PDA

View Full Version : lures i need to buy

rebelsportsman
01-13-2012, 01:30 PM
i need to buy a few lures for kokanee fishing. what are a few lures i need for sure to fish with, either drift or trolling, on the lakes around buena vista this summer.

SmokeOnTheWater
01-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Let me start off by saying "I have no idea what Texas Kokanee prefer".

Lots of folks comment on their personal preferences on this site so allow me to condense the selection a bit. Kokanee seem to prefer erratic movement so if you're just starting to build your koke lure arsenal, there are a few necessities.

1. Small flashers/dodgers (4.5" - 6")
2. Lures are an the small side (1" - 3")
3. Lure choices - Needlefish, Apex Hot Spots, Squid bodies (could use Crappie Tubes if ya got em)
4. Lure colors seem to stay in the pink, red & orange range
5. I like to use floroucarbon leader (6# - 12# depending on the size of fish)
6. Snubbers if your fishing rod is a fast action variety

This info should get you started atleast. Check out the Kokanee vendors on this website for a GREAT starting place to buy your tackle.

Good Fishing!

RalphL
01-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Basic go to lures would be standard wedding rings (i prefer the double whammy) apex -hootchies -arnies -black mepps ..Start with the pink,flourescent orange, use darker mepps on overcast days. Use 4-6-inch dodgers and get the rig down with a DR or lead line. Stay closer to shore in the early spring(warmer water is where the plankton will be) and try to stay with the schools when you find them. You will get the hang of it after a bit and learn the lakes preferences,,,,and take a kid fishing whenever you can.! PM me wheh you get to Heron and we can boat a few together..Good luck

SuperD
01-15-2012, 08:51 PM
I've only fished Kokes in Colorado once but Uncle Larry's spinners and Ken's Custom Tackle spinners worked really well. Be sure to buy yourself some Powerbait maggots in pink to tip your hooks!

RalphL
01-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Is corn legal in Colorado?? I dont fish anything that isn't tipped with shoepeg. Are the maggots an alternative??

SuperD
01-17-2012, 12:01 PM
These work well enough to use in places where corn is legal and an absolute must have in places where corn isn't legal.

rebelsportsman
01-17-2012, 02:54 PM
i have a jar of the maggots for panfish here.

SuperD
01-17-2012, 04:16 PM
i have a jar of the maggots for panfish here.
Okay, you are half way home. get yourself a little bottle of Pro Cure Gel in Garlic Plus and mix some in the jar of maggots to allow them to marinate a bit. Use 2 to 3 maggots to tip your hooks and should be "fish on!"

rebelsportsman
02-04-2012, 04:51 PM
will sabiki rigs work? i am saltwater fishing on the texas coast right now and have seen these rigs in the store. they are mainly used to catch bait. the different colored rigs look kind of like hoochies to me. i have never seen the hoochies in person.

SuperD
02-05-2012, 11:57 AM
The ocean bait rigs I've always seen sold use more of a fly hook than a hoochie. But they may have changed with time. The multi hook leaders used for bait fish would also be an issue for Kokes. Have you bought any real Koke gear yet?

rebelsportsman
02-05-2012, 12:28 PM
the hooks are smaller. they come where you can use one or more of the sabikis at a time. i think i should just go ahead and get a kit from kokanee kid. i have not bought any real koke gear yet, except a downrigger.

SuperD
02-05-2012, 03:34 PM
An RMT starter kit would also be a smart pick up.

SilverBullets
02-05-2012, 11:36 PM
For some great tackle at reasonable prices check out our vendors here on KFF. signfishin

stratofisher
08-15-2012, 10:17 PM
If you are fishing blue mesa you need Mity lites to jig in August