PDA

View Full Version : retirement plans

idaho_Grizz
11-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Well it has been a little slow on here so I thought I would try to get a little discussion going. I am getting to that time in my life after 38 years on the job that I am about ready to hang it up. I love fishing, and have fished my whole life, places in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. I have saved up and have an 18 foot Crestline and a 25 hp motor so I can run about 20 mph and troll all day long. It has downriggers and anything else you might need for fishing on good size lakes. I like fishing for kokanee and trout, the bigger the trout, the better. Also have thought about learning to fish for lake trout, like those picture of the big ones. So if you had time, and my setup, what places would you like to fish for the big ones? What type of fish and time of year? Western Canada and the US. I am staring my research of lakes to try

kodiak1
11-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the world of retirement! My wife and I have both enjoying retirement after a combined 66 years in the classroom. Here are two suggestions: Payette Lake for big macs. My wife's last macinaw was 33 pounds. It takes some learning, but with a downrigger and lots of adjusting to keep it close to the bottom, you can find them. I have been fishing for them up there for almost 50 years. Second recommendation: Kootenay Lake, in B.C. About three hours north of Coeur d' Alene. Amazing fishing for super large kamploops (Gerrard) rainbows, dolly vardens, and the lake also has kokanee. It is 99 miles long, so you will have plenty of elbow room! Trout are frequently caught in the 20-25 pound range. Buy a cheap Sidewinder side planer for about $10 bucks, and pull streamers on the surface. Also, troll deep with plughs or flasher/squid combos. Three fish days are common with fish averaging about 8 pounds, with an occasional big guy. Google Gill and Gift, the local tackle shop, who regularly posts fishing reports; also Reel Adventures and Kootenay Kingfisher, who also post reports. Hope that helps. Mike

SuperD
11-16-2011, 06:52 PM
I've heard stories of big macks at Flathead Lake, ID.

RalphL
11-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Is there a Flathead in Idaho?? I cought a lot of Big Mac's in Mont..

SuperD
11-17-2011, 12:53 PM
My oops Ralph, yes, Montana.

MMDON
11-18-2011, 06:55 PM
I wish it was in Idaho!!!

TrophyBoat
11-19-2011, 03:06 AM
Flaming gorge is know to spit out a few trophy lakers here and there, and the kokanee fishing is excellent too!!!

rebelsportsman
11-20-2011, 06:11 PM
i have been retired for 7 years now and hunt or fish most of the time. if you ever get down to texas give me a shout and i will show you some fish down here. i fish for anything that will bite. i plan on learning to kokanee fish in colorado this summer. we will be staying there for at least 2 months.

avid_outdoorsman
11-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Flaming Gorge for Kokes?

Wallowa Lake for Kokes?

Bduck
11-23-2011, 09:05 AM
How about Bear Lake,Idaho/Utah? It has the big lakers and plenty of Cutthroats.