PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee through the Ice?

Fishin24-7
01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Hello all!I was wondering if anyone goes up to luckypeak or arrowrock to icefish for them?I have been reading alot of past forums but havnt seen anything locally.I just bought a three man shanty and an auger ,I love to catch trout and perch but am looking for some salmon for the smoker.I took my family to horsethief yesterday,We caught a few of F n G finest,bite was fairly good.I finally figured out that in thirty feet of water off the dam they were either at 30 or cruising at 10 ft mark.I finally decided to teach myself the flasher on my color lowrance and wow is that thing cool,Instant read without a history trail!I like it!On the lake ice lvl, its apprx 16 inchs!Goodluck!

MMDON
01-25-2012, 02:29 PM
I love my Lowrance Ice Machine! Koke fishing is pretty common over here in Eastern Idaho. Mackay has good Koke fishing and is probably closer to you.

Not sure how the ice over your way. Never get any Koke reports from the two lakes you mentioned.

kodiak1
01-25-2012, 08:29 PM
The ice is often dangerous at these two locations. They are most often raising the water level at 1/2 feet a day or more. I watched a man go through the ice several years ago off of Barclay Bay, and he drowned. There were probably 20 people on the ice that day, but he decided to head out farther than the rest, on some very blue ice. We happened to be parked on the overlook when it happened. More often than not there is good fishing on the open edges of the ice in the spring, where the ice is retreating from below Arrowrock towards the Springs Shore area. So, be very careful. Mike

jimbojump
01-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Last I was up to Arrowrock there was barely any ice on it...and they have been constantly raising the water in it and I think that pretty well stops any ice formation...gonna head up soon and give trolling another go...heres to hopin.

Fishin24-7
02-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Thx all!!Going to try the payette this weekend for them.F and G have put a ton of kokes in here so if the lakers hav'nt eatin all of them I hope to get one or two!

Fishin24-7
02-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Finally got my kokes through the ice!Got a few in fact!We Iced four fish that went 16 inches one is about 14 inches.We had half a dozen on but lost them.So this is what Ill say about catching kokes through the ice,1 find the deepest water in the area known for them,find the first big step up in depth and fish on that break(kokes cruise like rainbows in schools)Set up rods shallow about 5to 8 feet under the ice ,we were in 25 fow.I have taught my kids the flasher so they start yelling inside the shanty when they come through,they hit all the poles we have down all at once and we had about 50 ft circle of poles(big schools).In five hrs they came through about 6 times.I have found a better intersection im going to try this weekend.We caught our fish on chartruece and orange and pink mini tubes jigged with a 16th oz jighead inside.We had all our rods jigging in the wind,one of our rods had the flag broke and didnt jig that rod got hit once all day(fyi)I am by no means a koke expert but it sure felt like standard rainbow fishing which also came by in schools and we caught right along with .Just thought if someone was feeling like it might have a secret to it?I will get some pics next week if we get into anymore.Ill bet most of you are itchin for ice off!!!!

Fishdork
02-21-2012, 08:41 PM
I lived in Boise for 3 years around 1980. Never caught kokanee in either lake. Fished Arrowrock one winter day when the water was so low the 3 outlet holes on the dam were high and dry on the upstream side. Caught our limit of nice rainbow slow trolling flatfish and ford fenders or cowbells.
When it was time to leave, the mud we launched on had thawed out and we thought we might get stuck. No problems.
Squawfish/pike minnows are trash fish but casting grasshoppers from the bank to catch 3 pound fish in Lucky Peak was fun. Must pause on strike for them to get their gums wrapped around them.