PDA

View Full Version : Another Trolling Plate Question

avid_outdoorsman
04-22-2012, 03:24 AM
I've got a Johnson 150 HP motor. Anyone ever try a trolling plate on a motor this big in an attempt to get it slow enough for kokes?

Just trying to come up with a way to use the boat I've got to catch some fish.

It is a bass boat so it does have en electric trolling motor up front but to use it, I have to seat in the pedestal seat on the front deck (kind of awkward while trolling kokes) + I'm not sure about the electric trolling motor pushing me along at the desired speed for any length of time.

Thoughts?

SuperD
04-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Bass boat has little to no drag in the water and you should be able to be "pulled" around the lake all day. Look into buying a copilot or auto pilot head for your electric and you will be very happy.

KOKANEE
04-24-2012, 02:17 PM
My boat has a 320HP motor duo/prop and I used a trolling plate for several years. It didnt slow me down enough for the kokes so I had a weld shop weld a 2 inch extension on to the trolling plate which then put me down to 1.8mph. They also beefed it up cause it kept bending the plate with that much force. Finally got tired of running the main motor all the time and bought a 9.9hp mercury. Wish I would have done that sooner got lots of hrs on the hour meter from trolling around all day. Just my 2 cents
Koke

ducky911
05-10-2012, 10:56 AM
I have a trolling plate but hate the engine noise. Electric is the way to go. Wireless remotes are the way to go.

cruiser73
05-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I installed a trolling plate on my 115 merc(4 stroke) because it would not troll less than 2.5mph (as per gps). Now it will troll down to right at 1 mph. It is a newer fuel injected 115. Made quite a difference with hook ups on rainbows but I didnt get to try it on kokes before I put the trolling plate on. I troll all day with it. It also took about 2 mph off top end but who needs speed.
Frank

Kingchinook
05-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I used a trolling plate for two years I have a 90 e-tec it was ok but finally broke down and stopped being so cheap and bought a Honda kicker 5 horse it was the best thing I have ever done you just have so much more fine tuning available I do drag a five gallon bucket every now and then if I want to go below 1 mph but my next purchase will be auto pilot electric but trolling plates have there place and mine helped me get on plane even faster so if you have to they will work but if you have the option get a kicker or electric and keep killin Kokanee and while I'm rambling about gear don't forget your Kokanee kid flashers And never use any other hoochie other than the best ever R&K hoochies there new silver and super micros are the best thing since Lamiglass started making fishing poles thanks for reading this article hopefully it helped somebody and to anybody who I have affended in the past I apollogise and I hope i can help you with good tips catch fish in the future if you have any wonders on lakes on the eastside just ask and I hope I can help thanks