PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Lures (Alabama Rig)

REW
03-01-2012, 01:01 PM
This is not to start an ethical debate, so please refrain or start your own thread !

Has anyone looked into the legality of using this type of rigging in Idaho? Does anyone have any experience in using one of these in trolling for kokanee, perch, or any other Idaho game fish?

If you want to see what I am refering to, this is the link: http://www.thealabamarig.com/about.htm

SuperD
03-01-2012, 01:32 PM
I've seen it used for big fish. Out West, the way I would use it legally is to have one leader longer than the rest with the hooks in it. The others would be teasers only. The regulations usually are very clear as to maximum number of hooks per line.

mrmike
03-01-2012, 02:37 PM
I've seen it used while watching Bass tournament fishing on TV and thought it wasn't really TRUE. This fisherman throwing it and catching a lot of fish doing so. it really works. also I witnessed Tuna fisherman using it on the East Coast (I watch to many sport shows). I would assume if you have the correct hook set up that the law requires it no different then any other lure

jimbojump
03-01-2012, 06:20 PM
I believe in Idaho you can have a maximum of three hooks per line/ rod...so like the other gent said...leave a trailer in the back on a longer line and put dummies on the rest....or cut off the hooks on swimbaits for teasers

SuperDaveMT
03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Looking at the rig, I don't think it would be much fun fighting a koke that is dragging all of that rigging - looks like there would be more resistance than a cowbell type set up. It does give me an idea for a ball troll with the downrigger release coming off the back. Has anyone tried a flasher rig that presents the blades vertically instead of horizontally?

RalphL
03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
who the heck wants to limit out in one pass. Fish 5 minuts and go home?? I will stick to one lure per rod..

Fishin24-7
03-02-2012, 05:00 PM
It was doing so much damage(winning) on the bassmaster circuit they banned it except for the opens.Its been along time offshore rig for saltwater used as teasers!It would be cool to rig one to the down rigger ball and then run your lure a few feet back on a release,no fighting the rig after hookup!make the rig spoons and your follower bait the same color!no worries about state law also.Alright someone go rig something up and tell us about it,bound to work ,just a different version of flashers.101chromefish101

redmanjr1
03-03-2012, 11:42 PM
I've not had any experience with that type of rig. For kokanee I don't know if it would work or not. Everything I've read indicates that usually more is not better and they can be spooked fairly easily. Guess there would only be one way to find out...

Not sure of Idaho regs for legality though.

Bob

gonefishing
03-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Go to ABT Lures on Line. They sell a version of this. Nice salt water rig.

You are allowed 3 Hooks max per line in idaho. That covers a large rapala type lure with 3 treble hooks.

Kokanee usually wont hit something they see as dominat in the water. I double that this would work for them to well.

King Tut
03-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Regs in Idaho read> hook a bent wire devise for catching of fish,to which 1,2,or 3 points may be attached to a single shank. Up to 5 hooks per line may be used. Except where specifically prohibited. Also trout and kokanee limits are separate. ( 6 each )

gonefishing
03-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Yep your right King Tut. Got to looking at regs this AM and realized I was wrong. Most kokanee lures have two hooks on them, so that would limit a line to just 2 kokane lures, unless you tie up hoochies with just one hook.

Not sure that I would want to go down this road any way. 2 poles is all I can handle when I am out by myself. If I get a double hook-up, it ends up just being one fish anyway.

fowllanguage
08-03-2013, 04:44 AM
I have a hard time thinking this wouldn't spook fish, but you never know, I'm sure it would get their attention at least like a flasher, but it'd be rough to real in, it's bad enough with 3 oz trolling weights trying to real in a fish from 100+ feet, I can't imagine doing it with this type of sail rig. I guess you could always use a few of them like a drift sock.

@gonefishing - I've went to making my own wedding rings lately, I usually tie three number 8 or smaller baitholder hooks in a herring knot fashion on 6-8lb mono similar to salmon rigs and then slide the wedding ring onto it, it seems to give me more secure hook ups might help you when you get doubles.

mrmike
08-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Foullanguage If I could help I put together the school of fish put out by Oregon tackle a SUPER TUNE VERSION OF ALABAMA RIG WITH NO HOOKS. Your 100% correct its used as a flasher/the ones I designed have no weight and are used on the surface I have had great success with them. The one draw back it has to be used with a spinner type blade as there is no wobbler action. I've used solid gold/custom blades in willow leaf/ Indiana Blades ETC. These flasher are a custom blade for myself for Kokanee they(Oregon Tackle) added weight to the front school of fish and are having great success with just about everything that swims. They are designed with no hooks just blades . There is a little drag but very little hope this helps/just reCently they added a front float to target kokanee.I think you can purchase them from Kokanee tackle a sponsor of this forum