PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Hagens order?

MTmountainman
04-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Anyone interested in splitting a spinner blade (and maybe a few dodger blanks) order at Hagens? Ideally I am just putting together my first koke box and need a variety, not a ton of the same thing. You don't have to commit by responding, let's just see if we could come up with a way to make it work.

MTmountainman
04-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Lots of views, but no replies. I realize I am a new member. I guess I might even be breaking forum rules. Anyone know? Surely this group must have done this before. How did it work? Maybe I should search first.

MackayGuy
04-22-2012, 07:28 PM
I think maybe most folks have done their order already. I usually do my hagen's order in January or February so my stuff is done before this time of year. Others may do the same....may be why responses are lacking.

MTmountainman
04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Ah, the perils of having a birthday after fishing season has begun :(

MackayGuy
04-23-2012, 11:49 AM
What specifically are you looking for? Maybe we can put together a care package. I always over buy....just ask my wife.

SuperD
04-23-2012, 01:50 PM
I think it is worth noting that there really isn't a minimum order. Minimum order quantities listed aren't true minimums. If you are really just starting, you can get quantities that would be reasonable.

MTmountainman
04-24-2012, 09:59 AM
I think it is worth noting that there really isn't a minimum order. Minimum order quantities listed aren't true minimums. If you are really just starting, you can get quantities that would be reasonable.

There is a minimum though, right? It's the quantity that comes in a bag. Maybe i should just call, but I assume it must be ~20/bag. Ideally, I would like to order ~5 of each color blade plus a few sling blade blanks. Nice to have variety. I have been gearing up to introduce my family to big water trolling, and I want to make sure we can be successful so that they like it.

For X-mas I received a new locator and my Wife got me a Big Jon dr for Valentine's Day. I have been making my own rod holders and am working on some inline planer boards. Now I have a little birthday cash and think I really need a couple of kokanee rods (Cabela's Whuppin' Sticks thanks to this forum) and reels. Oh yeah, I still need lures, dodgers and scents! Nice blades are over $1 apiece and sling blades are $5.

Still, after seeing the Hagens catalog I think there must be a better way. I just don't need to start out with hundreds of blades, just an assortment of good ones.

Anyone shocked at how much Radical Glow beads are!?

SculpinKing
04-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Here are a few things I learned from my experience ordering from Hagens this year:

You can order whatever quantity you want. You will theoretically get charged an extra $1 if you're under the minimum (so 5 $0.20 spinner blades would cost $2.00), but some of us have found that they didn't actually charge us the $1 fee for most of our stuff. I don't know why and I didn't know until my order showed up, but you may get lucky.

There is no bag minimum. I believe they have a big bin of blades, etc that they pull from and do the "count" by weight rather than counting one by one for cheaper items like spinner blades. I say this because when I actually counted the blades, I found I usually wasn't exactly the number I ordered (ordered 20 got 23, etc.) and was always off in my favor.

Everything came in individually heat-sealed bags with the product # written on the side. Very professional.

MTmountainman
06-08-2012, 11:57 AM
I was intimidated to place my first Hagens order, but probably shouldn't have been. I have not received my order yet, but the process was simple enough. BTW - T3 trolling spoons are on backorder :( Anyone had any luck with the glow spoons?

kelson
06-09-2012, 11:57 AM
They will give first time buyers free samples of some of the items, at least this was the case with my first order. I recommend you call and place your order and see how they handle your lower volume request.
K

MTmountainman
06-10-2012, 09:24 AM
I wish I would have placed my order differently. I had a budget, but was not charged the minimums (first time order) and so I could have spent twice what I did. Oh well, nice to be tying spinners :)

SculpinKing
06-10-2012, 06:13 PM
I was intimidated to place my first Hagens order, but probably shouldn't have been. I have not received my order yet, but the process was simple enough. BTW - T3 trolling spoons are on backorder :( Anyone had any luck with the glow spoons?

I got several 14+" fish this morning behind a Green and Orange T3. Didn't get a chance to get my Pink & Plum ones wet yet. I had to bend all my T3's to give them some action at the speeds we troll.

MTmountainman
06-12-2012, 11:52 AM
I got several 14+" fish this morning behind a Green and Orange T3. Didn't get a chance to get my Pink & Plum ones wet yet. I had to bend all my T3's to give them some action at the speeds we troll.

I noticed that they all have come completely flattened. Does the lower end of the T3 get bent down and the top bent up? Do you have to try to add a cup to the spoon to get the proper action? Hopefully they will get a maiden voyage this weekend.

SculpinKing
06-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I started with them just like they came and they gave a bit of wobble action, but not the usual wide roll dodgers usually impart. We were fishing relatively slow so that might be part of the issue. I just gave it a nice wide bend (almost like stringing a bow) and that gave it a lot more action. I know Kent Cannon has some diagrams for good bends for Sling Blade style dodgers in his book, but I don't recall them exactly. I'd just play around with them and run them next to the boat to see what you end up with.

MTmountainman
06-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Aha!

http://nwoutdoorwriter.com/Tips/Shasta_Dodger_Adjustment.html

Thanks SculpinKing!

SculpinKing
06-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Ah, I forgot he had it on his website too. I did something akin to the single bend, but it ended up a lot more rounded than what he shows in the drawing. Those buggers are amazingly difficult to bend.

MTmountainman
06-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Looking forward to experimenting with different actions. Something you cannot do with standard spoons :)

MTmountainman
07-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Just to update - I managed to tie ~30 glow spinners and make up 10 dodgers for $35. I taped them up with foil from Paper Street Plastics (ebay seller) that I was able to pick up for almost nothing. They caught fish last weekend too and it was very satisfying. I forgot the Gulp one day, so used some ice fishing tails and scent and they worked great! I used these: