View Full Version : New motor

fairweatherman
04-22-2012, 12:59 PM
If you was going to buy a new 115 hr motor what would you buy
Mercury 4 stroke
evinrude E-tec

SuperD
04-22-2012, 03:21 PM
The Mercury. I know the E-Tec weighs less but it still requires oil. I believe the 4 stroke will last you the rest of the life of the boat.

lowe1648mt
04-22-2012, 03:45 PM
The Mercury. I know the E-Tec weighs less but it still requires oil. I believe the 4 stroke will last you the rest of the life of the boat.

I agree. I respect what bomardiee(?) has done with thier new tech, but Merc has a bigger service network and more dealers. It it's also a reliable motor.

Bogey
04-23-2012, 05:23 PM
I had a 60 HP 4-stroke merc on my first duck/fishing boat that I bought in 2001 - loved that motor!

I have a 2008 e-tec 115 on my current duck/fishing boat (bought new in 2008) - love that motor!

LOL, ok, the 60 merc was a "little" quieter. Both were/are great on gas. The service (routine) is less on the e-tec. And ya, the 115 is a lot more ponies than the 60, so not apples to apples, but holy frigging crap, hold on to something when I push forward on the throttle nowworthy12.

It was a hard decision for me. I liked/trusted my merc and my buddy had the Merc 115 4-stroke on his set up and I liked it...but, it was heavier...

So rather than flip a coin, I let "service department" settle it = who did I trust, and how close to me were they? We only have one boat shop in town and they are a Honda/Evinrude dealer and I totally trust the mechanic. The closest Merc dealer for me was 40 miles away and I was not happy with them.

If the merc dealer had been closer/better, I may have overlooked weight and had another merc hanging on the back, but I didn't and I'm NOT sorry.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get!

SuperD
04-23-2012, 05:37 PM
And ya, the 115 is a lot more ponies than the 60, so not apples to apples, but holy frigging crap, hold on to something when I push forward on the throttle now.
Probably my old age coming into play but hole shot is a 20 - 30 second event where as cruising from one spot to another a 20 - 30 minute event, I'd rather have the quiet, low rpm ride assuming a 115 HP is enough to get the job done in the first place. I was going to originally answer the original post and say, "a 150." LOL!

fairweatherman
04-23-2012, 06:44 PM
I already have a 02 115 mercury 4 stroke which all my boat can have on it the 4 stroke is a pile of you no what I have put $2500.00 in it in the last year for nothing its a yamaha powerhead and I wouldn't have another one ever I've tryed to get a mercury 4 stroke but it's 7 weeks out no one wants my motor but the the guy in Hyrum Ut that been working on it I thinking about a mercury 2 stroke otimax he is giving me a good deal $8000.00 out the door what do you think?

lowe1648mt
04-24-2012, 10:57 AM
The Opimax is a very good motor. It had problem when it was a new design back in '95 or so, The problems have been hammered out over the years.
The 4 stroke went thru the same process. Started out as a bstard motor. 1/2 Yami, and 1/2 Merc. Hammered out the Yami 1/2.
Price? Shop the internet.
Chrs

kokaguy1
04-25-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm looking at the new F70 4 stroke Yamaha for my 17' Alumaweld anyone heard any good/bad on that motor? Currently have a merc 50hp 4 stroke a littl slow getting out of the hole with 3 adults in the boat. other than that it runs great!

SuperD
04-25-2012, 11:04 PM
I swear by my Yamaha 4 strokes but have also heard great things about the Suzukis.

Bduck
04-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I have a 97' 4stroke Merc 9.9... Its my kicker. The only regret I have with it is no electrical start & charging system. Once in a while on cold mornings it get an extra couple of pulls to get it running. Other same type of mornings it cranks right off. All in all I'm happy with its performance. To add additional electrical would bump the pocket book about $500 which is not unreachable. Thats not a priority to me at this time vs other stuff I want.

Targa165
04-26-2012, 01:30 PM
I have the 08 Mercury 90 HP Optimax and love it. I wasn't sure I would like a 2 stroke when I ended up with it but after running it the last 4 seasons I have really come to love it. It gets great fuel milage and you have no oil changes. They burn really clean with the oil injection (no mixing) and they start really well with the EFI. After running the Optimax I'm not sure I would want to go back to a 4 stroke, JMHO.

fairweatherman
04-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Well I did it I order a new 115 optimax I hope I have as good of luck as you have can wait I should have next week then off to to Gorge hopefuly it will run a lot better than my other one did

SuperD
04-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Well I did it I order a new 115 optimax I hope I have as good of luck as you have can wait I should have next week then off to to Gorge hopefuly it will run a lot better than my other one did
Just remember to do a proper break in period. ;-)

Targa165
04-26-2012, 07:02 PM

Congratulations fairweatherman. The people I've talked to with the 115 Optimax have really liked their motor as much as I like my 90 Optimax. I don't think your going to regret buying it. Enjoy my friend.

Bogey
04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
I think you will be very, very happy with your new motor. enjoy.

fairweatherman
05-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Got the new motor on Friday went to the Gorge that nite got up first and spent 1.5 hours breakin time on run great came back for breakfast got blowed out the rest off the day got up this morning fished till noon motor ran great and the fishing was good 2 limits of kokes I think it going to work out a lot better than what I had

Targa165
05-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Got the new motor on Friday went to the Gorge that nite got up first and spent 1.5 hours breakin time on run great came back for breakfast got blowed out the rest off the day got up this morning fished till noon motor ran great and the fishing was good 2 limits of kokes I think it going to work out a lot better than what I had

Glad to hear you got it and had a chance to get on the water with it. I'm sure you'll like it more and more the longer you have it, enjoy.

Al Vose
05-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Good day all
I am looking for a fairly new 40HP? any one have one for SALE ??
Let me know Thanks.
Al Vose