PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Technology

Bduck
03-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Todays technologies in the production of outboard engines is fascinating. One that brings to mind is the Evinrude E-TEC class. Alot of manufacturers are in production of 4stroke motors while Evinrude has stayed with a clean oil injected 2stroke, no mixing of fuel & oil. I'm impressed with the infomercials on their maintenance program, how well they are developed, and how they compete against their rivals. I have only touched on the pros but haven't heard of any cons at this point. Has anyone heard of any defective flaws with these motors? What is your take vs other manufacturers? There is only one possible flaw I can think of and that with the 2stroke technology. Some lakes are banned using 2stroke but I'm not sure about this type of 2stroke.

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Videos/Why-ETec/ETEC

SuperD
03-01-2012, 10:37 AM
E-Tecs are allowed on lakes that ban the old smokey 2 strokes. There was a thread on the Hooker a year or 2 ago and the guys in Alaska gave it a big thumbs down. It didn't hold up in that environment for some reason. I don't recall the details anyway. The lightweight and lowend torque stats make it sound like a good engine. I'll stick with the 4 stroke quiet engine myself. As for your subject line, I keep praying for a fuel injected kicker motor to come out. I have so many carb problems with the ethanol gas and infrequent use that hate carburator engines with a passion now.

smokin' Kokes
03-25-2012, 04:34 AM
the direct injection OBs are even worse on old gas or ethanol gas for gumming up the close tolerance precision high pressure injectors.

Congress was in the process of requiring by Fed. reg. non ethanol gas to be available in all areas for non public hwy engines.

takes an outboard tech and an injector shop to clean them. expensive. $200 a pop to replace