PDA

View Full Version : Spring shake down

smokepoles
03-24-2012, 08:56 PM
No matter how much attention you pay to putting the boat up for the winter, it takes an outing to get everything back in place.

Anyway, took the boat our for the first time this year at the local reservoir (Hyrum). Everything went surprisingly well, and even got 8 or 9 rainbows for the grandsons. With the new prop and full load of family, boat was doing 33-35 mph (gps), and cruising nicely at 30. Kicker started and ran well, electric let us troll quiet and nice. Gorge, here I come (after getting a few Willard walleyes)!

Kind of disappointed with the new Utah regs that I can't get non-ethanol gas anymore. Since I burned most of the last 100% gas I had in the tank from last fall, what are your recommendations for additive (or not) to my next fill ups? I have an older (1990) evinrude 90hp vro.

Full_Monte
03-25-2012, 09:41 AM
You have a few products to choose from. Some guys are using Sea Foam, . Good for cleaning carbs, fuel system. Others are using Stabil, which comes in an auto and a marine version. This is good for keeping your gas usable in storage. There are a lot of additives you can use. I'm sure others will chime in.

SuperD
03-25-2012, 10:31 AM
The 2 primary ethanol stabilizers are Sta-Bil Marine and Startron. I also run a system cleaner, Yamaha Ring Free.

Bduck
03-25-2012, 10:59 AM
For the past 5yrs I have been using Lucas Oil gas treatment. I haven't seen any issues arise from using this product. Its found on the shelves at most auto parts stores along with Stabil.