PDA

View Full Version : Proper care for your catch?

REW
03-09-2012, 12:35 PM
How do you take care your fish after catching them?
This is what I like to do.
First, the kill: I like to sever the spinal column behind the head, helps in bleeding out. The kill is immediate , don't like bruised meat as in letting the fish jump around, beating itself up.
Second, the bleed: I like to cut loose the gills from the lower body. Between this and severing the spinal column the head is almost off.
Third, the clean: I go ahead and split the abdomen to the vent and gut out, making sure to clean the blood line next to the backbone. I have a trash bag ready for the innards.
Fourth, the wipe down: I take a clean cloth, sponge or stiff brush and clean up the outside of the body, including some if not all of the scales.
Fifth, the cool down: I cool the fish down ASAP, in a dry environment, not moist where bacteria can grow.
Sixth: get back to fishing and catch some more !!!

After you get used to doing this and are prepared for it, it is less than a minute and doesn't interfere with fishing, while ensuring the best flavor. If I choose to take pictures the fish won't be nasty looking or bloody.

Is there a quicker/better method?

Trollin-Fools
03-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Wow I think your method is great! Personally all I do is hit them hard on the back of the head to kill them with a small club we call "The Bonker" and throw them on ice in the cooler. The rest of the cleaning takes place when I get home. I've never had any trouble with kokes not tasting fabulous.

jimbojump
03-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Wow I think your method is great! Personally all I do is hit them hard on the back of the head to kill them with a small club we call "The Bonker" and throw them on ice in the cooler. The rest of the cleaning takes place when I get home. I've never had any trouble with kokes not tasting fabulous.

Im the same way...just keep em on ice and clean at home...unless im camping up there then its at camp during lunch or after the day is over...I havent noticed a problem...however...I will say that I need to invest in a vacuum sealer bag system though cuz after a while the meat get s mushy in the freezer...

RalphL
03-10-2012, 10:35 AM
on ice in the boat, clean at the slip,vacuem bag in the truck camper..delicious all year ...

Bluknight
03-10-2012, 02:59 PM
I bonk and bleed in the boat. Sometimes use the washdown pump hose to spray most of the scales off in the fish box. In to the cooler until return home.

I do follow through with the scrub brush to get the scales and slime off when I get home then fillet them out.

jimbojump
03-11-2013, 09:56 AM
OH huh! I beg to differ!

MMDON
03-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Bleeding the fish out is a great start but you don't want to reintroduce the fish to water after it's died. Put a plastic bag in your ice chest and keep your kokes from floating around in the water. The flesh will fare much better. I fillet the fish and bag it without it ever touching water again.

mowrus
03-21-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm with you..Even though they live in water---they don't need to saute in slim water

Bduck
03-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Cut & bleed, bag & ice them. Fillet them later at the fish cleaning station and vacuum seal at camp.

rainORsnow1
03-22-2013, 05:52 PM
I make sure I pour some of the lake water in the ice and make a slurry and make sure the fish are well buried. I've tried bleeding and not. Doesn't effect the flavor like it would bleeding a migratory fish imho. Clean at the launch back into the slurry and vacuum pack at home or camp

MMDON
03-22-2013, 10:12 PM
I make sure I pour some of the lake water in the ice and make a slurry and make sure the fish are well buried. I've tried bleeding and not. Doesn't effect the flavor like it would bleeding a migratory fish imho. Clean at the launch back into the slurry and vacuum pack at home or camp

Doing it that way causes the bones to start loosening from the flesh and creates a situation similar to belly burn. I wouldn't reintroduce them to lake water for any reason. They need to be kept dry cold until filleting.

rainORsnow1
03-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Haven't had a problem yet even though I have been wrong before. Besides guys down in the keys have been doing it forever. Just my two cents

SuperD
03-25-2013, 05:55 PM
I know people that eat and like river salmon so there is just no accounting for other people's pallate. If what you are doing works for you, one doesn't need to change.