PDA

View Full Version : Brownlee Res.. Cat fishin??

tirby
03-26-2012, 02:32 PM
ok my husband would like to try catfishin next. we heard Brownlee was best in Idaho. is it true? and WHEN is a good time to go I have heard May June and August. Does anyone actually KNOW?

Ken Jones
03-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Any time now I think would be okay. A friend of mine has been catching quit a few around the Brunau Bridge in the snake. He's been using night crawlers and cut bait. Now, the last time I was at Brownlee after Catfish they were sickly looking so I never kept any. They looked sick. I won't fish brownlee again for catfish. Sorry thats just me. Maybe this year they might look okay but I'm not going to fish for them my self.

tirby
03-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Any time now I think would be okay. A friend of mine has been catching quit a few around the Brunau Bridge in the snake. He's been using night crawlers and cut bait. Now, the last time I was at Brownlee after Catfish they were sickly looking so I never kept any. They looked sick. I won't fish brownlee again for catfish. Sorry thats just me. Maybe this year they might look okay but I'm not going to fish for them my self.

Good to know. So where would you suggest? And anyone else been fishing there and know if the fish look healthy now? I would love to also know what campground would be good. I really don't want to travel to far. As we are hoping for weekend trips that allow fishing time and not just driving time. Or a place SAFE to sleep in the truck cap (canopy) overnight by a good fishing spot. We have a boat so if its not boat friendly I need to know before towing it all the way only to realize we are bank fishing. Just a 16ft. With an outboard...so no where a jet boat is needed please...

Ken Jones
03-27-2012, 11:54 AM
YOU HAVE STACK PARK OUT OF WEISER. THE OTHER IS OUT OF hUNNINGTON OREGON. BOTH PLACES ARE GOOD PLACES TO LAUNCH. ANY WHERE BE LOW RAILROAD BRIDGE WOULD BE GOOD FOR CATFISH AND CRAPPIE. YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH YOUR SIXTEEN FOOTER. UP RIVER ABOUT 15MILES IS WHERE I RAN INTO THE CATFISH THAT LOOKED SICK. IF FISH THAT YOU CATCH, YOU WILL CATCH FISH LOOK SICK THROUGH THEM ON BANK AND LET THE CRITTERS EAT THEM. CRAPPIE SHOULD BE KNOW PROBLEM. I LIKE USING CUT BAIT FOR CATS. SO MY FIRST CRAPPIE I US FOR BAIT. GOOD LUCK. kEN

Note: above launches there on the Oregon side is a Grave Yard people fish for Crappie there.

rainORsnow1
03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
I have fish brownlee reservoir my whole life and can tell you that the best time to go is in july in august when the weather is hot. Catfish are not real active in cold water seasons that is probably why is the fish looks sickly.Bring lots of sunscreen though because the sun is intense. I agree with the previous post that cut bait and crappie is the way to go. Anywhere around railroad bridge is great including up river if I was you I would start on the bank throw two rods out tupac with cutbait and 2 off the sides with bobber and worm we nailed them last year that way.

rainORsnow1
03-28-2012, 01:30 PM
If you find any crappy let me know because the fish and was really bad last year for them

rainORsnow1
03-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Also tried the john day past the narrows also great fishing. Hope that helps!

tirby
04-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Also tried the john day past the narrows also great fishing. Hope that helps!

It does help thanks. My husband also wanted to know where the tackle shops are around the brownlee ..We are thinking of fishing the upper part by the dam. so cambridge up to the dam..Any ideas on tackle shops?

kodiak1
04-22-2012, 10:35 PM
You really should go over to the sister site of this one....BigFishTackle, and go to the Idaho general discussion. EZOP, a regular of that site, probably knows more about Brownlee than most anyone. Mike