PDA

View Full Version : Arrowrock trip

jimbojump
12-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Went out for the day on Wed...was trolling pink hoochies and dodgers...fish marking from 35 to 55 deep...very spuratic and fish were sparse...landed 5 trout and one koke...it was super gusty so fishing my fav spots was tough at best...tried a new area to escape the wind and managed to land a beauty of a Bull trout, radio tag and all...lol...first one for me so pretty excited there...not sure why but 3 times that day I reeled in my gear to find my hoochie gone and the leader cut...kinda strange...not sure how its happeneing as I never saw a rod bounce like it got hammered...must be some razor toothed fish down there hahahaha...anyway res is almost at full and water temps are around 37...still letting in water at 6 inches per day so I dont see it freezing anytime soon unless that changes...

Fish On!!!
12-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Fresh water shark?

jimbojump
12-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Nice one...hahaha...if there is im a gonna catch one!

luckykoke
02-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Jimbojump
Hey I was wondering if you had more information on that bull trout. I work for the Bureau of Reclamation and we tagged those fish this past winter. Could you tell me the general health of the fish, where you caught it, what you caught it on, and would you happen to have any close up pictures of the tag number or by chance have written down the tag number? Thanks for your time. If you want to PM me that would be fine too. Two other of our bull trout were caught up on the south fork recently too. If anyone else catches the tagged fish or even non-tagged bull trout any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Lucky

jimbojump
02-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Hey Lucky...I was in a hurry to get it back in the water to be perfectly honest...he was hooked inside the mouth by two hooks and was giving me alot of flippin and floppin so by the time I got the hooks out and snapped a quick couple pics it was definately time to get him back in the water...I assumed that since the tag was one of the fish they just put on....he was obviously tagged in the recent effort a few months back...the incision in his belly was still healing from the staples and such as well...I would estimate him at around 20 inches long...good color...energetic...all around healthy fish...If I catch one again in the future I'll be sure to get the tag number. As far as the location... there is a place in the far end I call the peanut bowls...just past the south fork and then a semi narrow canyon it opens up into two adjoining bowls followed by the entrance to the middle fork...there is a campground in between the two bowls with a portolet house with a green roof...so that should help you find it in general...specifically, he was on the left hand side sandy bank just as you enter the first bowl heading towards the campground also on your left...he was in about 50-60 feet of water down near bottom...I caught him on a dodger/hoochie rig...I was targeting Kokes so I was suprised I got him...I probably hit Arrowrock hundreds of times this past summer and never caught one before...so I was pumped...notch him off my bucket list. I hope this helps...let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Jim

luckykoke
02-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Jim,
Thanks for all the good info. I too am surprised that you caught it on kokanee gear. Pretty amazing. Well glad to know that they are still out there swimming around collecting data. Good luck fishing.
Lucky

idaho_Grizz
02-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Jimbo Did you read in the paper today about the Bull Trout using arrowrock and they are starting to get bigger. I wish we had a good big fish reservoir in this part of the state. I hate put and take trout, wish the state would do a better job.

jimbojump
02-16-2012, 07:06 PM
I was looking into the whole Lake trout in LP thing...they stocked it with 75k of them over 4 years in the 90's....I would assume they are the giants on the sonar that always show down around 180 feet and deeper...looking into it more...
Also I was considering trolling a 3-4 inch sqauw looking swimbait for the Bull Trout on Arrowrock soon...I have to find the right swimbait though