PDA

View Full Version : New to area

Snagum1
12-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Hello I have just pcs from Georgia to Tacoma and looking to get into some good fishing whether river or stream or saltwater as long as it doesn't require a boat at the moment. Any help would be appreciated not asking for the secret spot just a general idea and I will find the sugar hole. Looking forward to catching some salmon and some nice trout.

Tight lines

SmokeOnTheWater
12-09-2011, 09:31 AM
McChord or Fort Lewis?

Try the MWR Sports rentals for boats built for Puget Sound. Pt. Defiance Boat House used to be a good place if you don't have access to a boat, you can fish right from the pier.

If you rent a boat from anywhere, DON'T GET CAUGHT IN THE TACOMA NARROWS DURING TIDE CHANGE !

Snagum1
12-09-2011, 11:07 AM
I am at mcchord And thanks for the info about the tides. I will look there at point d! And hopefully can get something

SmokeOnTheWater
12-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I haven't fished there (PD) for quite some time but they used to sell live herring right there in the boat house tackle shop. It was a great getaway if you like fishing from a pier. A couple of us would head there after work and fish all night under the lights.

Don't ever pass on a chance to fish American Lake for Kokanee and trout. A great place for the kids too if you have em. Try rivers like the Green and Puyallup this time of year for the steelhead run. If you're willing to drive a bit south, there is the Toutle and Cowlitz that also boast good runs of salmon and steelhead. Avoid the Nisqually because it always was so muddy and far too many gill nets.

The area around Tacoma should be called FISHING CENTRAL!

BobW
12-09-2011, 01:07 PM
The nets are in on the Nasty from noon Sunday to noon Wedsday. There should be Chum salmon in there now. Lots of fun and fishing on the Mounts road side gets rid of some of the fishermen. I may be down there Sunday in the morning. You should give it a try.

KOK head
12-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Hey BOBW the nasty is not doing that good this year try the green been limiting out on bright chrom chum on the upper green and some winter steelhead showing up last few days ! use float and jig tiped with shrimp !~ good luck and tight lines !

BobW
12-09-2011, 10:21 PM
I've been doing ok, both in the river, and in the sound at the mouth.