PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Lucky Peak Fishing Thread

gonefishing
04-16-2012, 11:57 PM
On request a thread for the 2012 season. Please try and keep this Thread for fishing reports etc. for the season

jimbojump
04-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Dont care here...I hate LP...just saying...LOL Very soon it will be deluged with wakeboarders and the like anyway...lol

sawtooth
04-23-2012, 12:44 AM
The wakeboarders and pleasure boaters were in full force today. It was anything but a relaxing day out at the lake. Had to work hard for the four fat porkers (2 at 15", 1 at 16" and 1 at 16.5") and two 9.5"ers, which I kept because they got hooked in the eye and gills. Fish were all caught from 11-15 feet down. Fish were spread out all over the lake. If I got one, I would turn right around and go through the school again, because the bite would quit as soon as it started. Below is a picture of the four larger fish. The cutting boards are 14 inches and 16 inches long for a size reference.

MackayGuy
04-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Did about the same as Sawtooth, but on Saturday. The fish are chubby and pretty good size for this time of year. They seemed to hit any kind and color of lure, worm or corn, long line or DR. 10 - 13 feet on the riggers. Really shallow on the long line.

Old Woody
04-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Looks like things are picking up a bit at LP. Was there yesterday and did OK. Kept 5 kokes that were all between 15-16" and tossed back that many because they were only about 10". All were caught down by the dam using pop gear and wedding rings on the surface. Had a down-rigger at 20' with a dodger and piink squid but it didn't get a single hit. All in all a pretty good day for April except for the wake boarders in the afternoon.

PeteDin206
04-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Hopefully the fishing is going well up there... I'm curious if anyone has the current water temperature of the lake right now? I haven't been able to find a good resource for the information, but this forum seems to be pretty active.

To be transparent, I'm not planning on fishing at Lucky Peak, but will be participating in the Ironman event there in June.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Trollin-Fools
04-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Tuesday it was 47 on the surface according to my fish finder.

PeteDin206
04-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the info. While definitely not the number I was hoping to hear, we still have 44 days for the water to warm up a bit... (Even 55 would be nice)

Tika
04-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Friday.......9 to 3 PM on LP. Boated 2 kokes, one more in and out of the net a few times then gone. Pretty slow........caught a Golden trout. Never have seen such a fish before. Maybe 14".

Rafting4fun
04-28-2012, 01:17 AM
Tika, welcome again to the addiction. Where were you on LP and what did you catch your Koke's on? It's going to get better very soon.. This weather pattern is not so good right now, but welcome a brighter change... Jt

sawtooth
04-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Took my buddy out for a couple of hours this morning. We kept six nice kokes and released a few little guys as well. Fish were all near the surface, from top line to 9 feet down on downrigger. Real windy near the dam in the morning, had to leave lake for town at 11 am, right about the time the sun came out and the wind let up a little. Quite a few people watching the rooster tail down at the dam so give yourself some extra time when traveling from Boise to the Lake.

Tika
04-29-2012, 10:32 PM
We fished near the Dam......pink hoochies with shoepeg 15 ft down......also the nice Koke that got away hit a floating f7 rapala flat lining. [that surprised me at least].

Old Woody
04-30-2012, 01:29 PM
My wife and I were out on the lake again yesterday and caught quite a few kokes. Problem was, they were mostly in the ten inch range so we released most of them. It got to the point that we were arguing over who had to reel in the next fish. "You reel this one in... no, it's your turn". At one point we had a triple going. I guess I shouldn't complain, it was still a lot of fun. We ended up keeping 5 that were in the 15-16" range. We caught them at 20', 15', and at the surface with pop gear and wedding rings. Once again the pink hoochie wasn't producing.

salmonster
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Fished LP on Sunday. Caught over 20 kokes, but only 3 over 12", turned the rest loose. Failed to leave before the idiots overtook the boat ramp at Turner. They really need to pull that center dock out of there. Picture this:
Two idiots tied their boats to the dock, one on each side. Now the 5 or so vehicles on the ramp waiting and the vehicles in line to get on the ramp at the top cannot use either side. The idiots whose boats are tied to the dock go up and get their vehicles, and get in line to wait. The line cannot move because their boats have rendered both sides of the ramp unusable. It boggles the mind. Does anyone know who I could contact at the bureau of rec to request that the dock be removed?

metalheadgene
05-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I feel your pain SM. My fear is removing the center dock will not cure the water maggot issue. They believe it's all about them and have no common courtesy, common respect and common sense.

Kokanee Troller
05-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Fished Wed ...Graet Day!! Caught our limits in about 4hrs. Mostly around
the rock cliffs by the dam. 4 colors, used red & white Apex, Red huchies,
tipped with Fire Corn and Mealworm. Lots of small ones near the pillars,
but the larger ones were at the rocks cliffs by the dam. Lost a few, they
go nuts when they see the boat, the Apex only has a single hook, so they
spit it out near the boat..I'll have to re do them with double hooks. Only
a few more weeks left before all the idiots come out, between Dock Rage,
Speed boats, Cops and everything else, I'll proabally fish Arrowrock or
Anderson.

FiliIslander
05-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Finally got a chance to catch some koks today after chasing steelies all last month. Got my boat in the water around 11:30 and fished till 6. Got first hit within 5 minutes and released it. My buddy and I lost a total of 9 koks, released 11 small koks in the beginning, but decided to keep 10 of them towards the end of the day so I can smoke them whole. I caught my biggest kok to date and it measured 19'' and a fatty (see the pic). Took me about 10 min to get him in. Caught a 16'' kok (see the pic) to make number 12 to end the day. Orange and pink worked very well and I ran sling blades and hoochies/ R&K spinners all day. Happy fishing everyone.

SawtoothSUP
05-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Tuesday I caught 3 nice koke 16+'' and a 17'' rainbow. Plus about 15 kokes at the 11'' size. Lucky Peak is going off right now. On Friday I arrived at Turners boat launch just in time for the rain and 30mph winds. Watched 8 boats load up and leave. Took a nap in my truck. Woke about 3:30pm. Storm was tappering out. So I headed out. Had the whole lake to myself. Within 10 minutes I landed My first 17'' koke and within 2 hours had caught 16 kokes and managed to get 5 in the cooler. 1 jumped on to the board for me. another cleared the board and shook the hook mid air.

These fish can be so hard to judge size by the first bite. Many times the big guys hit like the dinkers then when I get them up close to the net they freak out! Diving, Jumping 3 ft in the air! I am trying to figure out how to ware them out while they are deep. But, it never fails to be a great show of power once they see the net.

kodiak1
05-05-2012, 04:59 PM
They just don't like boats, do they?! Mike

avid_outdoorsman
05-05-2012, 05:14 PM
FI,

Nice fish!!

sawtooth
05-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Picked up a limit of six this morning. I had my first four keepers in the first twenty minutes with two quick double hookups. It then took me four hours of wading through a bunch of next years fish before I landed my last keeper. I can't remember a year when I have caught this many of the small two year old fish this early in the year. Most were near the dam, near the surface to 15 feet down. Wind was quite strong for a good part of the morning.

Ken Jones
05-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Took my boat today to LP. and boated24 kokes one trout. First time out to LP this year. There was 4 of us fishing. Hoochies in Pink, Green, and orange. On downriggers and leaded line. I haven't seen this big of Kokes in years. 16" was the norm.101chromefish101

PeteDin206
05-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Sounds like the fishing is getting great. It's been about 2 weeks, so I figure there might have been a change in water temp. Hopefully for the better. Anyone seen a recent temp?

Obviously again I'm going to be swimming up there in about 4.5 weeks so I'm hoping we've cracked the 50 mark.

koko71
05-08-2012, 12:40 PM
It's still 47 degrees on the surface as of last saturday. They are still moving a lot of water out of the upper reservoirs which doesn't help warm the water. However, the forecast calls for temps in the upper 70 to low 80 degree mark by the weekend and snow melt is almost over and water flows should come back to normal soon. I hope this helps

PeteDin206
05-08-2012, 12:50 PM
It's still 47 degrees on the surface as of last saturday. They are still moving a lot of water out of the upper reservoirs which doesn't help warm the water. However, the forecast calls for temps in the upper 70 to low 80 degree mark by the weekend and snow melt is almost over and water flows should come back to normal soon. I hope this helps

Definitely helpful. While not the number I wanted to hear the higher temps and slowdown in snow melt should definitely help raise the temperature a on the surface.

Hopefully the fishing stays great for you guys over the coming weeks.

jimbojump
05-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Hit LP for a few hours yesterday...played around by the dam in a rodeo fest of BS and goofball drivers...caught mostly dinks like 6 inches...two nice ones later we kicked it for Spring Shores met up with a buddy...and it was on...got 5 more around 17" and called it good...Also...not sure what everyone else was getting for temps but I was marking 58 at the dam...it was a bit cooler at Spring shores but I believe the swimmers are at the dam right?

Kokanee.Fred
05-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Caught a limit yesterday at LP. They were all good size, between 14"-16" (see pic). Lost three as well. All but one were caught between 11-13 feet; one at 27 feet. Used yellow, orange and pink homemade wedding rings with matching dodgers/sling blades. Yellow/Orange combo seemed to work the best. The highest temp reading I saw for the day was 56 degrees, so pretty close to Jimbo's reading. I mainly fished across from Spring Shores.

Ken Jones
05-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Went with a friend in his boat we boated 9 through back 4 to small to keep. Lost 6. Not too bad of a day. Same stuff as monday when we brought home 4 limits. Hoochies with scented corn, yellow and shoepeg.

salmonster
05-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Picked up 12 nice big ones Friday and 12 again on Saturday. Having to work for them. About one of every three fish caught is keeper size. Of the 24 total, 10 were 20 inches (I thought) but when I actually measured them, they are just over 17 inches, the rest over 15 inches - really nice fish. Beautiful fillets- getting ready to fire up the smoker. Looking good for next year with all of the little guys we are catching.

Anything pink around 15 ft, we just keep switching out different things until we find something that works.

kodiak1
05-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Fished Monday for few hours. Basically, same report as Salmonster. Pink, 15 feet, then had to drop to 20 at about 11AM. Pulled out with another boat who did as well as us, but fished surface whole time. If you get into next year's generation, just move. When we did, it was all large fish. First area was all smalls. If you keep losing fish, it is the small guys. The biggies seem to rarely miss! Mike

FiliIslander
05-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Decided to give myself the day off today and went to LP with my friend Brazilkokkiller. Put in at spring shores (11:00 A.M.) and didn't go very far (200 yards) till we started trolling. Ran my favorite sling blades and home made hoocies on all 3 rods. Set one down rigger at 19' and second at 23'. Got the first hit within 5 minutes of trolling. It was a nice 16'' fatty. We landed 12 beautiful koks by 2:30 P.M. All were 16" and 2 were 17". I'm looking forward to go again next Tuesday. Good luck everyone.

PeteDin206
05-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Been a little over a week with some pretty solid temps over there. I'm hoping someone can provide me with some good news on water temperature. Please tell me it has cracked the 50 degree mark.

In the meantime best of luck with the fish...

sawtooth
05-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Last Saturday near dam it was ranging from 51 to 54 degrees surface temp. Temp was rising when we left the lake around noon. It should be climbing up even more with this warm weather.

PeteDin206
05-17-2012, 12:37 AM
That is great news... Thanks to everyone who has provided updates it is very appreciated by a bunch of us triathletes who will be competing this year.

kodiak1
05-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Fished LP today from 8 to 11. Picked up 8, inc. two rainbows. One rb was the smallest fish of the day, and the other, an 18 1/2"er, the largest. Biggest rb I have ever taken out of LP in recent years. All the kokes were the biggies. Depths that worked for us were 15 and 20. Mike

DowntownBrowns
05-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Fished yesterday from 1 til 4. Hooked 3, 2 little ones and a big one.

JTM
05-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Went out today caught 10 in 4.5 hours, Brought home this limit.
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww179/JTM_62/DSCF0496.jpg

Sluggo
05-19-2012, 08:45 PM
We fished Lucky Peak today and boated 10 nice Kokes. We lost about the same number and threw back about 8-10 that were too small. What worked best for us were Pink Hoochies with corn. Almost all the fish were caught around 13 feet.

spoons
05-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Hit it for a few hours yesterday. Caught 5 from 2:30 to 4pm @ 15-20ft.
pink/orange and green/yellow yielded about the same fish. White corn, cured corn and... Eric, you left your fire corn on the boat. That worked too.
Damn nice fish!

BigggCountry
05-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Launched out of Spring Shores at 630am started trolling towards the Arrow Rock dam. Started running 1oz sinkers 70 ft back and 3 colors of leadcore. Pink and clear hoochies with pink slings with the sinkers and orange hoochies with orange slings. As soon as we rounded the 1st bend we started running into the kokes. Largest was a 19". Average size was 15.5" We ended up landing 13. Lost around 10.

Pzak
05-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Also had luck with pink on Sunday. Fish any depth you want, they are scattered from the surface to about 35 feet from what I saw and caught.

FiliIslander
05-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Went out today with my 2 good fishing buddies. We launched at Spring Shores at 10:30 and started to troll one of my favorite spots. The wind kicked in about 15 minutes in and it was miserable. I would say it was blowing about 15-20 mph. I decided to head towards Arrowrock Dam. I never fished that area before and started fishing about a mile down from the dam. The wind wasn't as bad there. I started marking fish at 17'-25'. It didn't take long till we got first hit and netted a 17''. We fished long and hard and was able to get 3 limits. We kept 12- 16''-17'' and 6- 10'' koks. We threw back another 12- 8'' koks and lost 5 real nice ones. My home made hoochies and favorite sling blades did the job again. Had a weird thing happen though. On one of the 17'' koks I caught, my Jared Johnson rod snapped 3'' above where the 2 pieces connect as the fish hit. I was able to get him in the boat. Anyone know if these JJ's have some sort of warranty? Tight lines everyone.

Wild Child
05-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Nice fishawesomereport

kodiak1
05-23-2012, 08:27 AM
So that's where they were hiding on Monday. Been doing great until I took a friend who has been wanting to try for them, and of course I stunk up the place. Never thought to head up towards Arrowrock. That's fishing....always having to reinvent the approach!! Glad you guys found 'em. Mike

DowntownBrowns
05-23-2012, 08:23 PM
We trolled from the corner all the way to Arrowrock dam yesterday without one fish. Did catch two across from the ramp

SawtoothSUP
05-25-2012, 03:21 AM
Hey guys! I have had several people ask me about the weather at LP near the dam. Since I am a Kite boarder as well, I have a pretty good grip on how to predict the wind. LP is a very windy place at times when the rest of the valley is totally calm. Why? Thermal and pressure differences created by the dam coupled with the large drainage area of the high mountains and the hot desert is the perfect recipe for wind. Here is what you need to know if you want to show up and have calm wind, or just not be surprised.

Look for forecasted west winds in the 5-10 mph range over night in Boise and mountain Home. This stops the Thermal Flow from forming.

If it is forecasted to be calm over night in boise then expect 10-15mph winds blowing down the canyon and over the dam.

If it is forecasted to be hot with light-medium SE winds over night, then expect 15-25mph blowing down the canyon.

These winds start about 2am and usually shut down around 10am. Maybe as late 1pm in the fall.

This only applies near the dam, Spring shores is totally different.

Anybody else feeling like the Kokanee have been wiped out near the dam? after several rock star weeks, I have been getting skunked this week.

sawtooth
05-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Interesting information. I guess I will need to check the forcast next time I plan on fishing by the dam. Nice Name by the way. Great minds must think alike. I think this Sawtooth will stick to fishing from a boat.

Old Woody
05-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Fished the Spring Shores area yesterday with my uncle. The weather report must have scared everybody away because there was hardly anybody there. We saw maybe 5 other boats in the morning and by afternoon we had the place to ourselves. It was raining in the early morning but stopped about 10:00 and by noon the sun was coming out. Note to self: when it rains, go to Lucky Peak, you'll have the place to yourself.

The fishing was pretty darn good and if we hadn't been such inept fishermen we would have had two limits with no problem. We had at least 10 big fat fish right up to the boat only to have them come off. I've never had that much trouble netting a fish. We still ended up taking home 3 fish a piece that were in the 15-16 inch range.

The fish were spread out all around Spring Shores. A pretty good number were up the Arrowrock arm, some right off the boat ramps in the middle, and some just up the narrows towards the dam. They seemed to be between 15-25 feet and hitting pink squid.

Good luck and don't let the rain scare you away, the fishing is great and there are a lot of big fat fish in there.

kbunn
05-26-2012, 09:04 PM
It would be great to get some more info on water temps. Those crazy triathletes will be in town again in two weeks!

Thanks & Good Luck with the fishing!

BigggCountry
05-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Fished the first bend towards ArrowRock from Spring Shores again this morning. We caught 21. Man those LP fatties really like Orange slings and Orange hoochies. And the pink sling with a pink hoochie was good too

conservationist
05-29-2012, 09:47 PM
I want to thank Kodiak1 for his PM'd advice. Wife and I went to LP this morning and DID NOT get skunked. Hooked around 11 fish, five pretty small, lost a couple and boated 5 nice ones. We really appreciate the info on trolling speed and gear. The folks at Turner's Tackle were also great. Thanks for the recommendation.

We fished from Spring Shores up to next boat ramp on way to Arrowrock and only caught a two small ones. Back to Shores and things heated up mid lake in front of ramp. I had best luck with Orange Hoochie at about 10 feet until about noon. Then nothing for me but wife started picking them up with pink at about 15-20 feet. Left around 3 PM.

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Bob and Leah

JTM
05-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Planning on hitting L. P. on Friday, Went last Friday it was slow brought home 4 biggies. Caught allot of smaller ones could have had a limit even had a 12 in the live well for awhile after comparing them he went back. Lost a big one right at the boat I won't go int to details but DUH!!! Surface temp was 56.

signfishin

Old Woody
05-31-2012, 11:16 PM
Decided to go into work late today. Put in at Spring Shores about 7:30 and fished for about 3 hours out in front of the boat ramp. Took home 6 real nice fish, the largest went 17.5", the rest about 16". Most on pink squid around 20'.

Kinda surprised at the number of boats out this morning. Quite a few for a Thursday.

SawtoothSUP
06-01-2012, 02:42 AM
In the last 5 days I have fished LP 4 times. I have been all but skunked every day. I am pretty sure I know what I am doing since I have limited out 4 times this season and caught a total of 40+ 16'' kokanee and at least that many trout. Fished all over the Dam area, didnt catch anything. The only fish to be had were a lot of fresh stocked rainbow near turner boat ramp. Yesterday and today I fished Spring shores. Got one small koke close to the net and a dinker trout.
Then I got spooled!!!! WTF? I wasnt getting any hits at 25ft or 15ft so I put on a sling blade and pink hoochie with no weights. Had just hit the mouth of Mores creek canyon. When WHAM!!! Big hit, rod was maxed out, drag was screaming. So okay I let him take line for 4...5...6...15 seconds! and there was no signs of him slowing down. Im on a paddle board so this fish totally stopped me and turned me around. I had about 40 seconds with this guy. I reached for my paddle thinking Holy **** I have to chase a fish at Lucky Peak? But before I could manage that I realized I was running out of line. I feathered the drag tighter and tighter until I was down to a couple yards of line, and then I had to tighten it all the way down. SNAP! Fairly fresh 10lb line was a joke for this fish. I am not one for the ole fish story but this was so humbling. If you were one of the boats nearby at 11am today you may have heard some heated words bouncing off the canyon walls. I have caught 20 lb red fish, and 40'' baracuda on this same set up. I will tell you this fish kicked my ass. Has anybody ever caught a monster Bull trout, or steelhead size rainbow at LP? I know they stocked Lakers up there years ago, but have not heard of anybody hooking up in years.

If anybody catches a monster with a sling blade attached I would like it back please!

Today makes me think twice about running these ultra light Kokanee setups.

DowntownBrowns
06-01-2012, 11:20 AM
I watched a fellow land an 18 lb. Chinook salmon from the bank at LP back in the 90's. I know there are a few browns still lurking around in there and most definitely big bull trout.

kodiak1
06-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Could you have hooked onto someone's downrigger cable? Mike

Lunddude
06-01-2012, 02:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing Mike.

JTM
06-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Brought home 3 big ones worked hard for them, lost allot not the norm for me, they were short striking. Caught a load of smaller ones tossed them all back most were between 10 -12 inches. Lot's of boats on the water surface temp went all the way up to 64.fencing

Old Woody
06-02-2012, 12:09 AM
What a difference a day makes. Fished all morning and only had 3 fish on. 1 NPM and 2 kokes. It's like someone turned the fish switch off. I tried all the usual places around Spring Shores but kept coming up empty.

Was anybody catching fish today? If so, where the heck did they go?

101shock1101

hooked4life
06-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Had the same problem on Friday. A few some ones and only one 17 .

sawtooth
06-02-2012, 01:40 PM
What a difference a day makes. Fished all morning and only had 3 fish on. 1 NPM and 2 kokes. It's like someone turned the fish switch off. I tried all the usual places around Spring Shores but kept coming up empty.

Was anybody catching fish today? If so, where the heck did they go?

101shock1101

Old Woody,
With the water temp rising daily, did you try fishing deeper? Where you marking fish at the same depth or were they deeper?

skipm
06-02-2012, 01:46 PM
No joy here either. We were marking fish all over, but they had lockjaw. Something sure put them off.

BlueBack79
06-02-2012, 03:56 PM
agreed. we only boated two little guys by the dam, at 20' & 25'. started off this a.m. at spring shores. saw nobody catching fish, anywhere. marked a lot between 30'-35'.

sawtooth
06-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Last year about this time the same thing seemed to happen. I was catching fish regularly at 20 feet and then the weather heated up and the fish became few and far between. After about a week or two of hit and miss fishing, the limits returned but I was catching them in 40-50 feet of water. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what is happening now. Justs my 2cents.

Predator
06-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Started late today around 9:00. Spring Shores. Marked fish right away at about 20-23 feet. Pearl squid, maggots, rocky mountain small blades. 1.2 or so speed. Hooked and landed couple of limits. More small ones for some reason. All big ones were 16 on the money. It was all done by 11. Water temp is climbing.

JTM
06-03-2012, 08:36 PM
OK here are the pic's late because I went camping, 3 total big guy's threw back a ton of little guy's. These two are like twins one came at 20 and one at 15 go figure??? 1 is a solid 18 one is 17.5 and the not pictured was 16 on the money. The sink is 16 for referance....

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww179/JTM_62/DSCF0517.jpg

Old Woody
06-04-2012, 11:50 AM
So I saw Mr. Predator out there on Saturday slaying fish while I was basically out for a boat ride. Since you told me you were using pearl squid and maggots, my wife and I went into town on Saturday evening and stocked up on both. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to work on Sunday (at least not for me). After some thought, I realized there was one big difference between your boat and mine. You had a gal in a bikini netting your fish! I tried to talk my wife into the bikini thing but I guess she lacks the true dedication it takes to bring in the fish. :)

There was one lure that was working great for me Sunday. We put in at Spring Shores at about 7:00 and went out about 100 yards off the boat ramp. I put down my first line with pop gear and an orange wedding ring and within 30 seconds I had a 16" fish on. I didn't even have time to put another line in. We landed that fish and put the same setup back in. Bam! another fish on, this one about 11" so we tossed it back. This is really starting to look like a great day as I put the same lure back in the water and within 5 minutes I have another nice kokanee on. We get this one right up next to the boat and he heads straight to the downrigger cable, wraps up, snaps off the line and takes my lucky lure with him.

We spent the next 2 hours with absolutely no action. Tried eveything in the box but nuthin doing. We ended up fishing til 2:30 and hooked about 10 more fish of various sizes. We lost 2 nice ones at the boat and got 3 16" fish in the cooler. No consistancy on what they were hitting. We got them on an orange squid, blue wedding ring, red and green wedding ring, and a pale green wedding ring. All between 22-24 feet.

Allyn S
06-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Fished Sat. and scratched out a limit (although one was a dink that had one hook through the eye and the other in the gills). Fishing was slow and very few other boats seemed to be doing much.

Fish were caught on pink blades and hoochies. 2 at first light 20' deep and rest at 15'. Did get a nice 18" fish with the rest being the normal 16's or so except the afore mentioned dink.

SawtoothSUP
06-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah It was not a down rigger cable, although I think that would be pretty dam funny. No boats we that close. I have caught enough logfish, rockfish, and bushfish in my life to know the difference. This was a real Big ass fish. I am so bummed out that I couldn't hang on. I am also pretty sickened by the fact that one of the bigger fish in LP is dragging a lot of tackle. I posted the story to find out what people know about big fish in LP.

Predator
06-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Hey, the bikini gets it done every time. Nice wooden boat...kokanee with class. Went out Sunday too. Hooked a few nice fish off the Spring Shores docks early. Then dead. Landed trout, several pike minnows, and some small guys. Went towards Turner Gulch. Lots of boats mid res off cliffs. You guys do any good? Not much for me down at other end. Bikini made everything alright.

Old Woody
06-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Hey, as long as we're talking about women fishing.....

I have noticed that whenever I go fishing with my wife her rod always catches more fish. Drives me crazy. We're not talking just a little bit better, I'd say at least 80% of the fish we caught were on the rod she was baiting up. I talked to a friend who had heard that men have some chemical on their hands that the fish don't like. So I searched the web and found this article:

http://www.earthsports.com/m/news/view/Do-Women-Catch-More-Fish

This seems to confirm what I've seen personally.

Before I moved to Idaho about 3 years ago I did most of my fishing on coastal streams in Oregon. When we fish for salmon and steelhead we always wear nytrile gloves to keep the scent off the gear. Most of the guides there swear by this method. They also refuse to let anyone on their boat with a banana. They swear that salmonids hate the smell of bananas. At any rate, I think I'm going to try wearing gloves next time and see if it helps.

Anybody else out there tried wearing gloves while fishing for kokanee?

DowntownBrowns
06-05-2012, 03:33 PM
"They swear that salmonids hate the smell of bananas."
Hhahahahaha

BlueBack79
06-05-2012, 08:17 PM
you can try gloves, or, just put a bit of scent on your fingers PRIOR to rigging/baiting up.

sawtooth
06-06-2012, 12:23 AM
you can try gloves, or, just put a bit of scent on your fingers PRIOR to rigging/baiting up.

Or try to convince your wife that she should bait all the rods and you will just drive the boat and reel in the fish.laugh hyst I think you might be better off with blueback's recommendations.

jimbojump
06-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Hey now...thats serious business...NO BANANA'S IN THE BOAT EVEEEERRR! I will personally drop kick you out of the boat in the middle of the lake if I find a banana in your stuff...not funny...LOL

Old Woody
06-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Just in case you thought I made it up.....

http://www.azinet.com/captjim/bananas.htm

jimbojump
06-06-2012, 06:45 PM
LOL...awesome stuff man!

DowntownBrowns
06-07-2012, 08:34 AM
I'm heading to Arrowrock in about 30 minutes- and I stopped by Fred Meyer last night to get some bananas. Yes the bananas are joining us. Will let y'all know how we do.

Allyn S
06-07-2012, 10:08 AM
You are screwed. Your boat will be plagued all day by the squawfish horde. nananana

Have fun.

DowntownBrowns
06-08-2012, 11:03 AM
We did pretty good.

jimbojump
06-08-2012, 02:53 PM
way to take the fun out of the banana bashing DB... :'-(

DowntownBrowns
06-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Well to be honest I completely forgot the bananas

JTM
06-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Went out today, The fishing time is growing short wake boats out already. Anyhow brought home 3 big ones lost one big one at the boat, released 1 rainbow and 3 smaller Kokes. The wind kicked up and it rained for a short time but it sent the pleasure boats running for shore. :)

Allyn S
06-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Hit it at first light this morning with my son. Was slow all day. Ended up catching 7 nice ones and 3 rainbows. Was a tackle box day in that we tried about everthing in the box and nothing really stood out above anything else.

Last bite was at about 11:30 fished until about 1:00 without another nibble. Talked to a few other guys and it was the same for them. Only saw 2 other fish caught all morning by other boats.

Most of the fish I marked seemed a little deeper than last couple of weeks. Most of the fish I marked were in the 25'-50' range. Most the fish we caught were around 20' although we tried deeper without much luck.

Predator 2
06-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Anyone been to LP and done very well in the last few days? Thinking of going this coming weekend --

kodiak1
06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
First, let me welcome you to the site. In reg. to LP, I have heard all negative reports. Arrowrock might be a better alternative. Good luck. Mike

Aluma165
06-27-2012, 03:00 PM
I can add one more goose egg. Didn't even mark any fish in 2 hours near and around the pool to the nursery. Wound up eating the shoepeg... a bit salty with that carp spit.

nrut
06-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Howdy... new to the site.
Not "as" many boats last night, so we fished the damn to the point. Marked a coupled groups of fish but most were in the 48-54' range... didn't have any bites

Decided to hit the rim by the submerged island, and hooked 2 fish, neither one to the boat. Might have something to do with the "bathtub" effect from all the boats heading back to the ramp at sundown. Regardless, didn't mark very many fish there.

Kentchaken
06-29-2012, 12:48 PM
First post. Thanks to everybody for all the good info and helpful comments. I fished LP on Wed from 1300 hrs to 2130 hrs, from the dam to the nursery. First fish at 2000 hrs by the nursery. Boated 5 of 9 by 2130. Thursday morning, 0700hrs to 1100hrs, I boated 4 of 7 at the same location, nursery to Spring Shores pool. I had five colors of 18lb leaded line out, too lazy to set up the downriggers. I trolled green w/silver blade wedding ring with a small 2-tone chartreuse dodger on line 1 and a red w/silver blade wedding ring with a small white with large w/pinkish spots dodger on line 2, with shoepeg on both wedding rings. My trolling speed was between .8-1.2 mph. The fish ranged between 11-14 inches. I hope someone finds this info helpful. Good Luck :)

Aluma165
06-30-2012, 10:42 AM
First post. Thanks to everybody for all the good info and helpful comments. I fished LP on Wed from 1300 hrs to 2130 hrs, from the dam to the nursery. First fish at 2000 hrs by the nursery. Boated 5 of 9 by 2130. Thursday morning, 0700hrs to 1100hrs, I boated 4 of 7 at the same location, nursery to Spring Shores pool. I had five colors of 18lb leaded line out, too lazy to set up the downriggers. I trolled green w/silver blade wedding ring with a small 2-tone chartreuse dodger on line 1 and a red w/silver blade wedding ring with a small white with large w/pinkish spots dodger on line 2, with shoepeg on both wedding rings. My trolling speed was between .8-1.2 mph. The fish ranged between 11-14 inches. I hope someone finds this info helpful. Good Luck :)

Good post. Fishing for 7 hours before the first fish is seriously hardcore. Don't think I could hang with you that long. But, whatever works. Congrats! Keep posting with what is very helpful info. At least I know there are fish in LP!

Physion
07-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Back from Lucky Peak. I left home a bit before 8, caught the first fish at 9:15, and fish number 6 at about 11:20. One rod had 100 ft of 15 lb mono, a 2.5 ounce banana weight, a three bladed troll with silver blades and green reflector, and a pink rooster tail. That rig usually runs between 20 and 25 feet deep. The other rod had 100 ft of 15 lb mono, a 3 ounce banana weight, a three bladed troll with silver blades and silver reflector, and a spinner with a silver blade and red reflector. That rig usually runs between 25 and 30 feet deep. I fished the channel east of Spring Shores launch and got the fish before I reached the first bend. Three fish on each rig. Three at 13 inches, two at 12 inches, and one 10.5 inches. Not giants, but they eat well and I didn't have to fight the bumpy road to Arrowrock. The few boats and jet skis on the water were very courteous this morning. I also got one small rainbow that is still swimming in the pond.

bayhorse
07-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks for that detailed report! I have been fishing in a similar fashion with sling blades and hoochies or various spoons and wedding rings. with out much success.
I have used a gps to set my trolling speed.
Iwill try your weight length formula tomorrow after work.

Physion
07-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Got another limit today near Brown's Gulch. Took about 4 hours though. If I had done better with the net I would have been done in about 3 hours.

Pzak
07-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Brown's Gulch? Any size to them, I see that AR is kicking out some bigger fish. I have caught some 16 from the Peak but not as consistent as they seem to be up there yet.

Physion
07-08-2012, 10:33 PM
The fish on my recent trips have been about 12-13 inches with an occasional smaller fish. I've read the stories about the bigger ones on AR, but the rough road is a deterrent. I can have my line in the water in about an hour from home when I put in at Spring Shores. Being out and catching something is more important to me than the size. I also prefer to eat the smaller fish. All that said, I do enjoy catching bigger fish and am pondering biting the bullet and trekking up to AR. How crowded is the water up there? I've heard that it's almost as bad as LP.

Allyn S
07-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Arrowrock crowd info- Not as many fun boats (but they were still thick) but there were about 30-40 boats fishing both on the 4th and Sat. over the whole reservoir. Wed. 2/3 were fishing right our from the boat ramp, Sat. people were more spread out through the whole reservoir. Most folks are pretty easy to work with/around, but whenever you get that many boats working your gonna get a few winners. You know the ones that flunked driving school and have to run perpendicular to everyone else on the whole freaking reservoir and cut you off. By the end of the day on the 4th I had to leave the boat ramp area as I kept getting pushed off the line by folks.

The fun boat crowd doesn't seem to really show up in earnest until 1100-1200. Earlier in the year the boat lauch was an absolute zoo, now the water is down far enough that you can launch from the beach (which is what I have been doing) so the ramp appears better.

Hope this answers your question about Arrowrock traffic. If you get the chance I would go, the hassle has been worth it in my opinion for the bigger fish. They are in prime shape right now and fighting hard. Good times when you hook one.

Lunddude
07-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Is there any place to camp up there with a 5th wheel or is the road just to ugly?

Allyn S
07-09-2012, 12:54 AM
The road is a little rough but I think if you went slow you would be alright with the 5th wheel.

I have seen big 30'+ motorhomes up there. Just make sure you have everything strapped down good.

There are two areas that I think would work for a 5th wheel. The first is before the boat ramp about 1 mile up from the dam. There is a little cove that you can pull down into. It is fairly flat and every weekend there is a motorhome or 3 there. If you were going up there I would say during the week is the best as it seems it is taken by fri. afternoon usually.

There is another spot up the reservoir about 6-7 road miles past the damn. It is a nice big flat with a few trees and a bunch of pull offs. I imagine you could find a place there if you look around. I can't remember if there is a bathroom there, I think there is. No power or developed stuff though.

It will be a rough 6-7 miles if you go up there and be careful, lots of blind corners and not everyone drives like they should for that road. The stretch by the dam is also a tight fit. There are pull outs but you gotta really be looking ahead to make sure you can get over in that stretch.

You could look at google earth and probably figure out the spots I mentioned easy enough from that.

Kinda hijacking the LP thread, but that is what I can tell you about 5th weel camping at Arrowrock. Others probably know better. I just day trip it and launch from the beach as soon as I can get down to the water to get off that road as soon as I can. Hope this helps.

Lunddude
07-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Thank You awesomereport

Physion
07-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Limiting!! Just got back from getting my second limit this week on Lucky Peak. Most fish have been in the 12-14 inch range, but I got an 18 incher today. Remember when 16 to 18 was common? I wish...

VGM
07-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Good Job Physion, could you give me any info on location and what was working for you, I haven't been on Peak in a month. My Dad's in town and I'm taking him Friday, any info would be great. Thanks!

Physion
07-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Hi, VGM,

I sent you a personal note with some suggestions.

Physion
07-24-2012, 10:43 AM
I took my granddaughter to LP yesterday. Three fish in five hours. They either moved or had lockjaw. I didn't find the cooperative ones.

hooked4life
08-01-2012, 12:24 AM
I sense that not many guys are reporting the last week or two, so here is my report on Lucky Peak. My wife and I didn't get on the water today until 8am. We had 12 by 1:30pm. Around 11am until 1145 we caught about 7. Good Bite. Then the fish seemed to go deeper to around 30 feet. Four fish were between 17 and 18 inches, rest were around 14 to 15. All were going to spawn this year. Nine were males. Best lure was a red and white squid. Not many boats, however the guys we talked to were not getting the fish. Good Luck.

Physion
08-04-2012, 12:26 AM
I got my boat on the water about 9:30. Nothing until about 11:00, and then I was done by about 2:00. Five out of six were going to spawn this year. They were just starting to lose their scales. Once the scales are gone I prefer to let the fish do their thing. Although next year's spawners are smaller right now, I think the meat is better than what I get with this year's spawners after they lose their scales.

kodiak1
08-05-2012, 07:20 PM
My wife and I decided to take a short ride after Mass today, so we headed up to Lucky Peak. Wow, what a crowd. No parking available for trailers when we were there. Anyhow, talked to three fishing boats all pulling out about the same time. All had dr's and were fishing the right stuff. One boat had caught only three small trout and squaws, the other had three smaller kokes, and the third was blanked.....for the first time in three years. The boat with kokanee had fished from 9 to 1:30. Two of the boats bemoaned the poorer fishing at LP. The Fish and Game told me three or four years ago that they had figured out the perfect formula for planting kokanee. And, it sure seemed so. Limits most every trip, and big ones to boot. So, why have they changed the formula, with fewer fish being planted? I am sure it isn't low numbers of eggs retrieved. I would ask them, but they rarely answer emails. Mike

Predator 2
08-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Thinking of going to LP tomorrow -- any reports or suggestions?

Physion
08-10-2012, 02:48 PM
When I fished the first of the month, I started at Spring Shores and trolled towards the dam. When I got a hit or two I started doing circles in the area until the fish quit playing the game.

kodiak1
08-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Kali and I fished LP today, and it was slow until we figured it out, and then we limited rather quickly. Only three of the larger ones, with one 19, and two 17's. They were shallower than we thought they would be. 15, 19, and 21 were the magic numbers for us. Mike

Physion
08-11-2012, 03:30 PM
What is the condition of the fish? Losing scales? Changing color?

kodiak1
08-11-2012, 07:54 PM
The biggest one was not bright, but didn't show any signs of pink. The other two bigger ones were similar but somewhat brighter. The rest were bright as could be. Mike

kodiak1
08-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Tough fishing today. The trout seemed to want to play, but had a problem connecting with the kokes. And, wow, was the smoke thick up there. Last week's successful strategies weren't working. Mike

hoolee99
08-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Did anyone fish the peak or arrowrock today, thinking about going tomorrow looking to see where?

Physion
08-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Went to LP this morning. I got my limit between 9:30 and 12:30. They seemed to bite better when the smoke was thickest. The bite slowed as the smoke lifted. I put in at Spring Shores and went towards AR. The fish were all bright, between 12 and 13.5 inches, and appear to be next year's spawners. Is anyone else doing anything?

bayhorse
08-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the report! Hoping to get up this week. How deep were you finding them.

Physion
08-28-2012, 11:57 AM
The fish were in the 30 foot plus range. I saw some schools in the 35 to 40 foot range.

Physion
08-29-2012, 06:44 PM
I was able to go again today. I did well, but it took just a bit longer. I was playing with some sling dodgers. They didn't produce as well as my small three bladed trolls.

kodiak1
08-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Last year my Shasta Sling Blades outfished my pop gear every time....this year, just the opposite. We went up to fish the Middle Fork today, and noticed one boat on the way up to Arrowrock. It was a party style boat. Was that you, Physion? When we went by the main ramp at Spring Shores, at about 10:30, there was only one car/trailer in the lot. How often do you see that?!! Glad to hear you limited again. Mike

Physion
08-30-2012, 11:01 AM
The party boat launched just ahead of me. I have a 12 foot Valco with an 8 horse motor. There were very few boats on the water both times this week. I did enjoy the lack of company. I bought the sling blades from Kokanee Tackle last spring and just hadn't gotten around to trying them. With fish in the freezer, I decided to try something different. I have used the two scents they recommended. I haven't seen much difference between the two, and they seem to increase the hook up rate when the fish are a bit tentative.

kodiak1
08-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Yep, saw you out there. By the way, you should have seen the kokanee schools up the Middle Fork arm of Arrowrock. Huge schools working the surface. Doesn't mean they are easy to catch, but it was pretty amazing. Seemed like the whole area was covered by fish. And this was about 11:00. I was wondering if they were staging? I don't remember seeing or hearing about kokes running up the Middle Fork. Anyone out there that can shed some light on the subject. P.S.: Not a single boat on Arrowrock. Mike

Pzak
09-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Kodiak1, Not to highjack the thread, but what is launch like at AR now. High water ramp still in?

hooked4life
09-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Friday at peak was slow for me. two of us caught 3 fish. fished from 8 till 2. I thought I saw your boat physion, it appeared you might have got your limit?

kodiak1
09-02-2012, 07:12 PM
As quiet as this thread has been lately, who cares about hijacking!! The water was just at the bottom edge on Thursday, and it has been dropping at the rate of 2 1/2 feet a day. The low-water ramp was visible....about 5 feet of it....at that time. I would at least try the Middle Fork arm, from where all the trees are on the north side since there was tons of top-water activity. They seemed to be stacked in there. Good luck if you head up, and give us a report. Mike

Physion
09-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Yes, I got a limit on Friday. In about an hour an an half. When I got home my wife asked me what was wrong. I don't often see action that is that fast.

bayhorse
09-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Wow! I am heading up tomorrow am. And I still don't know where we should try.
Sounds like either lake will be ok.
Thanks for the reports.
Will let you know how we do.

Pzak
09-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Kodiak1, I went up to AR but didn't take the boat. Kids wanted to walk and explore the shoreline. I wanted to check out the launch. The low water launch looks to be in great shape. The normal ramp was out of the water by about 10-15 feet from the concrete to the waters edge. I will give fishing a try next weekend.

sawtooth
09-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Took a coworker up to LP after work yesturday. Weather was fantastic and only about ten boats on the whole lake. Fished from 5:30 to 8PM. Found the fish around 30 feet down. These are next years spawners so they were around 12-13 inches long. The rookie koke fisherman landed three but had several others to the boat before they came off. He had a hard time grasping the concept of tiring them out before bringing them near the boat. Hyperactive fish with soft mouths are not a good combination.laugh hyst Fortunately he got enough for a meal.

Physion
09-13-2012, 08:18 PM
I had a good day on LP today. 5 fish between 1:00 and 2:30. They were down in the 35-40 foot range.

Physion
09-18-2012, 02:16 AM
Fished LP on the 15th with my daughter-in-law and granddaughter. We got 6 kokanee and 2 rainbows. There was no pattern to the depth. We caught fish with no weight, 2 ounces, 3 ounces, and 3.5 ounces. Change a lure or change a weight, catch a fish. And then nothing. Change something again, and catch a fish. Little consistency in either the active depth or the lure they wanted. We saw fish on the surface and the locator claimed some were as deep as 50 or 60 feet. A pretty good day catching, considering, but I was certainly puzzled about what was going on. The water level dropping quickly certainly didn't help.

conservationist
09-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Fished Monday evening in the narrows from about 4:30 to 6 PM. Caught 3 in the 11-12 range. 2 caught at 30 feet, but saw fishing jumping and caught one on the top as we were letting a rig out. Pink was the only color they wanted. Two of us fishing -- 3 for the pink hoochie, 0 for the green or orange. Using a single 5 inch flasher in pink/silver on both rigs.

Physion
09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
I fished towards the dam end yesterday. Caught fish using 2 and 3 ounce weights. I also got hookups with a 3.5 ounce weight and with no weight, but didn't land them. Five kokanee that were 12 to 13 inches and one that was 17 inches.

bayhorse
09-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the report!

conservationist
09-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Fished up near dam on Friday early afternoon. Folks around us catching fish, we had a tough time. Fishing with single flasher at 15 to 30 feet with down riggers. Couldn't get a bite. Quit the downriggers and went with multi-flasher pop gear with wedding ring and caught two nice Rainbows and a Kokanee. Guess they weren't deep!

kok-head
10-07-2012, 11:23 PM
fished 10/7/12 from 8am - 1pm, started at spring shores and worked our way towards lucky peak dam, all fish caught within 1 mile of spring shores, hooked 10, landed 6, lost 2 good size koks and kept the following fish in photos and released one 12in rainbow, fished 0oz, 1oz, 2oz, and 3oz weights which kept our lures anywhere from 0 to 30ft and got hits at all depths including the largest kok which we lost on the squid we were running on the surface, lots of speed changes, early in the day fish wanted it around 1.3mph-1.7mph and then later on fish were hard to judge, all different speeds from 0.8mph-2mph, after around 11am fish would hit after a big increase or decrease in speed, lost 2 koks that we estimated went over 13in, 2.5in pink hand-tied squids running 8in behind any color/style dodger, ran pink squids all day with decent results, talked to 2 other boats around us that were catching only small rainbows and let them know what was working for us, pass it on that fish are still biting at lucky peak and they are delicious in that 58 degree water

kodiak1
10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Nice going kok-head, and also welcome to the site! Was beginning to wonder if anyone was still fishing up there. I'm assuming there is still a dock in at Springs Shore. Again nice looking fish. Mike

kok-head
10-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks, we were the first boat on that morning at spring shores and we only saw 4 or 5 other fishing boats the whole day, there was not a dock in the water at the ramp, I talked with someone at the Tackle Shack in Meridian, ID and he said with most of the irrigation water turned off down here in the valley the water will be climbing and real soon a dock should be back in the water

I have a feeling that any color/size/style combinations of hoochies and dodgers will work well up there right now so get up there while you can, had we fished a little harder and longer we would have easily come home with 7 or 8 nice size koks

Predator 2
10-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks, we were the first boat on that morning at spring shores and we only saw 4 or 5 other fishing boats the whole day, there was not a dock in the water at the ramp, I talked with someone at the Tackle Shack in Meridian, ID and he said with most of the irrigation water turned off down here in the valley the water will be climbing and real soon a dock should be back in the water

I have a feeling that any color/size/style combinations of hoochies and dodgers will work well up there right now so get up there while you can, had we fished a little harder and longer we would have easily come home with 7 or 8 nice size koks

Heard the rumor Tackle Shack was closing -- hope it is just a rumor and not fact. Would be a great loss to the fishing community.

Petty4life
10-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Heard the rumor Tackle Shack was closing -- hope it is just a rumor and not fact. Would be a great loss to the fishing community.

I'm pretty good friends with the owner Joe, last i heard he was keeping it open with a couple guys running it while he is working out of town. I sure hope he dont close it it will take away my reason for traveling 5hrs just to go to a tackle store LOL

Petty4life
10-11-2012, 04:48 PM

Well after readding his post i called Joe, and he comfomfermed that thestore is closed but his website kokaneetackle.com is still running. sounds like they are relocating the store to portland Oregon. where he has been working his regular job for the past few months making the trek back to boise every weekend, you its not rumor its fact.

sawtooth
10-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Well after readding his post i called Joe, and he comfomfermed that thestore is closed but his website kokaneetackle.com is still running. sounds like they are relocating the store to portland Oregon. where he has been working his regular job for the past few months making the trek back to boise every weekend, you its not rumor its fact.

Sad to hear that the Tackle Shack is closed. They will be missed.

conservationist
10-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Fished LP at Spring Shores Friday afternoon. Very slow. Wife caught two Kokes around 13-14 inches. Me 0! Fished with green flashers and wedding ring at 20 feet down on downrigger -- gear out at 30 feet back. I fished a single dodger blade (pink) with pink squid behind. Trolled right around 2 mph according to gps although with turns and such hits may have come at slower speeds. Fished back towards the dam. Fished from about 2 PM till 5:30 when the skier's and jet skis showed up. Hard to launch a very large boat without getting wet.

kok-head
10-14-2012, 07:12 PM
fished 10/14/12 from 8am to around 1pm, put in at spring shores and made a few circles out in front of the ramp in the deepest part of the lake and then fished along the first turn towards lucky peak dam, all fish caught within about 1.5 miles of spring shores, the water level is down lower, the waterline at spring shores is below the curve at the low water ramp, only saw about 6 other fishing boats in the area

there was a decent morning bite between 8:45am - 11am where we caught 6 of our 8 fish, released one 10in rainbow and kept the rest in the photos, fished with the same pink hand-tied hoochies 8in behind the dodgers with: no weight, 1oz, 2oz and 3oz weights and same dodgers of various colors and styles, also caught fish on a red-clear hoochie and an orange glow hoochie,fish showed no noticeable preference to any hoochie/dodger combination, the biggest fish (2 koks and 1 bow) were caught on our top-line (pink hoochie and green/sliver 4.25" vance's tackle dodger) and the others were anywhere from about 0-25ft

fish did show a preference for speed, they would hit between 1.0-1.7mph and as usual during an increase or decrease in speed, we didn't hook as many as last week but we landed all of the 8 we hooked, they were hitting hard today and they were definitely more bold than last week, the 2nd biggest rainbow took a hoochie (waiting to be lowered down) when it was about 3 feet from the boat while we were doing well over 2mph

got to meet bayhorse, he showed us his set-ups and we showed him ours, always fun to meet other enthusiasts, hope the rest of your day went well bayhorse

sorry for being so long-winded everyone but just want to put as much info as I can on here because you all caught a lot of fish this year and wanted to say thanks for posting your info

sawtooth
10-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Looks like a fun and productive day kokhead. I was thinking of heading out this afternoon, but decided to get some things cleaned up around the house instead. Hoping to get out there soon.

bayhorse
10-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the info today Kok-Head It saved my day! Ended up with 3 nice eaters. 2 were on a orange and silver dodger and pink hoochie at 20 ft. The other was on a small 3 blade gang troll and a pink wedding ring at the same depth. Hope to see you out again.

kok-head
10-15-2012, 04:54 PM
nice going bayhorse, my brother and I will hopefully be out again on 10/28/12 if I can get the time set aside, glad to hear you got food on the table

I've tried running different spinners/hoochies behind a bladed-troll w/no dodger and I've never had much luck, I know many times the spinner (w/no dodger in front) is enough but I can't seem to leave it in the water long enough to really give it a chance and I always go back to the hoochie/dodger set up

I ran this green spinner blade hoochie for a good 30min during the morning bite with no hits while the other 3 colors were doing well during the morning bite so go figure, I know the kokanee are hard to judge but I figured the spinner blade hoochie would've lured in at least one 6in hatchery rainbow...

bayhorse
10-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Took a day off work and started fishing about 8:15 after driving to spring shores and finding the ramp out of water. Despite it being very windy and cold we managed to boat 6 by 11:30 they were very agressive and we landed all we hooked. After noon it slowed some as the weather turned beautiful and it took until 4:30 to land the other 6 to make our limit. All were caght at 20-25 ft. on dodgers and glow orange squids.
Head up and enjoy while the weather and the bite are good. THANKS TO ALL FOR GREAT INFORMATION AND GOOD LUCK.

Physion
10-18-2012, 10:57 PM
I picked up a limit between 10:30 and 1:30. Cold and windy until about 11:30. The bite was pretty slow the last hour. Weather forecst doesn't look good for next week, so I think I'll try again tomorrow. That may be my last trip of the year.

kok-head
10-22-2012, 12:17 PM
does anyone know if there is still a concrete ramp in the water to launch anywhere on the lake?

sawtooth
10-22-2012, 03:34 PM
According to the Department of Interior Hydration website, Turner Gulch still has 43 feet of ramp underwater as of today.

conservationist
10-22-2012, 11:33 PM
We were at Turner Gulch on Friday, and if there is 43 feet more ramp, it sure must be covered in mud and sand. We decided not to launch and went home. Had no doubt I could put the boat in, but not so sure I would have enough traction in mud to get out. I tried "kicking" away silt to find concrete and gave up. I think I'd have a second vehicle just in case.

The ramp was clear right to the water line, so you have 4 wheel drive and don't have to back too far into the water/mud, you could probably launch a smaller boat. Especially if your trailer has a longer tongue.

kok-head
10-23-2012, 01:44 PM
thanks to sawtooth and conservationist for the info

kok-head
10-28-2012, 08:06 PM
fished 10/28/12 from 8am-2pm, turner gulch still looks decent and no issues getting the boat out but did use 4wd to keep from spinning in the sand and mud just below the waterline

didn't get our first hit until around 10am, we had 13 good hits and hooked 9 and only landed 3, 2 weeks ago we hooked 8 and landed them all so it was a bit frustrating

used the same sinkers and dodgers we always use with hits on pink, red/clear and glow orange 2.5" hoochies running from the surface down to about 15ft, fish were hitting at speeds of 1.0-1.7mph and the only thing they showed a real preference for was not staying on our sharp hooks

its gonna be a long winter but hoping to get out again on the first Sunday in April, tight lines to those of you still fishing

sawtooth
10-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Glad to hear you were able to get the boat out with the four wheel drive. I would like to get out one more time myself, but the upland birds keep calling me.

kok-head
11-08-2012, 08:55 AM
a buddy of mine fished for 2 hrs a few days ago and pulled out 3 fat 16" koks, normal speeds, red wedding ring spinner behind a dodger, he was fishing not far from spring shores towards lucky peak dam

bayhorse
11-08-2012, 02:25 PM
a buddy of mine fished for 2 hrs a few days ago and pulled out 3 fat 16" koks, normal speeds, red wedding ring spinner behind a dodger, he was fishing not far from spring shores towards lucky peak dam

Thanks for the report.
I work off warm springs and see boats headed up and I have been wondering whats been happening.
If the weather doesn't stop me I would like to try once more this fall.
By the way the big trout are on at strike. Good luck and thanks again.101chromefish

Physion
11-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Just returned from Lucky Peak. Fished near the dam and brought back a limit. Fish were caught around 30 feet deep using a troll and a spinner.

Rod Man
11-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Thx Physion for the update. I'm tempted to go up but the launch looked a bit dodgy. Wher'd u put in?

Physion
11-15-2012, 10:37 PM
I went again today and got 3 and a half. The little guy will need to wait a couple years. Windy and cooolllld.

I've been using the Turner Gulch ramp the last several times. I prefer Spring Shores but it's out of the water. I can launch almost anywhere there is trailer access because I only have an open 12 foot aluminum Valco. A good sized rig put in just after I did and didn't seem to have any problems.

bayhorse
11-24-2012, 12:06 AM
I went up to spring shores today. The dirt had been moved off the ramp and myself with a 13.5 aluminum as well as a good sized rig were able to launch. Fished from 10:00 to 2:00 landed 3 nice keepers. Pink sling blade and pink glow squid at 20 ft. Once I found them it happened fast and saved the day. I am going back tomorrow with my son will post results.

kok-head
11-24-2012, 12:41 PM
thanks for posting recently Physion and bayhorse, that's great that they're still biting, I've never fished lucky peak after November or before April but one of these years I'm going to and I'll see if I can catch fish every month for 12 months straight, anyone ever tried that before?

jimbojump
11-25-2012, 10:44 AM
thanks for posting recently Physion and bayhorse, that's great that they're still biting, I've never fished lucky peak after November or before April but one of these years I'm going to and I'll see if I can catch fish every month for 12 months straight, anyone ever tried that before?
I did it last year...there were a few times on AR that got a little sketchy...but we pretty much always got something from the effort...I remember my buddy and I had to crawl thru the ice fields with one driving and the other sitting up on the nose of the boat breaking ice with his boots to clear a path to open water but still awesome fun...Love Idaho for that...fishing year round is pretty sweet. Caught my first Bull trout in November last winter too...

kok-head
11-26-2012, 11:11 AM
I did it last year...there were a few times on AR that got a little sketchy...but we pretty much always got something from the effort...I remember my buddy and I had to crawl thru the ice fields with one driving and the other sitting up on the nose of the boat breaking ice with his boots to clear a path to open water but still awesome fun...Love Idaho for that...fishing year round is pretty sweet. Caught my first Bull trout in November last winter too...

that's good to hear, I'd love to hook into a big bull trout on lucky peak and tell it to leave the kokanee and rainbows alone and to eat only pikeminnows 101ok101

kok-head
12-18-2012, 11:15 PM
talked with my buddy the other day about fish biting well at lucky peak still, 2 people fishing and they each picked up a limit in less than 3 hrs, all koks were between 14" and 16" and caught on the surface before 12pm, typical speeds and typical gear, 2 rods running different color combos of hoochies/dodgers and the other rod running silver pop-gear and a pink wedding ring, lures tipped with shoepeg corn and placed onto the hooks with c-c-cc-cold fingers

my buddy says he is a real kokanee fisherman worthy12...but his wife also gets more angry with him than my wife gets with me laugh hyst

kodiak1
12-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Well, it sure sounds tempting, at least until you walk outside in the cold temps made colder by the 25 mph winds. If the wind ever lets up, I am tempted to head up there.......for no other reason than to prove that, like your friend, I am a real kokanee fisherman!!!!! Mike

kok-head
12-23-2012, 06:03 PM
the wind is definitely miserable up there right now, his boat was moving around 3mph just drifting with the wind, with most kickers on the side of the transom it does make for interesting trolling, I've decided winter kokanee fishing isn't for me this year