PDA

View Full Version : 19calvin

19calvin
01-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Hi,
I have been fishing forever, being older than dirt. But Kokanee have me stumped.
I have had very sporadic success.
I fish in Dutch lake , Clearwater, BC but have also fished in sulphurous, Deka, Bridge with mixed success.
I am talking ice fishing as I target trout in open water season, as a fly fisherman.
First of all can anyone tell me of a good book on koke ice fishing? I haven't found one yet.
What about your flasher, I have been using the Deka lake flasher with the glow hook that comes with it. I think the glow hook is too big but what do I know.
Fish it about sixteen inches below flasher with any where from one to five maggots.
I will get nothing but small ones while another guy five feet away will be pulling in big ones.
Don't get me wrong I have had some good days but mostly frustration.
I think they are hard to catch through the ice.
Any help or advice you can give will be much appreciated.

SuperD
01-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Calvin, the Canada forum doesn't get a lot of traffic. I know there are some real active ice fishermen on the Idaho forum. MM_Don, for example, post fairly often on Ririe Lake. Check out that forum and send some PM's need be.

platypus
02-14-2012, 10:39 PM
--I'll be at Dutch in august... not sure if I'll bring boat or fishing kayaks..see what the plans are for visiting lakes in the area.
--Sorry can't help on the ice fishing for kokes.. we have open water here most of the year.
--Fisheries might be stalking a few more lakes in the area with triploid kokes which may increase ice fishing opportunities.