PDA

View Full Version : Open Springer seat in exchange for knowledge

Mudinchev
02-29-2012, 01:45 AM
Posted this on Ifish but thought I would post it here as well, I have gotten to know more people on here and would rather fish with someone I kind of know.

Ok here is the deal, I grew up fishing the lakes of Eastern WA and North ID, transplanted to the WET side about 14 years ago. I finally have a boat worthy of the big river but have little knowledge of how to fish it. I can read books, look at pictures and get ideas, but there are a lot of things that only experience can tell you. Unlike some of the "lucky" ones I don't have the time to spend most of my days on the water learning. I managed to score a ride with a friend (one of the lucky ones) last fall and he showed us the ropes of fall Chinook, still though it is nerve wracking being in close quarters with so many boats and not knowing all of the proper etiquette. Not knowing whether I am being yelled at because I broke some unwritten rule or because the guys is just an a$$ that thinks he owns the whole river. Either way it takes the fun out of it, especially when I have to hold my tongue more than usual because my 9yr old son is with me.
Long story short I would like to find some one with the knowledge of where when and how, that either doesn't have a boat, or just wants a change of pace and the chance to make new friends to spend a day or two on the water. My boat, 21' ProSport (Duckworth) my 1st mate, my 9 yr old son, my gear....VERY limited (spent last year gearing up for Kokanee). This person would need to be a non smoker/drinker and be able to keep the verbage geared toward young ears. If you have reservations about fishing with a kid, he is not your normal whine and cry because he bored kid, he lives to fish and given the choice he would live in the boat with a rod in his hand. I will provide the transportation, boat, and fuel, you provide some gear and knowledge. Located in Woodland so anywhere between Portland and Longview would be fine with me. Week days are out with work and school so it would need to be on the week ends.

Winterun
02-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Mudinchev,
If you and your son want to travel a bit North to fish American Lk, I'd be happy to show you around. You don't have to bring your boat up, we can fish out of mine, it's a little smaller 16' Smokercraft Osprey but she rigged and ready to get after some koke's!
No trades necessary as I have plenty of opportunities to fish with folks on the the Big C.
Let me know, and we can go over any details or questions you might have!

Winterun

Mudinchev
03-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Sounds like fun.....not sure what our plans are for the next couple of months, always seem to have a lot going on, but if the opportunity arises I see if we can hook up.

GoneCatchin
03-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Sent you a pm.

smokin' Kokes
03-08-2012, 02:38 PM
go to some of the spring salmon seminars put on by the pro salmon guides.
Fisherman's at Delta Park in Portland is good.
believe Bob's in Longview has them also.
good place to start. they'll equip you with maps, anchors and correct gear.

early season before the river warms up in April, trolling is usually more productive. plug cut or whole green or blue label herring with some scent. just jump in with a trolling group on a run. weight must be bouncing on the bottom every 15 to 30 seconds or you're not salmon fishing, just dragging hooks.

anchoring up in the hog lines is where the wars start. I tend to avoid that insanity. find a section of low angle sandy beach near the river channel. anchor in 20' to 30' of water on the outgoing tide with at least 150' of anchor line out, need lots of scope because of max tide current. fish on the bottom at all times plugs or herring. have to be early before sun rise to get a spot and the wars start. use a Columbia River anchor buoy system so you can drop off the anchor line to land fish.

or even better is take a couple early season guide trips, they will show you every trick in the book. gotta be a fast learner though but even a couple trips and you'll be set for a great season.
try a guide that fishes the area of the Col. you want to fish.
he'll fish and move until he finds the fish. you'll learn several areas that way. get one that both trolls and anchors for springers so ya get tips on each
ask questions. they love to talk

fat springer fillet on the barbbie, nothin' better.
butter of the sea.

i'm fishing Puget Island Westport area. white 20' Trophy.

Mudinchev
03-08-2012, 03:56 PM
All good advice! I am working on all of the above even trying to set up a ride with a guide.