PDA

View Full Version : Never caught a koke

LurkinLizard
12-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Hi all. Daughter and I have never caught a kokanee. Live in the SLC area. Been hitting Causey to try to get one, finding schools (I think they were kokes!) on the fishfinder but no bites. Skunked 3 times at Causey now, the 4th time caught a tiger and a few little bows. Any advice on ice fishing kokes at Causey (or anywhere else within a couple hours of SLC!) would be very gratefully welcomed.

SmokeOnTheWater
12-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Kokanee through the ice can be EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING as it's usually a BOOM or BUST adventure. If you're finding schools of fish then they're most likely Kokes and when they move through your set up the catching can be FAST and FURIUOS; otherwise, your just sitting around with a bunch of ice holes. Fishing the PIG a few years ago was my first experience and it was just as I've already mentioned. I think we were on the ice for about five hours and had the kokes move through about three times. When we weren't marking clouds of fish, the action was watching wildlife on the surrounding hillsides but when they came through, you didn't even have time or the need to re-bait you lure. Bait or no bait, it didn't matter. The best tip I can give is to punch several holes and everyone in your group has a sonar running. Spread out and when anyone marks the cloud, move over and fish the school. They won't stay long but during their brief stay you might pull four or five through the ice.

LurkinLizard
12-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Kokanee through the ice can be EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING as it's usually a BOOM or BUST adventure. If you're finding schools of fish then they're most likely Kokes and when they move through your set up the catching can be FAST and FURIUOS; otherwise, your just sitting around with a bunch of ice holes. Fishing the PIG a few years ago was my first experience and it was just as I've already mentioned. I think we were on the ice for about five hours and had the kokes move through about three times. When we weren't marking clouds of fish, the action was watching wildlife on the surrounding hillsides but when they came through, you didn't even have time or the need to re-bait you lure. Bait or no bait, it didn't matter. The best tip I can give is to punch several holes and everyone in your group has a sonar running. Spread out and when anyone marks the cloud, move over and fish the school. They won't stay long but during their brief stay you might pull four or five through the ice.

Thanks so much, Smoke! It's usually just me and my daughter ice fishing. I did get a fish finder for Christmas and I swear at least 3 times we had schools move through when we were at Causey, but could not get them to bite on anything. Tubes, ice flies, ratfinkees, tipped with waxies, mealies, whatever--no bites.

Three skunkings now at Causey, and still trying to catch the dang kokanee!tongue2

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "The Pig"?

Thanks again for the info!

nofish
12-29-2011, 04:15 PM
first off welcome , the PIG is Porcupine Res. it is up by Paridise. lots of small koke in there.tooexcited

Kokehead
12-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Try using small jigging spoons like castmasters or Swedish pimples tipped with waxies or gulp maggots...

LurkinLizard
12-29-2011, 11:59 PM
first off welcome , the PIG is Porcupine Res. it is up by Paridise. lots of small koke in there.tooexcited

Okay, lol...I've heard that name "Pig" but had no idea what it was. Thanks so much for the translation!

LurkinLizard
12-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Try using small jigging spoons like castmasters or Swedish pimples tipped with waxies or gulp maggots...

Thanks Kokehead, I stopped at Sportsmans this evening and grabbed some of those Swedish pimples...will try it tomorrow. Thanks for the advice, very much!

CoyoteSpinner
01-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Okay, lol...I've heard that name "Pig" but had no idea what it was. Thanks so much for the translation!

It throws off the lurkers
101chromefish101
nananana

I gotta get me out after some iced-kokes this year. Picked up a pack of blade-style spoons. Don't know all the brand names, but shiny/glittery red/green/pink - bent spoons - much like a pimple. Between those and some other grub like ice-jigs - could mean business. They do dance well on a drop.

I think the key is finding the depth they're passing - then putting yourself on top of it. (sure - sounds easy, right?!) WISH!

Not sure how Causey flows, but Porky has a VERY deep end by the damn - then more of a scooped mid-section. And somewhere along those ledges - they'll come running through. Maybe a line of Jawjackers set at 5-10 ft depths - but starting at least 20 down.

TrophyBoat
01-11-2012, 11:06 PM
My two cents on kokes through the ice.

A. lures that you can run up and down the water column quickly (swedish pimples, humdingers, and when they are finicky a kastmaster above and icefly are my go to's)

B. Electronics. kokes may come through hot and heavy and blackout a 5-20' water column, but you gotta have your lure in there for em to bite.

C. Find where they run consistently at that specific water, this may take 10 years or 10 minutes depending on your fishing partner.I have caught limits of koke on the ice over 20' of water on some ponds to over 100' of water on others. Haven't quite related structure to anything yet.

D. Wait em out, for me typically good koke spots suck for trout but you have to put in your time for when the schools comes through.

E Be ready, have multiple rods setup so your not fumbling around a fish on the ice when the school is under you. O and typically you are wasting your time re-baiting because they hit anything when they are there.

F Get LUCKY.

LurkinLizard
01-12-2012, 08:33 AM
My two cents on kokes through the ice.

A. lures that you can run up and down the water column quickly (swedish pimples, humdingers, and when they are finicky a kastmaster above and icefly are my go to's)

B. Electronics. kokes may come through hot and heavy and blackout a 5-20' water column, but you gotta have your lure in there for em to bite.

C. Find where they run consistently at that specific water, this may take 10 years or 10 minutes depending on your fishing partner.I have caught limits of koke on the ice over 20' of water on some ponds to over 100' of water on others. Haven't quite related structure to anything yet.

D. Wait em out, for me typically good koke spots suck for trout but you have to put in your time for when the schools comes through.

E Be ready, have multiple rods setup so your not fumbling around a fish on the ice when the school is under you. O and typically you are wasting your time re-baiting because they hit anything when they are there.

F Get LUCKY.

That's great info, thank you Trophy Boat! I WILL catch a koke. I am determined. Just haven't done it yet. :) Thanks all!!