PDA

View Full Version : fishing the Snake River ???

oldrider
02-16-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm a transplant from Nevada, (2006) and have fished CJ Strike and Anderson Ranch mostly via boat. I kept thinking about what it would be like to fish the Snake above Bruneau and below CJ. My fiberglass boat was too big to fish it because of how shallow it is, so yesterday I bought a nice 17' bass boat. My friend Troy who owns T&V Marine here in Mountain Home, assured me that the new boat could go most everywhere I wanted to take it. So, I'm looking for some input from those who have fished the Snake, and how did they fish it. Troll, or anchor and still fish? Whatcha catchin' ? What gear set up are you using ?
Oldrider
MH

idaho_Grizz
02-16-2012, 12:48 PM
I don't think I would take a fiberglass boat on most of the snake, lots of skinny water.

REW
02-16-2012, 05:16 PM
A fiberglass Bassboat is in no way qualified to run rocky rivers in Idaho

oldrider
02-16-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't think I would take a fiberglass boat on most of the snake, lots of skinny water.

This is a Grumman aluminum bass boat, like a Tracker. 50hp. Will run in shallow water, where my fiberglass Beachcraft deep V won't. I just want to broaden my fishing opportunities :-)

jimbojump
02-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Does your boat have a jetted outboard? cuz aluminum can get you more places but the potential prop damage is scary...welcome to Idaho my friend...

BlueBack79
02-16-2012, 09:30 PM
if you have a prop, be extremely careful. i wouldnt do it.

Ken Jones
02-16-2012, 10:15 PM
If it was me I would think twice before I ventured in the snake between CJ Strike and Swaan Falls. I did a Sturgeon study for the fish and game. My area was between the two dams. There is a lot of shallow water and if you are running a prop you will get yourself into trouble eventually I guarantee it. Troy may of said that you wouldn't have any problems but I think he is giving you the wrong information. My advise go with someone who knows the river to learn where to run it. Good luck.I was told that my Jet boat could run on plane in six inches of water, they were wrong.

REW
02-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Maybe if 'Troy' is a good friend, he will take one of his boats that closely resembles the one he sold to you and run the section of river with you to show you the best way between the two dams. Don't let him use your brand new boat ! ! ! As to fishing technique, you need to let us know what fish you are trying to catch, then we could advise you accordingly.

jimbojump
02-17-2012, 09:17 AM
I have always wanted to outfit an older Waverunner for fishing...out of curioisty....who would be interested in something like that? re-inforced and coated hulls...sonar...rod holders etc....I had one in the 90's and loved it...but never used it for fishing...but I know it DID run in 6 " of water and could go most anywhere....slow enough to troll from fast enough to get where you wanted quickly and extremely manueverable....just a thought

oldrider
02-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Does your boat have a jetted outboard? cuz aluminum can get you more places but the potential prop damage is scary...welcome to Idaho my friend...

It has a prop, but it does have power trim so the motor could be adjusted somewhat to the depth conditions.

MMDON
02-18-2012, 09:30 AM
As suggested above, have Troy take you in his boat and show you the ropes. A prop boat is asking for trouble IMHO.

conservationist
03-22-2012, 07:30 PM
I've tried to run various sections of the Snake below Swan Falls with a prop and it is just asking for trouble. I spent 2 hours one day trying to work up a section of the river that from a distance looked fine -- no ripples, no rapids and probably a hundred yards wide. Problem was that it was only maybe a foot deep. I had a 16' flat bottom with a 40 hp motor. Just could not do it. If I tilted the engine up, I seemed to lose too much power, if I lowered it, I got the power but the bow popped up, stern down and into the gravel I went. I didn't have the guts (or the pocket book) to see if I could go up on plane -- nothing said I wouldn't find a 6 inch deep spot.

I decided the best way is to drive upstream and float down with a paddle or pontoon boat.

If you decide to try this, keep in mind that you want to park downstream and go upstream. That way when you have trouble or get to a point you can't go further, you can always drift back to your rig. Head downstream and you may float over something that you just are not going to go back upstream over.

As to fishing -- some great small mouth fishing just about anywhere. Crankbaits and plastics. You have to do it early to not fight moss though. It seems that by mid June, you start dragging strings of moss that foul your lures. You can find pockets to fish though all summer where the current clears most of the moss. Just can't fish all the best looking cover.

I've seen some monster Cats in the river too.

Good luck,

Bob

oldrider
03-23-2012, 10:00 AM
I've tried to run various sections of the Snake below Swan Falls with a prop and it is just asking for trouble. I spent 2 hours one day trying to work up a section of the river that from a distance looked fine -- no ripples, no rapids and probably a hundred yards wide. Problem was that it was only maybe a foot deep. I had a 16' flat bottom with a 40 hp motor. Just could not do it. If I tilted the engine up, I seemed to lose too much power, if I lowered it, I got the power but the bow popped up, stern down and into the gravel I went. I didn't have the guts (or the pocket book) to see if I could go up on plane -- nothing said I wouldn't find a 6 inch deep spot.

I decided the best way is to drive upstream and float down with a paddle or pontoon boat.

If you decide to try this, keep in mind that you want to park downstream and go upstream. That way when you have trouble or get to a point you can't go further, you can always drift back to your rig. Head downstream and you may float over something that you just are not going to go back upstream over.

As to fishing -- some great small mouth fishing just about anywhere. Crankbaits and plastics. You have to do it early to not fight moss though. It seems that by mid June, you start dragging strings of moss that foul your lures. You can find pockets to fish though all summer where the current clears most of the moss. Just can't fish all the best looking cover.

I've seen some monster Cats in the river too.

Good luck,

Bob

Thanks for the info and insight ! I guess it would be wisest for me to really consider which part of the Snake I'd find the least trouble with :-) Around Mtn. Home, I've been told one of the best to try would be east of the Loveridge Bridge near Bruneau which also isn't too far from my home.