PDA

View Full Version : Time to let your Voice Be Heard

sawtooth
03-13-2012, 10:55 PM
The Idaho Department of Fish and Game is in the process of preparing the next Fishery Management Plan (FMP) which helps guide the department for the next Six Years. Part of this plan is based on public input from the fishing public. Now is your time to let the IDFG hear any concerns you might have with reguard to fishing in Idaho. As an avid Kokanee fisherman, one concern I have is the reduced number of Kokanee that are being stocked in Lucky Peak, Arrowrock, and many other lakes in the state. As an example, Lucky Peak's stocking numbers have gone from 200,000 -300,000 per year (prior to 2009) down to 151,000 in 2010. It normally takes Kokanee an average of three years to reach maturity, which could mean 2013 could be a lean year for catching kokes. As more people move into the Treasure Valley, these lakes will see more and more fishing pressure. I hope the kokanee stocking program will be able to keep up. The Fish and Game Website has some great information. Check out http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/fish/stocking/ for other fish stocking numbers. The Fish and Game have a tough job keeping all our fishing interests in mind. It is even harder if no one shares their concerns. Now is the time to let them hear your ideas of how fishing should look in Idaho for the next six years. Send comments to https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/portal/contact as soon as possible, as they will be making their proposals in mid to late April.

MMDON
03-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Concerns sent!

trkboss
03-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Thank you Sawtooth!!

oldrider
03-16-2012, 10:31 AM
I sent my sentiments, and hopefully someone at F&G that gives a s**t will read it :-)

sawtooth
03-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Thank you Sawtooth!!

Not a problem trkboss. The more input us koke addicts can give the IDFG the better we will be represented in this six year Plan. signfishin

Ken Jones
03-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Over stocked Kokes only means smaller fish at Maturity. The problem with Anderson there is two many fish, and their isn"t enough plankton to support them to grow much bigger than they get before spawning. Less fish like Lucky Peak and Anderson means bigger fish. I like the bigger fish concept. Last year in Arrowrock we cought kokes that weighed in at 3 pounds, damn it thats a nice fish. Several fish were in the two pound range. Lets hope it remains that way for several more years. The biggest Kokes caught in Idaho come out Lucky Peak and Arrowrock. 101chromefish101

sawtooth
03-20-2012, 01:50 AM
.... I like the bigger fish concept. Last year in Arrowrock we cought kokes that weighed in at 3 pounds, damn it thats a nice fish. Several fish were in the two pound range. Lets hope it remains that way for several more years. The biggest Kokes caught in Idaho come out Lucky Peak and Arrowrock. 101chromefish101

Ken,
I agree that the last few years at Lucky Peak and Arrowrock have been great. The Fish and Game have done a great job of finding the balance between numbers of fish and size. In Lucky Peak, where there is minimal natural reproduction, the last two years required stocking numbers of 245,000 in 2007, and 195,570 in 2008. The fish we will catch this year were planted in 2009 and the stocking report says that they planted 199,800. I am hoping that this year is just as good as the last two. My concerns start with next year when we will be fishing for a reduced number of 151,000 kokanee. I realize that there are several factors which come in to play such as food supply, number of predators in/at the lake(both fisherman and fish)and water quality/temperature, but I think cutting the stocking numbers by a full 1/4 is not going to increase the size by that much. There comes a point of limited return. Maybe I am wrong, and I hope that I am. Maybe next year I will only get 4 fish instead of 5 or 6, but they will all be wallhangers tongue2. I could live with that, but my guess is I will be catching 4 fish that average 1/2" bigger then the years past. I would prefer that the fish and game keep the stocking numbers closer to 200,000 fingerlings per year. Like you said 2 to 3 lbs. is a nice fish.

sawtooth
04-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Final days to voice your concerns on how to make fishing in Idaho better. Fish and Game will be giving their proposals for the next six year plan in a couple of weeks. Go to the website at the top of this post to share your views.