PDA

View Full Version : Bridging the Gap

Trophy Taker
06-05-2008, 01:37 AM
It’s great to have a site dedicated to “Greenbacks” and many of us inevitably will be associated with or partial to different manufacturers, companies, etc... Perhaps on this site we can bridge some of these fictitious and petty gaps and come together collectively as a group to do more than just “talk fish”. It seems to me in personally knowing many of the Kokanee Anglers that will undoubtedly be moving over to this site we really ought to put our heads together and pool or resources and try to do more to enhance the Kokanee fisheries in this state. What are your thoughts?

Petty4life
06-05-2008, 01:41 AM
I second that Tom...:cool:

KokaneeReaper77
06-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Hey I am all for being more pro active in Utah for koke's and i could care less what the next guy uses or who he is loyal to I think every lure has its time and place> What I really wish for in Utah is more lakes with koke's in it we have basically 4 lakes and thats not enough!!! To many lakes out there with great potential for Koke's wish there was a way we could work with the dwr on it.

Trophy Taker
06-05-2008, 02:07 AM
The habitat is there but the state just doesn't have the $$$$ as they have dumped thousands into the Cutthroat an Tigers... In speaking with several biologists you also run into the life cycle problem, basically with the short life cycle of the kokes they view any new introductions as a risky proposition in the event the habitat flops and kokes don't have a successful spawn. However, that being said groups like Kokanee Power seem to have the clout and $$ to get officials politicians to listen. Perhaps its time to start a branch out here?

KokaneeReaper77
06-05-2008, 02:44 AM
I think your are right kokanee power has done some great things for other states and would be a big help here in utah if they could get a following. Its true koke's can have a boom or bust cycle but with some smart planting locations and managment it would not be any worse then other species of fish. Kokanee seam to always benifit the lakes they call home, They definitly have drawing power for anglers witch inturn brings more money and they serve as a huge forage base for many diferent fish not just lakers. Just look at Lake Pend Oreille or Coeur d'Alene in Idaho or Kootenay Lake in BC the rainbows there thrive on kokes and grow to mamoth size of course they are Gerrard (Kamploops) rainbow's. I would like to see them considerd as a bait fish and sport fish thats win win in my book I think hyrum reservoir would be an excelent place to start along with rockport.

Trophy Taker
06-05-2008, 02:56 AM
Here is an interesting article from the DWR website read through this and tell me if anything jumps out at ya.

wildlife.utah.gov/publications/pdf/newkokan.pdf

I think you may have to cut/paste it into your browser

KokaneeReaper77
06-05-2008, 03:15 AM
I wonder what lakes they are looking at for planting kokes? I didn't know koke's where planted in Bear Lake I wonder what happend

TheFireman
06-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Great idea. Even though some of us are affiliated with different companies, I would hope that we all have the same basic goals. To me maintaining current fisheries, expanding new ones and promoting kokanee fishing to new people would benefit everyone involved. Just my thoughts.

Kokehead
06-05-2008, 01:36 PM
I totally agree with that, it shouldn't matter what tackle you use or what company you may represent, we should focus on what we all have in common..... KOKES. I'm all for the conservation and expanding the waters that the kokes could do great in. We need to get kokanee power in the state of Utah. I would be willing to volunteer for the program or any other programs that are dedicated to kokanee salmon.

Petty4life
06-05-2008, 01:44 PM
I to would volonteer for a program like kokanee power. I was hoping something like that would come from creating this site, to get us kokanee angler to band togeather for the greater good.

Trophy Taker
06-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Absolutely Wally whether those be in Utah or Wyoming as both states have limited bodies of water with good koke populations.

Kokehead
06-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Well lets get active and lets do it. Even if K.P. doesn't expand, we should start a Utah based koke organization. This forum is definatily a great thing for Utah kokes.

Propnut69
06-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Lots of good ideas fellas.I for one have been very impressed with Kokanne Power and with what they have done in Cali and Oregon. I do feel blessed for having the gorge right out my back door. Also it seems to me,that Wyo is a lot more progressive with their koke program,then Utah is.But we as a group that have a passion for kokanne fishing have to put and keep pressure on both states to keep kokanne at the top of the list ,when it comes to handing out monies for fish programs.

SockeyeSlayer
06-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I will be in conversation with the director's of the Kokanee Power Board this week and I will also make a point to call Gary Coe (President of Kokanee Power) who is a friend of mine and see what we need to do to start a "Utah/Wyoming" Chapter!! As for what has been said about Bridging the Gap I think that is LONG over-due and I know we CAN do great things together.
Jared Johnson/SockeyeSlayer

Petty4life
06-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Great to have you on board Jared. I think this site will do great things in the Kokanee world.

KokaneeReaper77
06-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Hey right on Jared that's cool I sent them an email last night to see what we are looking at for a branch in Utah I am glad your acually friends with the kokaneepower pres. that should make things alot smoother for us.