PDA

View Full Version : Favorite scent for kokanee?

Fishin24-7
02-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Hey what scent do you guys believe is the best scent for kokanee?I am going to try a scent on my jigs ice fishing this week.I am only going to buy one and try it!There seem to be a ton on the market now,was thinking the krill would work good?Any opinions?Do you think using scent Ice fishing will keep them around longer when they come through?

kodiak1
02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm a big fan of Pautske's Nectar. Works great, and of course, it's a kokanee's favorite color.....pink! Mike

RalphL
02-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Just a how come.. If your trolling an area for several hours, as most of us do staying with the school, are we not simply saturating the area with the same scent. Is that the objective ? If so, why not just put the scent on the DR ball. If the goal is to use the scent to attract TO the lure, arent we defeating the goal by saturating the area Could it be a lot of scent in the water triggers the bite. I know how scent on bait works but wonder whats going on when we drag it around the same area for hours?????

SuperD
02-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Just a how come.. If your trolling an area for several hours, as most of us do staying with the school, are we not simply saturating the area with the same scent. Is that the objective ? If so, why not just put the scent on the DR ball. If the goal is to use the scent to attract TO the lure, arent we defeating the goal by saturating the area Could it be a lot of scent in the water triggers the bite. I know how scent on bait works but wonder whats going on when we drag it around the same area for hours?????
Maybe or maybe not. When trolling with scent, it does absolutely nothing to do with attracting a fish to the lure. The fish DO NOT follow a scent trail to the lure. It is nothing like chum fishing a stationary spot. It can be used that way but never in a moving situation. Scent on trolled lures primarily is used for 2 things:
1) Masking foreign or our own human scent
2) Tripping an instantaneous decision to strike or not strike.

DLM
02-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Maybe or maybe not. When trolling with scent, it does absolutely nothing to do with attracting a fish to the lure. The fish DO NOT follow a scent trail to the lure. It is nothing like chum fishing a stationary spot. It can be used that way but never in a moving situation. Scent on trolled lures primarily is used for 2 things:
1) Masking foreign or our own human scent
2) Tripping an instantaneous decision to strike or not strike.

Exactly right.

First it is sound (vibration)
Then by sight
Then the scent, and movement.

But back to the original question, my favorite is Anise-Plus.

TrollNFisher
02-21-2012, 10:03 PM
My favorite scent for Kokanee is the scent right out of the SMOKER, hands down it can’t be beat! laugh hyst

Just being a smart a** my favorite is Dick Nite Kokanee Gel Attractant

trkboss
02-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Pro Cure Predator Oil.

Kokanee-Toni
02-22-2012, 10:16 AM
My favorite scent for Kokanee is the scent right out of the SMOKER, hands down it can’t be beat! laugh hyst

Just being a smart a** my favorite is Dick Nite Kokanee Gel Attractant

thumbsup laugh hyst

Kokanee-Toni
02-22-2012, 10:19 AM
1) Anise
2) Dick Nite DNA Kokanee
3) Garlic
or nothing

SuperD
02-22-2012, 10:36 AM
I usually start with garlic and then wait to hear if anyone on the radio is having better luck with a different scent. Left to my own, Shrimp/Anise is my on deck scent to bat second.

Fishin24-7
02-22-2012, 01:00 PM
When you guys say garlic,are you talking about mixing it up with any garlic powder from the kitchen?How much do you use in it?

SuperD
02-22-2012, 01:14 PM
pro cure garlic plus for me but I've been out before and used minced from a jar with the juice in a pinch.

SilverBullets
02-22-2012, 04:48 PM
1. Pro-Cure "Garlic Plus" with a sprinkle of Pro-Cure "Garlic Slam-Ola" Powder.
2. Pro-Cure Kokanee Special.

SuperD
02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Nobody with a home brew scent? I know some fishing buddies that always go with some vanilla extract and karo syrup. And a few others that only use tuna water from canned tuna. There has to be some garage science kind of guys here on this board.

RalphL
02-22-2012, 06:55 PM
we grow a strong red garlic at the ranch (pink lady). I mince it and drop it in with my corn, and usually do as well as most on the lake..

mrmike
02-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Great subject Sorry don't agree Kokanee love absolutely love oils if they didn't why put anything on your hooks, corn included. Masking scent no way, reaction bites don't think so/ Sight is number one which includes color added attraction is oil I;ve found Crawdad oil/Anise to be and absolute killer. I can tell immediately when trolling when I've lost my baits (no hits) check my hooks no bait (smell) but that just my opionion. I use alot of other oils also,but my go to is crawdad

SilverBullets
02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
I've tried just about every concoction...carp spit, krill,shrimp/prawn,squid, sand shrimp, herring, syrup, sugar, hummingbird nectar, pautzke necter, dna, vanilla extract, etc. All batches get mixed with Anise and Wizard Kokanee Killer Korn Magic. All these scents work sometimes...just seems like the garlic and koke special work more times than not (at least where I fish.) Also, always make up a batch dyed pink...sometimes the color seems to make more of a difference than the scent.

Fishin24-7
02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
what do you dye it with?

SilverBullets
02-22-2012, 08:58 PM
what do you dye it with?

I use a mixture of Pro-Cure Kokanee Killer Korn Dye and Pautzke Nectar.

SeaDog
02-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Hi,

Scents? Here's what I've done. (Fish for Kokes at night at anchor - fore and aft - with lights here in Ct.)

Got a 3 inch metal mesh tea ball at my local cooking store.

Here's the good part -> Take a can of Green Giant Shoepeg Corn and puree it in a blender with a little powdered sugar (touch of anise if you like).
Then pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze.
Put cube of frozen Shoepeg and a stone as weight in the tea ball (close and lock) and with a good heavy cord send it down to the depth where you see the school of Kokes on your fish finder.
Cube will melt slowly and disperse corn scent at that depth.
Kokes will hang around all night long! tooexcited
(This should also work during daylight hours)

Just make sure you hang the tea ball on opposite side of boat your fishing from or far enough away so hooked Koke doesn't get tangled.

SeaDog

kenamatic
02-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Koke special and garlic plus mix sometimes with a small touch of anise. Mikes lunker lotion kokanee can be hot and actually smells good on your hands (good right before busting out a sandwich for lunch

mrmike
02-23-2012, 01:29 PM
SeaDog great idea ,but it isn't legal to chum in Oregon or fish at night/ There seem to be different lakes that certain things(sents work) I have friends that fish GreenPeter and have good success with tuna oil I've tried other lakes and had absolutely no response with tuna oil. Garlic been a good enhancer for feeding was establpiished by the tropicial fish folks to make fish that are stress from being transported to start feeding again. I've called Seachem Corp and picked there brain. They supply different Amino Acid Supplements also

MMDON
02-23-2012, 07:35 PM
fencingShrimp/Anise scent. Kokanee Killer Korn Dye.

BorntoFish01
02-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Hi,

Scents? Here's what I've done. (Fish for Kokes at night at anchor - fore and aft - with lights here in Ct.)

Got a 3 inch metal mesh tea ball at my local cooking store.

Here's the good part -> Take a can of Green Giant Shoepeg Corn and puree it in a blender with a little powdered sugar (touch of anise if you like).
Then pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze.
Put cube of frozen Shoepeg and a stone as weight in the tea ball (close and lock) and with a good heavy cord send it down to the depth where you see the school of Kokes on your fish finder.
Cube will melt slowly and disperse corn scent at that depth.
Kokes will hang around all night long! tooexcited
(This should also work during daylight hours)

Just make sure you hang the tea ball on opposite side of boat your fishing from or far enough away so hooked Koke doesn't get tangled.

SeaDog

Glad to hear that's working for you. I went the same route last winter...buying the tea balls. I then got some soft foam balls that would fit inside them and came up with various scent concoctions which I introduced the foam to in a vacuum jar. Into the freezer they went....and there they sat this past year cause I was pretty much grounded due to medical reasons. I look forward to giving them a try this coming season. BTW, my presentation approach will be different than yours in so far as the tea balls will be clipped to my down rigger cable.

King Tut
02-25-2012, 12:12 PM
With scent in the water it attracts more fish. With current and wind it spreads. The fish will follow it to that area. Plus scent covers the scent that you may of transfered to your lure. Wash your hands often.

King Tut
02-25-2012, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=King Tut;35509]With scent in the water it attracts more fish. With current and wind it spreads. The fish will follow it to that area. Plus scent covers the scent that you may of transfered to your lure. Wash your hands often. I think if you troll a spot it is like chumming. Won't fish go to where the scent is the strongest. Their scent is 1000 times better than a human.
Once they get close then they see your flasher. Everyone has their own theory and if it works don't change. I saw many awesome scent ideas. Scent on the downrigger ball would probally work if your lure was'nt to far behind.

MMDON
02-26-2012, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=King Tut;35509]With scent in the water it attracts more fish. With current and wind it spreads. The fish will follow it to that area. Plus scent covers the scent that you may of transfered to your lure. Wash your hands often. I think if you troll a spot it is like chumming. Won't fish go to where the scent is the strongest. Their scent is 1000 times better than a human.
Once they get close then they see your flasher. Everyone has their own theory and if it works don't change. I saw many awesome scent ideas. Scent on the downrigger ball would probally work if your lure was'nt to far behind.

That isn't the way it works unless you are dead in the water and jigging. If you are trolling the scent trail is a myth.

mrmike
02-26-2012, 02:51 PM
King Tut MMDon is correct oils are NOT water soluable THEY don't dissove in cold water what they are an inhancements. Salmon EGG cure's in Tide water are designed to milk out creating a scent in water, this is done but not with oils but by other means your getting them confussed. Pro cure has just came out with water soluable oil scent Why? because oils don't desolve and water solulable scent dispurse leaving scent but for only a very short time. Remember there are alot of products on the market to catch fisherman not fish.

poder1
03-07-2012, 05:27 PM
what do you dye it with?

In 1990 or so, I started dying corn, I used red food dye. Put the corn you are going to use the nite before into a bag and add a little food dye in it, and let it soak over nite. If you want put a little anise oil in the bag, and in the morning rinse out the bag with water so you won't have red hands after you fish. After i started doing that everybody started dying their corn , You would see fisherman with all colors on their hands.That is mainly use at Lucky Peak and Anderson.
I use my Ted's bugs with a dodger ..........ted samford guided on Stampede for ten years. fishin not wishin guide and tackle retired.

Ken Jones
03-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Me, I like a Hum Dinger Lure in 1/4oz. In floresent Orange with Shoepeg corn and dip Lure into Juice. Remember Bluebacks are Shrimp and Plankton feeders. What causes a strike,who knows. KEN.

kokaguy1
03-07-2012, 10:47 PM
tuna oil has NEVER let me down

F-Bomb
03-09-2012, 05:32 PM
I open the shoepeg can drain out the water and run in a fifty fifty blend of shrimp anise smelly jelly with WD40. Just let it soak and THIS ABSOLUTELY WORKS..at least at LP, Arrowrock, and Anderson. It's the same blend I use for washing my steelhead lures as well. Back prior to the koke days of LP we used a heavy dose of wd40 with berkley power bait powder. Killer on trout with a triple teaser. It was another proven winner but the powder went extinct. It formed some kind of gooey nasty slime and then hardened on your boat to a substance undiscovered by modern science. Similar in hardness to a diamond...well harder than hammer tone powder coating anyway!