PDA

View Full Version : How do I cram all this stuff into a tackle box?

Full_Monte
10-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Maybe I'm overdoing it, but I don't see how. I have a pretty good size tackle box with three trays and a large space below. With all the new lures I'm buying and making, it's chock full already. If I get a larger box, it's going to need wheels! What do you guys do?

Thanks!

FishHunter
10-13-2008, 01:51 PM
I have had similar problems, and still do to some extent. I have 4 tackle boxes right now and need at least one more. The problem is that I keep buying more stuff and that requires more space. The problem now is I need a bigger boat to haul all my tackle boxes laugh hyst

MackPrince
10-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Monte you are asking a lot of great questions. Remember, more tackle does not always mean more fish but it does mean more time thinking about what might work. Try a few basic set-ups to start, talk to the locals, and go from there. I split my tackle into two boxes. One for the stuff that consistently works, and one for the bare essentials and testers. After a mishap a few years ago I try to limit how much $$ can fall into the water in one box.

Full_Monte
10-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Yes...if I knew what they were biting on, I'd need only one lure and one scent.
That would make my tackle box the size of a peanut butter sandwich. After reading Dave Biser's book, it appears I have only about 1% of the lures one could use, and no room for any of it...

Petty4life
10-13-2008, 05:31 PM
I use the plastic boxes that go in bags, the shelves in the garage are full of them and i just grab the boxes i need and load the bag

Kokaholic
10-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Plastic boxes also. Works great for me.

SilverBullets
10-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Plastic box's work great. Have leaders on all your lures already made up and have in loops secured with wire ties. I keep spoons and jigs in seperate box's with no leaders, can store more in each compartment that way. Kokanee change their minds alot, so it helps to have a good selection to see what they prefer from day to day. Your not overdoing it until you carry 2 tackle box's, 21 plastic box's full of kok lures, and around 95 dodgers kept in 2 bags... (one for each side of the boat to keep the boat level.) Stop reading that book Monte, save yourself!

Full_Monte
10-14-2008, 10:47 AM
OK...the plastic box idea sounds good. I like the idea of spreading the weight around in the boat, and was thinking I might need to borrow that guy's wife who's the size of a Buick dealership to balance out the tackle box. Maybe having too much tackle is the secret to trolling slowly. With all this stuff in the boat, I'll likely have only a few inches of freeboard, and the boat won't go too fast for trolling any more.

What size plastic box do you use and do you carry several of them inside a tackle box? Do you use a soft-sided box instead of a hard-sided one? Do you use the two-sided plastic boxes or ones that open on one side?

Thanks for all your help!

Kokaholic
10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
I use the plastic boxes that I can change the size of the compartment inside. That way I can put dodgers in by their size. 4" all in one and 5 inch all in another. I use a soft side carry bag. I then can change out my plastic containers really easy.

I keep all my scuids together and then string them up as I need them. Then I wrap them around a holder and keeep in one of my boxes. that way they are ready to go for the next trip.

You can also buy plastic boxes that are deeper than others. I keep all my snelled leaders on a peice of styrofoam lying inside the box. They can work for the squids, Spinners, apex's

I can then just take out just the one plastic container that I need with all of my squids, lures, spinners etc and put the rest of my box up in the front of the boat out of the way

FishHunter
10-14-2008, 06:32 PM
I use the plastic boxes, as well, along with the soft-sided tackle bags. I prefer the larger ones because of the amount of lures that I have. I also group the different kinds of lures together like Kokaholic. It makes it much easier to have all of the same kind of lures in the same box. Some lures I use with specific dodgers and keep those dodgers and the lures the same box together.

I rig each lure with leader and have them tied with wire ties and ready to go in the boxes. I find that I am constantly changing lures until I find the color or type of lure the kokes want that day or time of day. It took me a couple of days of fishing to get everything organized the way I wanted in my boxes. It is well worth the time to get everything ready during the off-season so that the first trip or two of the season are not spent finding things and sorting out messes.

Petty4life
10-14-2008, 06:53 PM
this is the bag i use it has a bunch of pockets and it holds all the extra gear including 2 dipsy divers that i always carry just in case the downriggers go down.
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=525
Here is the inside of the water proof bag notice the labels on the boxes
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=524
Notice the labels on the top of the lid everything has its place
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=523

I have about 10 of these full of kokanee tackle and about 40-50 total of all tackle
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=520

Full_Monte
10-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Wow! That's a big help! It looks like I've got a lot of organizing to do, but it's a good time of year to do it. Are all those boxes the worm-proof type?
Thanks for all the coaching, guys. I have only one fishing buddy and he only knows trout fishing. My wife fishes too, but she just does what I show her to do. I appreciate your willingness to help!worthy12

Petty4life
10-15-2008, 04:59 AM
Wow! That's a big help! It looks like I've got a lot of organizing to do, but it's a good time of year to do it. Are all those boxes the worm-proof type?

Yes they are but i still don't put my squids in with my spoonsthumbsup

TrophyBoat
10-17-2008, 11:58 PM
we use the same method as petty,but the day before we head out to the lake we use these tackle binders whiich have poly bag inserts. We pre-tie up our lucky lures or typical used lure/blade combo for the specific body of water so if you have guests, break a fish off, or the fish are hitting one specific lure than you have a few lures tied up with there dodger already to go in the pouch. that way you don't have any down time tying a lure up while everybody else is reeling in fish. these would eliminate the use of a wire ties. On the smaller model you can put about 10 different lure/dodger combos in each pouch. These are useful is you use pop gear or gang trolls as well.