PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use this Johnson trolling plate ?

oldrider
04-16-2012, 09:51 AM
I've been looking for another trolling plate that isn't manually operated. I've looked at the Troll-a -matic, and then found this one by Johnson.
http://www.johnsonmarinesupply.com/trolling_plates.htm
Anyone on the forum ever used one, and if so, can you post a comment pro/con ?
Oldrider
Mtn. Home

kodiak1
04-16-2012, 10:04 AM
I've had two trol-a-matics, and really liked them. You lose a bit of control at lowest speed....this only causes a little extra maneuvering when sliding into a tight spot on a dock, but never caused problems on the open water. The great thing about the trol-a-matic is that you don't have to worry about its position once you install it. No dropping it, lifting it, etc. Looks like the same is true with the Johnson. Mike

Aluma165
04-16-2012, 02:36 PM
One option:
I use a "Pro Troll" spring-loaded plate. The plate is a composition material. Was about $75. Works perfectly on my Yamaha 60 4-stroke. No decrease in top-end speed. Easy install with a template for drilling mounting screw holes. No cords or adjustments; all automatic. Just flips up as you accelerate. It dropped my forward idle speed from about 2.0 mph to .5 mph so now I throttle up to koke speed ranges. I've had it for 7 years since the boat and motor was new w/no issues.

oldrider
04-17-2012, 09:43 AM
One option:
I use a "Pro Troll" spring-loaded plate. The plate is a composition material. Was about $75. Works perfectly on my Yamaha 60 4-stroke. No decrease in top-end speed. Easy install with a template for drilling mounting screw holes. No cords or adjustments; all automatic. Just flips up as you accelerate. It dropped my forward idle speed from about 2.0 mph to .5 mph so now I throttle up to koke speed ranges. I've had it for 7 years since the boat and motor was new w/no issues.

Sounds much like the troll-a-matic plate. I did a extensive search and couldn't come up with a Pro Troll plate. Just lots of lures :-) Maybe you have a link to their web site that I could use ?

Aluma165
04-17-2012, 12:40 PM
The troll-a-matic looks like the same exact plate as mine. Maybe they've changed the name or I just have the name wrong. As Kodiak says, it does work as advertised. I don't notice any issue at low speeds in maneuverablity but he may be right about that. I would definitely recommend it!

kodiak1
04-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Nauticus makes a "pro-troller", but its plate is shiny aluminum, with a shock-absorber looking device attached to it, instead of springs. Mike

Wormanizer
06-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey Oldrider. I have one for sale and it works great. You do not have to worry about forgetting to pull a cord or do anything to bring up the plate. Easy to install. I used it once . My boat is catching fish without a plate. 25 hp. Yahmaha on a 14 ft. boat. How big is your Motor ? Lets make a deal

Wormanizer

oldrider
06-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Hey Oldrider. I have one for sale and it works great. You do not have to worry about forgetting to pull a cord or do anything to bring up the plate. Easy to install. I used it once . My boat is catching fish without a plate. 25 hp. Yahmaha on a 14 ft. boat. How big is your Motor ? Lets make a deal

Wormanizer

I have a 17' bass style boat, but don't actually fish just for bass.:-) It has a 55hp Johnson on it. The trolling plate I use works fine to slow me down to about 1mph if I want to go that slow. But using it is a real pain ! To engage it or disengage it is a real hassle. What are you looking for $$ ? Shipping cost to Mtn. Home Idaho zip 83647 ??

Wormanizer
06-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Half price is about fifty bucks. If you come this way to fish LP or Arrowrock it won.t cost a thing to ship. I could meet you some where. I might go your way and fish the Ranch one more time. email me and I will give you my cell #

Backatcha Geoffrey