PDA

View Full Version : Transom Savers

smokepoles
11-21-2011, 01:32 PM
I do not want to get into the merits/demerits of a transom saver. However, my 1990 90 hp evinrude needs to be tilted up a good bit for trailering to provide road clearance, and I feel a transom saver is warranted to so that pressure can be taken off the motor lift. The previous owner used a trailer roller to motor transom saver, but it is a cheap one and in need of replacement. Also, I would think if such unit does anything to take a load off the hydraulics, it also puts a lot of stress on the motors lower unit.

So, I was thinking of a lock'n stow or a lock'n haul (maybe they could come up with closer names?). Anyone use these and can comment on pluses and minuses.

Maybe just a 2x4 if it will provide enough clearance?

SmokeOnTheWater
11-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey Smokepoles

Transom Savers are just what the name implies. When you raise your big motor, there is a moment arm created that is greater than when the motor is in the level (running) position. This moment arm creates greater torque around the motors pivot point. As you hit a bump in the road when the motor is raised and not supported, this torque is transferred to the transom and can create stress fractures in the composition of the transom material whatever it is. Buy a good transom saver and use it.

Now a question for you or anyone else out there. I have a 100hp Yamaha that does not have hydraulic steering. Does anyone know if there is a steering lock available for this set up? Appreciate the help!

trollmonkey
11-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Hey Smokepoles ,Google motormate .They make an interesting setup manufactured in my neck of the woods WNC. That said the unit braces the weight of the motor against the motor mount bracket,which looks like it would still be tough on the transom. I"m with Smokeonthewater I like regular transom savers.

Full_Monte
11-24-2011, 10:05 AM
I also believe that the trailer-to-motor lower unit is the way to go. Those shims and smaller approaches don't remove the moment from the transom.
You do need one or you will get a cracked transom.

Full_Monte
11-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Hey Smokepoles

Transom Savers are just what the name implies. When you raise your big motor, there is a moment arm created that is greater than when the motor is in the level (running) position. This moment arm creates greater torque around the motors pivot point. As you hit a bump in the road when the motor is raised and not supported, this torque is transferred to the transom and can create stress fractures in the composition of the transom material whatever it is. Buy a good transom saver and use it.

Now a question for you or anyone else out there. I have a 100hp Yamaha that does not have hydraulic steering. Does anyone know if there is a steering lock available for this set up? Appreciate the help!

Smoke,

Howdy! I am unaware of a specific product for your problem, but can you adjust the tension on the steering mechanism? My 25HP allows me to do this
and I'm thinking that if you adjust it tight, it might work as a lock. I presume you want this to keep the motor from flopping while traveling on the trailer. True?

SmokeOnTheWater
11-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Absolutely!

I've seen models made from white plastic (PVC) that snap onto the steering rods and act like stops for just this purpose. But again, I don't have hydraulic steering and that's what they are designed for. I'll have to look into adopting your method as I had to remanufacture my transom saver from the aluminum model to weldable steel. The lean of the motor started to split the seams on the square aluminum support rod where the motor bracket is attached. Simple fix - make it stronger.

Rather than a tilt steering wheel at the helm, there should be a way to lock the steering wheel from turning. Now, there's a challenge for all you would-be inventors out there. I'd rather see something with a positive lock than mess with steering tension every time I have to trailer the boat somewhere.

smokepoles
11-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Well, I guess I'll stick with the transom saver - trailer roller to motor. Any advice on best brand? Especially, are the spring loaded ones useful or improvement?