PDA

View Full Version : Splatter Blades?

SuperD
01-21-2012, 11:13 AM
How do you make your splatter blades? Just made a batch of #00 & #0 for my hootchies and micros. For this batch I used the fury tail of my dogs chew toy. LOL!

BorntoFish01
01-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Looks great....might have to try that if I can get the dog to cooperate and let go.... ;-)

trollmonkey
01-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Those look sweet Super D.thumbsup Did you use UV paint? I have some UV splatter blade spinners from Art at Kokanee Creek that I can't wait to try,just got to get to the lake.

SuperD
01-21-2012, 06:14 PM
That was kind of the point of the post to see how other guys make / apply the splatter.

RalphL
01-21-2012, 06:17 PM
is there an advantage to splatter over solid? Or is it just cool looking ?

SuperD
01-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Put a UV light on it and you'll have your answer.

RalphL
01-22-2012, 12:53 PM
I completely get the benefits of the UV,(allthough I have'nt had a UV light since the 60's) but I'm curious as to the benefits of splatter over a solid color. As I see it, if ,say ,orenge flourescant, is hot under a specific lake condition,than you want all of the hot color you can present, not dimished by splattering.. Could we not get a better result by painting both sides of a blade in one color,(more hot color presentation,) and havig a large variety of different colors in the tackle box,, than by diminishing the effectiveness of our only ace in the hole(color)by lessening it's amount. When I find the hot color for the conditions, every rod on the boat gets changed to that color. When the action slows(sun angle ,water clarity,temp etc.)than finding the next most visable color usually heats things up again. Seems like multi colors on a lure would confuse things.

platypus
01-22-2012, 02:07 PM
--another different effect is to not paint individual blades..
--dump several blades in a pile then spread them out so portions of the blades overlap.. then splatter over entire batch. especialy the end with the hole in it as it makes some blades appear to have an eye
--will give some interesting patters.

--I know, I know... I'm looking for a picture but have my basement pulled appart now and all my gear is piled in one corner.

SuperD
01-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Seems like multi colors on a lure would confuse things.
I guess you have to have bought into the premise that contrast catches more fish. I'm on the opposite end from your view. I'll seldom if ever run a lure that is all the same color. In fact those Arnies you sent me are 2 different colors. Maybe you just don't know that you believe in multi colors. LOL!

Tell me what fish wouldn't want some of this?

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8353/pinkgrub.jpg

Kokanee-Toni
01-22-2012, 09:36 PM
How do you make your splatter blades? Just made a batch of #00 & #0 for my hootchies and micros. For this batch I used the fury tail of my dogs chew toy. LOL!

I have used spatter dodgers but I don't have any blades like that. What base do you use for the blades? Vinyl or powder? What kind of paint do you use for the splatter?

SuperD
01-22-2012, 10:49 PM
I buy painted white blades and then splatter with fluorescent paint. Follow that with a shot of UV Flash and the a clear coat of lacquer.

RalphL
01-22-2012, 11:57 PM
I guess you have to have bought into the premise that contrast catches more fish. I'm on the opposite end from your view. I'll seldom if ever run a lure that is all the same color. In fact those Arnies you sent me are 2 different colors. Maybe you just don't know that you believe in multi colors. LOL!

Tell me what fish wouldn't want some of this?

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8353/pinkgrub.jpg

heck, I want to take a bite out of that!!! Your right, very few lures are all one color. but splatter seems more like camoflage than a highlighted prime color, which most lures seem to have. But...If splatter works-- I'll'splatter paint my boat.