PDA

View Full Version : question on canning kokes

SilverBullets
03-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Never canned before but would like to try it this year. I've read in the past that useing a pressure cooker on a ceramic stove top it not a good idea (something about the weight.) Would it be possible to do this outside on a propane stove...anyone tried it? Also, what type of pressure cooker and bottle size should I be looking at? Thanks ahead for any advice or links you could share.

Kokanee-Toni
03-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Never canned before but would like to try it this year. I've read in the past that useing a pressure cooker on a ceramic stove top it not a good idea (something about the weight.) Would it be possible to do this outside on a propane stove...anyone tried it? Also, what type of pressure cooker and bottle size should I be looking at? Thanks ahead for any advice or links you could share.

I did mine this last year on a ceramic top stove. Nothing cracked. Maybe that was when they first came out in the 80's?
All directions I found said use pints. So that is what I did.
I borrowed my neighbors old pressure cooker with the rocker top.
The only thing I am going to do different is to put a little more seasoning it the jars.

SilverBullets
03-14-2012, 10:32 PM
I did mine this last year on a ceramic top stove. Nothing cracked. Maybe that was when they first came out in the 80's?
All directions I found said use pints. So that is what I did.
I borrowed my neighbors old pressure cooker with the rocker top.
The only thing I am going to do different is to put a little more seasoning it the jars.

As far as the ceramic stove top warning I was going by what they say on the All American pressure cooker site. I found another site (Presto) that says theirs can be used on smooth top stoves. I think I'll go that route...still contemplating about doing it though. Do you brine and smoke before the canning process?

Tater Salad
03-14-2012, 11:31 PM
I put Koke's and a pinch of salt in the jar, and NOTHING else!
I use half pints because it is less likely to get wasted.
The use of an outdoor stove would be fine. Just keep in mind that the temp. needs to be pretty constant. So protect it from the wind.
Can as much as you can, because all of your friends will be sneeking jars to take home!

Kokanee-Toni
03-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Do you brine and smoke before the canning process?

No I haven't done that yet.

I started later in the season and did kokanee and pinks that were filleted (with skins)and frozen. I thawed them out, put them in pint jars, cooking them for 110 minutes at ? I think it was 10 pounds ? of pressure. I only put 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of salt per jar.
I did one batch of kokanee with the bones in. I came home (cleaned) chopped them up and put them in jars. I didn't like the flavor until I put more salt and pepper on them. Some put vinegar in it to dissolve the bones but they were already mushy.
The only change I will make is to try more and different seasoning.
As for 1/2 pints or pints, I never had any wastage with the pints.

onlychild
03-15-2012, 08:30 AM
SILVER BULLETS-I have been canning kokes for years I dont have a ceramic top but I do have a killer receipe.
with filets skinned cut into cubes
take a plastic cup that fits into your jar and smash as much meat into the jar that you canleaving about 1/2" from the top now add
thin slice fresh onion
1/2teaspoon fresh garlic( I buy the crushed in the jar)
3 slices of canned jalapeno peppers
good shake of JONNYS SEASON SALT
good shake of HOT SHOT pepper (dried pepper blend)
now this is important V-8 hot & spicy you can use the regular V-8 but the hot adds a little extra flavor but it is the acid in the tomato that keeps the bacteria from growing and allows you to store it in the pantry about 1
1/2 tablespoon per pint
cook at 15llbs for 1hr 45min I have two large canners and stack and can do 16 pints per batch per cooker just put enough water in to cover 1st layer and 1/2 of second also if you have hard water like we do were I live add 1/2 cup of vinegar to you water and your jars come out nice and clean instead of all foggy this receipe sounds hot but it is not and is what we use for our samon patties and tuna fish sandwich (kokafish if you perfer) I also do 1/2 pints of the same receipe except I add 1/3 teaspoon habaneros and 1 tablespoon v-8 for the cracker dip to go with your favorite barly pop

SuperD
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
I use a recipe close to only child's but I do brine and 1/2 smoke mine just long enough to be able to pull meat off the skeleton. There are a few bones but they disolve in the canning process under pressure. Toni has it right with around 100 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure.

SB, what size pressure cooker are you looking at getting? In my mind, the size would be have an impact on the smooth surface cook top. I use a 30 qt. and wouldn't feel good about putting it on a ceramic top.

SilverBullets
03-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the information and recipe's everybody! I'm leaning towards this one... http://www.gopresto.com/products/products.php?stock=01781 They say in that video it's ok to use on a smooth top stove. I just noticed they warn against useing them outside on propane stoves or turkey fryer's...good to know. Anyone useing this Presto brand? From what I gather the "All American" brand is one of the best but pretty pricey... http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamericanpressurecanner.htm

SuperD
03-15-2012, 01:53 PM
The Presto is exactly like mine and works great!

SuperDaveMT
03-15-2012, 06:40 PM
My experience is that the canning process intensifies the smoky flavor, so start with a light smoke and increase the time to taste with experience.

SuperD
03-16-2012, 10:39 AM
For canning, I recommend smoking full bodies. No matter how good of a filleter you are, meat gets wasted. Smoking full bodies to a 1/2 poached level will allow one to pull every morsel of meat off the bones. The skin slides right off as well.

DLM
03-16-2012, 12:36 PM
I just noticed they warn against useing them outside on propane stoves or turkey fryer's...good to know.

I wonder why the caution about a propane stove. Maybe they are refering to the smaller models that may not support the heavy canner. I would think the larger heavy duty propane burners would be no different than an indoor gas range, as long as you blocked as much wind as possible. There is a guy that sets up camp at Odell each year for a couple months, and he cans each day outside on a propane burner.

SilverBullets
03-16-2012, 01:09 PM
For canning, I recommend smoking full bodies. No matter how good of a filleter you are, meat gets wasted. Smoking full bodies to a 1/2 poached level will allow one to pull every morsel of meat off the bones. The skin slides right off as well.

You still can your fish complete with bones and skin correct?

SuperD
03-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Correct, Gary, but I think it looks nasty done that way. When the fish come out of the smoker I strip the skin and meat off the carcass into a large bowl, discarding the skin and skeleton. Canning becomes a real production line operation. I add the seasoning to all my jars. Then I start stuffing with the fish while my wife wipes jar rims and puts on lids.

SilverBullets
03-16-2012, 02:07 PM
I wonder why the caution about a propane stove. Maybe they are refering to the smaller models that may not support the heavy canner. I would think the larger heavy duty propane burners would be no different than an indoor gas range, as long as you blocked as much wind as possible. There is a guy that sets up camp at Odell each year for a couple months, and he cans each day outside on a propane burner.

Good point. I just contacted them about it and they say as long as the propane stove is just under 12,000 btu's it will work. Anything over will damage the canner and too low of btu's will not produce enough heat.

SuperD
03-16-2012, 03:14 PM
And turkey fryers are usually well over 12,000 btu's. It is the legal department protecting their backside for the stupid people out there.

DLM
03-16-2012, 04:44 PM
legal department protecting their backside for the stupid people out there.

You mean those people who do now know how to turn the knob and adjust the flame? laugh hyst

SilverBullets
03-16-2012, 10:09 PM
interesting read...
http://www.pickyourown.org/cannings4glasstop.htm

SuperD
03-17-2012, 10:40 AM
interesting read...
http://www.pickyourown.org/cannings4glasstop.htm

Anyone that wants to try making jam, I highly recommend that site for step by step. Click on the fruit of your choice and it will walk you through it in good detail.