PDA

View Full Version : vehical rust prevention

SilverBullets
04-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Not sure how many of you know about this (i didn't until today.) Underneth the windshield of my truck is a cowling (where the wipers are) that permits water, dirt. and leafs to get into a body panel. This material ends up at the bottom of the fender area right infront of the driver and passenger front doors. If you open the door and look below where the bottom door hinge goes into the door frame you might see a piece of rubber. If so this rubber is removable to gain access into the fender to vacume out the debris. While in there spray some rust preventive spray (i use Fluid Film) to help keep rust from forming. I just thought i'd pass this along for what it's worth...i've seen vehicals rusted out in that area and never knew there was a way to prevent it.

edit: Thought as long as i mentioned the windshield cowling theres another thing worth looking into on the passenger side. Alot of the newer vehicals have a cabin air filter that needs to be changed via dropping the glove box. Dirt and leafs can get to it from below the windshield cowling (i've even read of small animals getting in there and dieing.) On my truck there's a box where the air gets drawn into the filter that you can add some wire mesh to prevent any issues...see picture.

SuperD
04-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Are today's vehicles any better protected from rust than cars from previous generations? When I move to Utah in a couple of years I'm really worried about salted roads and rust. I'd like my whole car covered in undercoating.

SilverBullets
04-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Are today's vehicles any better protected from rust than cars from previous generations? When I move to Utah in a couple of years I'm really worried about salted roads and rust. I'd like my whole car covered in undercoating.

It depends on the manufacturer and their suppliers but generally speaking i'd say todays vehicals are worse. Toyota had a buy back program to deal with trucks rusting out so bad they looked like they had been sitting out in a field for 50 years...and they were only 10 years old! Now they're doing a frame replacment when you fail the rust test (if they can punch a hole through your frame with a hammer you failed the test.) Luckly mine (07 Tacoma) doesn't have a speck of rust...it's dry here and they use lava rock instead of salt in the winter. Check out a product called fluid film...found at most john deere dealerships. The problem with the thick rubberized undercoating is when it gets chipped/cracked it allows moister in...rust forms and you'll never even see it. The Fluid Film never drys out and is clear...you can still see and access every bolt that it gets sprayed on.

Bduck
04-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Rust is a constant battle here in Utah. I had one vehicle under coated but did make any difference. SB is right about undercoating chipping and allowing moisture in. Utah has an endless supply of salt for the roads and once the salt penetrates to the metal, its a matter of time your vehicle is looking its unnecessary age.