PDA

View Full Version : Locating Kokanee?????????????????

Idaho Aaron
04-02-2012, 12:09 AM
I am knew to the forum but have been following it for a few weeks. I am also new to Kokanee fishing but a good student. I am a trout fisherman mostly which leads to me question. Today I was at Arrow Rock and I know the kokanee should be at a depth of 20-40 feet. I was picking up fish however we nor the boats around us caught anything. My fish finder is a simple one. Any tips out there on how to know if you are in the Kokanee or trout?

kodiak1
04-02-2012, 12:44 AM
At times kokanee are schooled up; more likely than trout. However, bottom line.....it is a guessing game. At Lucky Peak and Arrowrock, ignore the blips down in the 50' range. Often they are north. p. minnows. Typically not kokes. Start shallower in the morning and slowly drop down in the late morning and afternoon, if fishing in the summer. If you are catching more of one species than another, it might likely be due to bait. Shoepeg can't be beat for kokes, but trout aren't as fond of it. Opposite with night crawlers. Good luck. Mike

Idaho Aaron
04-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. The bit about pike minnows is definately helpful. I've been to arrowrock three times and have always wondered what was down there. I'm thinking I was in them just not catching them. I will keep at it.

jimbojump
04-03-2012, 08:51 AM
you may well be in them after all...last several trips we got nothing...fish marking everywhere...I think the amount of water coming in and going out has something to do with it...also water clarity is craptastic...add to that the wierd up and down weather lately and its a bust...

Ken Jones
04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
The weather I think has a lot to do with it. The Barometer has been going crazy fluctuation up and down. Been locating a lot of fish at CJ but the fish have lock jaws. Thats the way with the Kokes, keep after them it will pay off in the long run. I haven't been after Kokes yet this year because I have other prioritys. Going after Steelies the 8th. After that then Crappie and Kokes, and maybe a Sturgeon trip thrown in.