PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger on a Crestline

Red Hook
01-18-2012, 01:22 PM
I just bought 2 cannon electric downriggers. I am going to mount them on a crestliner. The gunnels only have about 4 in of usable space. i am looking see if anyone has any ideas, or history with crestline and cannon.
thanks

SuperD
01-18-2012, 01:40 PM
View my post on the downriggers on bass boat thread if you haven't already. But with close to 4" gunnel, you would be a prime candidate for either a Bert's Custom Tackle Track Mount. If space on the boat is an issue, the track system might be ideal.

http://www.teclausa.com/old%20Bert/bert/products.html

Red Hook
01-19-2012, 01:18 PM
I have seen the Bert,s track mounts on line and they look good. What I am worried about is the stress the downriggers will put on the gunnels. Do you think the gunnels will need any additional bracing? Will backing inside the gunnels be enough? I guess i just don't know how much the downrigger will load mounts.

jacksonlaker
01-19-2012, 04:11 PM
I own a 2004 Crestliner Superhawk with 4" gunnels. I have older Cannon downriggers with narrow mounts that fit. I actually secured them with large self-tapping screws into the aluminum gunnels. I check them every year and tighten the screws once in a while. If you use 10 lb weights there is a fair amount of stress on the rigger mounts. For Kokes I use 6 lb weights. I would try to thru-bolt them on somehow, even if you have to make something. I'm waiting for the day when my riggers fall in so can get new electrics !!!

SuperD
01-19-2012, 07:34 PM
RH, which model of downriggers did you get? I was at the ISE show today and made a special effort to look at the Crestliner gunnels. My answer about withstanding stress will be dependent on which downriggers you plan on mounting. Something like Mag 5's or less, you are going to be rock solid. If you go Mag 10's, I'd recommend the mount I used on the fiberglass boats, either the V-Lock or the custom angle and plate.

sawtooth
01-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Red Hook,
I have a 2005 Crestliner Serenity with 4" gunnels. My two year old Mag 5's fit just fine. I used 1/4 inch thick 3.5" x 9" plate of aluminum as a backing inside the gunnels. I use 10 lb. pancake weights and they are rock solid. You will need longer bolts then the ones provided and make sure to use nylon locking nuts as they are a bit tough to get on and you won't want to have to tighten them very often.

Red Hook
01-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the input. It is going to be a couple weeks till I can get to the install. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Bluknight
01-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Red Hook - I had my Cannon Mag 5's mounted on my Lund (similar to Crestline setup) a few years back. My gunnel had a piece of 1/2" marine plywood under it that I mounted straight through. If I remember correctly I believe the Cannon mounting instructions talked about how much thickness you needed if you were not putting the backer plate in.

If you don't have that 1/2" plywood under your gunnel I'd be very hesitant to direct mount that rigger to a standard aluminum hull. Their a bit thin.

My Cannons are mounted on my Hewescraft now and with thickness of the gunnel material I think I can tow another boat with them!