PDA

View Full Version : Apex Baits

Lundman
06-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Just wondering what the best baits are for Apex lures?? Sure you could use night crawlers, meal worms, salmon eggs, or Gulp products but the problem I have at the Gorge is I seem to catch mostly little (90%)feller's.

Most fisherman know that Shoe Peg white corn is the bait of choice in most of the western states but that's not an option for Gorge.

Does anybody have sucess fishing the Apex for bigger fish with a certain bait or is it depth, speed, color, or Mojo.

Kokehead
06-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I just scent it up with pro cure in the kokanee favorites.

Trophy Taker
06-12-2008, 07:40 PM
I have used the Gulp imitation corn as well as some stuff from a company called enterprize tackle out of IRELAND, but the thing that has worked the best as far as corn type baits goes, is to buy the yellow foam fly fishing indicators by Cortland. Take the adheasive off the back fold it back on itself like a kernal of corn, slip it on the hook then cover it with Pro-Cure Sweet corn.

Here is the link to enterprize tackle but usually you can get this stuff on e-bay cheaper.
http://www.enterprisetackle.co.uk/imitation.htm

Kokehead
06-12-2008, 07:46 PM
The kokanee aren't attracted to the shape or color of corn type baits, but the smell and flavor. Considering what they actually feed on, this trips me out.

Trophy Taker
06-12-2008, 07:54 PM
I agree with Kokehead wierd stuff! However; it’s interesting when you talk to anglers that can use corn they will swear by Shoe Peg. I have also read various articles by zoologists that hypothesize the smell of corn is very close to the smell emitted by distressed phytoplankton. I’m no science guy but hey whatever the reason is I think most of us would agree that it doesn’t hurt to scent your lure/baits. I have also heard several reasons why it has been outlawed in most western states but here is an interesting article from the Pennslyvania fish and boat commision.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/corn_chum.htm

TheFireman
06-12-2008, 10:41 PM
About the only thing I use on apexes is the rubber corn made by exude with pro-cure sweet corn scent. Once in a while I'll put a mealworm on the back hook, some days it works some days it don't. As for just catching little fellers keep trying, some of my biggest kokes have come on apexes.

hillbilly
06-13-2008, 12:12 AM
I have cought allot of bigger kokes on the orange one with the e chip in it I don't really know if it works but it's worked for me.

Digi-Troller
06-14-2008, 01:37 AM
I'll put a peice of night crawler or mealworm on from time to time... but most of the time Pro Cure is all that is needed. If you do bait an Apex, be careful not to overload it or it will ruin the action.