PDA

View Full Version : Inflateable Boats

lkniz
03-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Anyone else on this forum use an inflateable boat?
I have a Sea Eagle Fold Cat 375 I am wondering about skegs to help in tracking at trolling speeds. I have been out with it once and it drifts all over at slow speeds .I am using a 4 horse gas motor and just got a drift sock to slow it down . I was trolling about 2 mph and that seems high for Koke's from what I have read here. By the way, great site and I appreciate all of the information I have read on your posts.

SilverBullets
03-19-2012, 07:07 PM
I use a inflateable pontoon once in a while but enjoy fishing out of a regular boat better (alot less work.) I've thought about some sort of rudder also. Mine's rigged up with just a elec trolling motor, fishfinder, a couple rod holders, and a combination downrigger/anchor system. When targeting kokanee alot of times I either anchor up and jig or drift jig with the breeze and troll back with motor.

skookum9
03-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Yes, I enjoy fishing from my inflatable. I have a 12' Avenger from North Fork Outdoors. Your sea anchor will do wonders for your trolling speed and control in the wind. I use two of them for my craft and it works out perfect. As to using a skeg, this would help you a lot if it were placed right. You will want it to be as far from your motor as you can get it. This will allow you to use your motor for the back end of the boat and your skeg for the front end. What you are seeking is essentially two anchor points as far apart as is possible. So in other words, if you had two skegs, you would want one on the bow and one on the stern. I am no expert but this is what I have learned from experience. My father built a large skeg for his Skookum Steelheader and it didn't do any more for him than if he had used two small ones.