PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger cable or line?

Kokonuts
10-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Ive read about measuring the voltage from the downrigger but havnt done that yet. I am wondering if simply changing to a braided type of line would solve any question of voltage spooking the fish.

Since I seldom go below 75 to 100 ft. for trolling I dont think the cost would be to much.

Has anyone tried this approach? thumbsup

Petty4life
10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Ive read about measuring the voltage from the downrigger but havnt done that yet. I am wondering if simply changing to a braided type of line would solve any question of voltage spooking the fish.

Since I seldom go below 75 to 100 ft. for trolling I dont think the cost would be to much.

Has anyone tried this approach? thumbsup

I know some guys that use 75 lb braid on there downriggers and they seam to like it

FishHunter
10-14-2008, 06:39 PM
My brother tried the braided line for one season and then went back to the wire. He was always afraid of dragging his balls on the bottom of the lake and losing one. He eventually lost one and then switched back to the wire line. We replace the anodes on our boats every year and check the current on our wire line a couple of times a year and have never had voltage problems.

Petty4life
10-14-2008, 06:46 PM
My brother tried the braided line for one season and then went back to the wire. He was always afraid of dragging his balls on the bottom of the lake and losing one. .

I'm afraid of the same thinglaugh hysttooexcitedlaugh hyst

Propnut69
10-14-2008, 07:06 PM
On my old downriggers I ran 150 lb braided line,that I had brought from Cabela's.When using braided line there is no worry about having stray voltage running through your downriggers. Like anything else ,there are advantages,and disadvantages when using braided line or SS wire.
About the only real advantages that i seen when using braid was.
1. There is no annoying hum,this was the primary reason I was using braid.
2. Braided line is cheaper to replace then SS wire.
3. When using braid compared to SS wire,I always felt that there was less"blowback" on the weight's. All through there was no hard and fast evidence to this,it was just my personal theory.
Some of the disadvantages that I found were.
1. Some downriggers that have auto-stop won't work with braided line.My new Cannon's use a in line isolator,that makes a electrical loop,but it has to have SS wire to work.
2. With the braided line I found that I had to refresh the spools every couple of years. This meant taking all the line off the spool,and putting the older line on the bottom of the spool.Keeping the fresher line on top. It was a real P.I.T.A to do.
3. Braided line for the most part is weaker then SS wire. IF you hang up your weights with braid,it will take less to break the line compared to SS wire.
4. The new coated SS wire has very little "hum" so that by it's self is no longer a problem for me.

I think most of it is just a personal preference as weather to use braid or SS wire. As for catching fish,I never noticed any difference when either using the braided line ,or the SS wire.

PS I never liked draggin my balls on the bottom of the lake either..................laugh hyst

TopFuelKokanee
10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Careful there guys....I may have to send the administrator and a moderator to the penalty box with the spammers.nana

jacksonlaker
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I used braided line this year also. Like it was said, no hum. I also pull the balls in the boat when moving in rough water. The SS cable would scratch or cut the aluminum gunales on my Crestliner, the braid doesnt. What I dont like about it it sometimes doesn't wing good on the spool, and you need to check the conection point alot. I have retied mine twice. Is it worth switching ?? I dont think so.

Kokonuts
10-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the Quick Replys!
Propnut...Do you have any more info on the coated SS wire line?

Its never a good thing to drag your "BALLS" on the bottom!! laugh hyst

Propnut69
10-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the Quick Replys!
Propnut...Do you have any more info on the coated SS wire line?

Its never a good thing to drag your "BALLS" on the bottom!! laugh hyst

Kokonuts you have mail thumbsup