PDA

View Full Version : Gps

smokepoles
12-21-2011, 06:14 PM
I am thinking of a GPS for the boat. I already have a Humminbird sounder that works well and I am happy with and not looking to replace. Additionally, I prefer separate gps and sounder units as the split screen stuff (at least in my price range) does not do it for me.

My main requirements for a on-boat GPS is that it accept maps of bottom contours (i.e., channels at the Gorge and Strawberry), track routes and mark way points. A separate antenna is not needed on my boat.

So, I am thinking of a hand-held Garmin Oregon 450 placed in a mount on the dash. Screen size is of course an issue, but the ability to take anywhere hunting, ice fishing, driving is a big plus. The capability of these units is amazing compared to what was available even in full size chartplotters a few years ago, and probably way more than I require.

Finally as to why a Garmin: My buddy has the lake maps for Garmins, and I have an older hand-held unit such that I am basically familiar with their operating system. I expect the new touch screen should be great on the boat, and lends itself to simplified interface as compared to controlling with toggles, etc.

So, does anyone use this or other hand-held gps on their boat?

SuperD
12-21-2011, 09:54 PM
I initially bought a hand held garmin for my boat and hated it. A 2" screen just doesn't cut it. I'd recommend either a straight gps dash mount or a split system unit that you just use the full screen gps function.

lowe1648mt
12-21-2011, 10:44 PM
I use a Magellan Eplorest XL. I like it because the screen size is largest of all hand helds. I use it in my car, boat, and on hikes. It accepts topo,road, and lake maps. it is a 2007 model that is available on E-Bay (new or used).The SD card that I installed holds all 48 contiguous states with room to spare. Several different mounts are available. Also it's color.
3.5" screen

Targa165
12-22-2011, 01:31 PM
I just bought a Garmin Oregon 550t. I bought it for hunting and traveling. I have a Lowrance HDS 5 in my boat right now with lake insight. I suppose if I didn't have the Lowrance I would be able to get by with the Garmin but I like having at least the 5 inch screen. I use it some on the split screen but I don't like it split so I keep changing screens between chart plotter and sonar when I'm trying to stay on top of an area. Moving the screen on the lowrance is kind of a pain in the rear though. The one thing that might make the Garmin touch screen work just fine is the ability to drag the screen with your finger, that could make it easier to keep the screen where you want it. I am definately going to try the Garmin 550t on my boat this summer. I think the only difference between the 550 and the 450 is the camera. You might look on Amazon because I was able to buy the 550t for $409 with no sales tax and free shipping to my office door just 2 weeks ago. I wanted the t because that gives you the United States road and city map installed in the system from the factory, it even has the forest service two track roads on it. I went ahead and bought the Wyoming land status map that comes in the chip you install. I may have to look at the lake map chips if I like the way it works on the boat.

smokepoles
12-23-2011, 10:21 AM
As always, good advice here.

Has anyone tried tried the free (donations accepted) maps from this site:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php

One gps review I read stated not to spend your money on the pre-loaded gps recievers, just go there.