.