PDA

View Full Version : Okanagan lake questions

jekern1015
04-29-2012, 12:11 PM
I plan on towing my boat up to Okanagan lake next week in hopes of fishing for the kokanee. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start looking for them. We will be spending a few days in Kelowna. We plan on fishing the morning hours and then hitting up the wineries in the evening. Fresh Salmon and a good bottle of wine sound really good for dinner. I also plan on hitting Stump lake and Kawkawa lake sometime during the rest of the week. I would also be open to any starting points on those lakes. I have also been giving some thought about putting my boat in the harbour and looking for salmon, but not sure if I want to deal with the saltwater. Thanks for any info you are willing to share with me.

platypus
04-30-2012, 01:29 PM
--wood lake just north of kelowna.. two fish limit but good size and ice has been of a while so should start to pick up now.
--monte lk north of vernon if you head that way, again should have some decent size has been tough fishing lately but I think that is due to colder and wetter than usual spring so if you get into decent weather should be great for fishing as well.
--Skaha a maybe.. haven't been out on the lake yet hopeing for this week but most years it has been good in early may.
--Okanagan is the big unknown at this time as kokanee has just been open after being closed for many years so many people in the area haven't fished it for kokanee since mid 90's.
--Again okanagan on my list to try areas I used to fish. One place you may wish to try close to kelowna is Okanagan provincial camp.. kokanee of good size used to haunt the area near and north of the boat launch... and just our front of the Greta Ranch winery next to the park.

jekern1015
04-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the information platypus. We are planning on fishing either Sunday or Monday next week, depending on long it takes us to drive from Spokane. I think I saw a fishing B.C. show where they were fishing for kokanee at Monte lake. I don't think I will make it up that far but I am interested in trying Wood lake. Wood lake looks a lot smaller than Okanagan so the fish should be easier to find.

platypus
05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
--wood is the most popular for decent size kokanee, fairly sheltered, probably your best bet this time of year, not as dangerous weather wise for smaller boats, two fish limit.
--pictures of wood lake kokanee on kelownafishing site.